Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Ongoing UF Softball Commentary

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by ocalaman, Feb 20, 2022.

1. orangeblue77

orangeblue77 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 19, 2023
    Florida
    Well said. CTW is already one of the greatest coaches in softball history, he certainly knows the sport and his team far better than myself or anyone else.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Can't blow up your staff in a lost cause when there are 3 more games to play in a short window. Live to fight another day

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    I read on another site that the team was supposed to fly out Wednesday, but didn't leave Tampa until 7 am. Thursday. Playing a late game with jet lag, without their leader, plus without Goddard, and then going up against maybe the best pitcher in D1 and the #1 overall team, they just weren't mentally ready, IMO. Flush it, get ready for UC Riverside this afternoon (4 pm EST) and then Oregon & Fullerton Saturday. Go Gators!!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    I love Tim Walton and have been an avid Gator softball fan even before he was hired. He is, no doubt, one of the greatest softball coaches ever. However, no one is perfect and disagreeing with his decision to play only 2 outfielders is not thinking I know more than him. I was simply pointing out the truth - that last night against UCLA that strategy didn't work. I started this thread last year and it's now up to 68 pages of, hopefully, both objective and subjective discussion that allows us to agree or disagree in a respectful way. Coach Walton used the 5 infielder, 2 outfielder alignment several times with Katie Chronister and it worked quite a lot. Trlicek is primarily a drop ball pitcher who normally induces a lot of ground balls, so trying that set-up early in the season is perfectly understandable, IMO. My personal opinion, from watching literally hundreds of softball games over the last 25 years, is that for the long haul against really good teams, you'll get burned more than not. Last night was one of those cases, although the outcome of the game wouldn't have changed either way.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    HEY I resemble that remark.:cool:

6. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    That remark was not directed at you and the others on this forum that offer constructive criticism and insight to the game-it's the driveby attackers that only show up when things are not going well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    While I always cross my fingers and close my eyes every time he does the shift, the fact is he has done it a lot and you can count on one hand when it has backfired. Last night being one of those. On another note, I heard Olivia's injury is a bruise on her glove hand and no break. I am unable to verify the source for that. Also, does anyone know the extent of Goddard's injury? It sure didn't look good. I've never understood why Walton is so tight lipped on injuries. This isn't football where you want to hide your QB has a bum knee because the defense will go after it. You can't attack a softball player's injury.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    HIPAA is part of it. I'm always a little surprised the players themselves don't comment on their own social media

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Thanks for the update on Gigante. I've looked and can't find any details on Goddard. I don't even know if she's with the team in Palm Springs.

11. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Yep, HIPAA could be a factor in the event the player invokes it for privacy but that seems to very rarely happen. Unless it is hiding an injury, you very often get injury details for football, basketball, and other sports including the diagnosis and the prognosis for how long the player will be on the shelf. The only one I can remember Walton acknowledging was Hannah's injury last year and he really didn't have much of a choice given her status on the team and the fact everyone saw the injury on tv.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. orangeblue77

Feb 19, 2023
    Florida
    Yeah thanks for update on Gigante, just praying Goddard injury isn’t serious. Heart breaks for her if it is.

13. orangeblue77

Feb 19, 2023
    Florida
    If I recall there were some issues with social media back in 2012. CTW might have put a lid on it during season after that.

14. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Somebody posted on another thread that the Gator announcers said Goddard is lost for the season. By the way we lost both games today. Got 1-hit by Oregon and beat 8-0, as Elizabeth Hightower gave up 3 HR's in 4.2 innings and Rylee Trlicek gave up another bomb. In Game 2, Cal St. Fullerton beat us 5-4 in 8 innings on a 2-run walk off HR off Hightower in the bottom of the 8th after the Gators had taken a 4-3 lead in the top of the inning. Lexie Delbrey started the game and the 3 runs against her were all unearned, although there was a 2-run HR involved. Hightower relieved in the 4th inning withy UF trailing 3-0 and held them scoreless while the Gators mounted a comeback and tied the game in the 6th, but EH gets her second loss of the day by allowing the walkoff homer. The Gators outhit the Titans 10-8 , plus had 4 walks to their 0, but we stranded 10 baserunners and just couldn't get clutch hits most of the game. Florida is now 11-3, having lost to the only 3 really good teams they've played so far. It seems they may have been overrated to start the season, but time will tell. The team is off until they go to Birmingham to play UAB Friday, Saturday & Sunday.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. GatorChoice

GatorChoice GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Wesley Chapel, Florida
    Expectations tempered.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

Let's see what happens as Delbrey works into form and hitters remember how good teams play.
    Shouldn't think that the early games meant much.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    Will these games be streamed? Not showing on ESPN+ or SEC+.

18. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    First 2 are on CUSA TV. Doesnt have last game listed.

19. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    Is there a charge? What is the quality of the broadcast?

20. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    Been at least year since used it, so I dont remember either lol.. if a charge ,like 6 or 7 bux.. but think it was free

There is a cusa app for smart tv or phone though.. I do know that

Heres the website link
    SB: Florida vs UAB (conferenceusa.com)

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1