Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Ongoing UF Softball Commentary

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by ocalaman, Feb 20, 2022.

1. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    It was a mutual disgust of games not being on video for no reason. Same interest as any other. I watch every SEC/area team, every game(i have lots of screens). So also found it annoying the UF games werent on, which was subject I replied to. Think you ask this type of question every year for last 10 years btw..;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    I have to keep you on your toes. LOL-Are you retired like me?

3. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    for the most part. work when I choose..lol

4. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    No. It is UCF announcers including our very own Francesca Enea. As for why the entire USF tournament is not on ESPN+, that is because that is what USF decides to do each and every year. They broadcast only their own games and ignore the rest of the tournament. ESPN can't air what the cameras aren't showing.

5. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    The guy said we 30 times in 2 games.. tuned the other one out lol

but regardless why the UCF tourney and not the USF, when already doing USF games.. just weird

6. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    I'm sorry but I don't understand why you don't buy it. Nothing happens without the proper infrastructure. If the production facility is subpar compared to others, and it is explained that way, why don't you believe it???? If one provider provides a limited 10 channels and another 150, do you simply not believe the one providing 10 can't do better? Of course they could from a technology standpoint if they spent the money to upgrade their product. We could too....for $10 million.

7. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Because UCF makes a good decision and USF makes a bad one.

8. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    Same reason they arent showing softball on Fri 2/17,, only baseball going on that day, nothing else that I see. JMO .. they choose not to. That doesnt prove they can do more than 2.. just proves excuse isnt valid that day. UF has never had 3 SEC event on same day before?? I dont even think its an option to not show those,,as far the sports were talking about. Just for example SEC baseball, SEC softball, SEc gym ,and lets add a home NIT bball game.. I might lose but Id bet bank everyone is on app at minimum

And main reason, at least AU wise, and sound similarly easy for UF. .. if the reason was legit , its a simple fix , and have done nothing in 5+ years.

9. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    More than likely because baseball is playing all weekend and women's basketball is playing on Sunday and those two are taking priority. I've said it over and over. I don't know what else I can do.

10. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    Whats that have to do w/ Friday? Cant squeeze in at least one?? lol

So youre saying if UF has 3 or more home SEC events on same day, only 2 will get video? I swear Ive seen this before , but maybe not. If so , then yeah youre(UF) alone there.. Like I said didnt even think it was an option to not produce conference games. Other(visiting)fans losing their minds and all.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
  11. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Again. We are talking about February. We do broadcast all conference games. And, yes, only two will get broadcast and they don't have to be on the exact same day...just the same weekend. See what I said about changing venues and a worn out production and camera crew. Once March rolls around, gymnastics and basketball no longer provide the conflicts and we get all of the softball games.

12. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    It doesnt happen often , but you could have gym &/or bball(post season) at home same day as SEC baseball / softball. And Id bet theyd all be on..again I might lose..lol

The wornout crew etc is juts an excuse IMO..hire more.. Thats all I was saying.. no reason other than dont want to to not show softball on Friday. JMO

The AU excuse for basketball eliminating any other production that day is , even though espn/network brings there own crap obviously..and crew also crap(lol) they take up to much of the 'production room" .. So its a space issue. Ok thats an excuse year 1.. money grows on trees at AU,,build a bigger one!! 6 years later its part of planned facilty upgrades starting soon...yippie.

Do home games on CBS count against the limit of 2?? lol serious question

Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
  13. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Gators get an impressive opening night win over 3-0 Boston U 11-2 in a 5-inning run rule. Rylee Trlicek only gave up 3 hits and 1 walk, 1 earned run. Sam Roe went 3-3 with a HR and 4 RBI's.

• Like Like x 2
  14. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Is anyone going tomorrow? Our crew will be there and also Sunday.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Porschegator

Porschegator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 15, 2016
    Canton Ohio
    Driving up from Stuart. Hope the rain holds off.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Florida outscored Boston College & Illinois State today 30 - 0. Pitching was stellar, power numbers there, defense solid. 2 grand slams vs. Illinois St. Finish the weekend Sunday at 1 pm vs USF on ESPN+.

17. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    But the really big "SportsCenter-worthy" story from the game today is that, in her second year as a Gator (she's red shirted after playing in 19 games last year), Christina Wellen has a perfect batting average at 1.000 over those two years and is credited for an RBI. The team went absolutely wild and Wellen was seemed stoked at first base.

Seriously, it was cool of CTW to give her an AB. With the score 20-0 and the rain coming, he may have been trying to hand Illinois an out, but Wellen had a different idea.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    So after 3 games what are the impressions about the starting line up and will it change over the next 4-5 weeks? Longley behind the plate, Walsh at 2b, Goddard in RF, Goelz at 1b. Those are the 4 positions where there could be some shifting, IMO. Goelz came on strong at the end of last season and I think will be in the lineup regularly all year. After 3 games she's hitting .500, .625 slugging with a .600 OBP. But she can play RF and did some today. Goddard hit .429 with 3 walks and a .600 OBP. Walsh hit .375 with 2 HR, 7 RBI, a 1.125 slugging percentage and .545 OBP. Longley is at .333 with 5 walks and a .750 OBP.
    My main questions are:
    1. Can Walsh be good enough at 2nd base to hold down that position? We're used to sterling pay at that position from Hannah Adams, Kelsey Stewart, Aja Paculba, etc. We definitely need her bat in the order and even when she lost her job at SS last year due to errors, her bat at DH was important. Walsh can play 1st base and then Goelz could move to RF, but only if Goddard struggles.
    2. Can Longley keep the job behind the plate? Apparently Coach Walton loves the kid, her attitude and effort, as he's given her a lot of chances to play the last few years. And he says she's earned the job as catcher. But can she hit against quality pitching? If not, will Sam Roe or Emily Wilkie get the nod back there.
    3. What does he do with Sam Roe? She spent most of the weekend as DH and leads the team with a .571 BA, plus has a 1.000 slugging percentage and .750 OBP, including a HR and 6 RBI. She has to be in the lineup somewhere and can play 2nd base or catcher.
    4. How does Kaila Pollard fit in? She was the #4 recruit in the nation last year, but is a natural SS. For her to play there, Skylar Wallace would need to move to 2nd. She only has 2 AB's so far, a walk and a 2-run double. Apparently Reagan Walsh beat her and Roe out for the start at 2nd base, but I have to believe that Pollard will continue to impress as the season goes along and will force her way into more playing time.

There is more depth and competition for playing time on this team than in many years and it will be interesting to see how Coach Walton and the players handle it all. After 3 games, I'm very impressed - but it's a long season and there will be some ups and downs as they sort it out.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  19. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    Why is the USF game postponed?

20. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Good question. I am hearing that too and I have no idea why. Weather report doesn't seem to be the problem.