Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Ongoing UF Softball Commentary

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by ocalaman, Feb 20, 2022.

1. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    Same excuse Auburn has given, but only basketball seems to effect it. They can do gym, softball & baseball at same time,, do it often during SEC play,(UF also, seen it many times) but if basketball at home no other sport gets video. And yes both varieties of basketball, whiuch is really absurd.. Like 6 people watching womens game live, but lets prioritize it for video.

AU has 5-6 baseball games a year not shown due to this.. I check every year and its always the most in SEC.. same w/ softball, but Ive never compared to rest like I do w/ baseball.

Ill take your word for it on UF softball, but I cant recall a home game not on app recently. Problem this week is its at another schools venue.. The USF ONLY games are on espn+(youll be on Sunday ;) ) NOt sure if visting teams dont have access to produce video, or if just choose not to. If it was a 'neutral site' the games would be on app somewhere. Like FloSports,, but if on Flo, obviously no one else is allowed to produce it, including espn.

I miss the pre SECN days when all the videos were via school,, gatorvision, etc.. Never missed one then. USC(real one) still does this for non pac 12 games..

2. Porschegator

Porschegator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 15, 2016
    Canton Ohio
    What do you want to watch?....a basketball team that might make it to the NIT or a softball team that will probably make it to WCWS. No contest.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    Results are irrelevant to me. But basketball is always just something to follow until softball/baseball. Unfortunately the networks dont agree..lol

Making NIT is bad news btw,, Just more chances of a home game on same day as softball/baseball. ;)

4. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    I also just noticed on Feb 15, both UF basketball & softball are at home, both on tv/video. Would never happen at AU, so Im still proclaiming AU as the worst lol

Like I said I cant recall many, if any home UF softball/baseball not at least on app. Id wager not more than 3-5 combined last 3 years that werent.

5. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Good podcast with CTW on Gator Tales. Start at 24-minute mark.

Gator Tales

6. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Article from floridagators.com
    Like a lot of great coaches, Tim Walton likes a good theme for his team when it comes to a new season. Finding the right one, however, can be a challenge.

"We've kind of bounced some things around," Walton said. "My wife always says, 'Why don't you just use that one that got you to the College World Series and the national championship.' "

If only it was that easy, right? Over his 17 UF seasons, Walton has had some good themes and, yes, even some great ones. But what's the right one for this 2023 Florida softball team? Maybe a little of the former (good) in hopes of finding the latter (great). Confused? Don't be.

This Gators team is stocked with some really nice kids, Walton explained, and sometimes it takes a little extra, a little coaxing, to bring out their intensity. That's OK. Better yet, that's good. Walton and his staff will take "good," for now, and figure out a way for them to get better.

https://floridagators.com/news/2023...ll-be-good-for-gators-in-2023-feb-9-2023.aspx

7. always_and_forever_uf

always_and_forever_uf GC Legend

Jun 20, 2022
    Yep, Skylar Wallace. Best player in the game today. Period!

8. Porschegator

Porschegator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 15, 2016
    Canton Ohio
    Opening day is a special day. I'll bet these ladies are somewhat nervous and are very excited. I know I am and I'm just a fan. Good luck ladies and have a fun ride through the entire season.

9. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    In past years, and in this year, weekend home softball games in February have virtually never been broadcast anywhere. The same is true this year for the T-Mobile tournament. The only reason the Bubly is broadcast for the first time as it has moved to March when the conflicts are less. You didn't find, and you won't find, those weekend games on any app or any stream as there are no cameras operating at KSP. Nobody can air or stream a broadcast that doesn't have operating cameras. The way this works for games that are broadcast is fairly simple. For the SEC and ACC, that are part of the ESPN family of networks, all games are on either regular channels (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN News), or the SEC Network and ACC Network, or SEC+ and ACC+. For other leagues all games are on ESPN+ and that includes the Big 12. That is why our game on Sunday at USF is on ESPN+. All away games at teams who are not in the SEC or ACC are on ESPN+. The Big 10 has no tie at this point with ESPN so you can only get their games on the BIG or BIG+ network and those are not on the ESPN app. The PAC 12 also has no tie with ESPN so you have to get the PAC 12 networks some other way and many cable and sat systems don't include the PAC 12 which leads to constant complaints from PAC 12 softball fans that their games are rarely seen. They constantly complain the SEC saturates the airways. Lastly, although I am less certain how this works, I believe contractual agreements between the SEC and ESPN prevent us broadcasting "non-televised" games on an alternate basis such as Youtube. Also, I think, but am not positive, that SEC rules prevent a school from operating their own network which raises a very interesting question. Texas has the Longhorn Network and I have not seen any information on what will happen to that when they join the SEC. I will be major upset if they are allowed to continue it and nobody else in the league can do the same. Texas, who always has thought their s&*$ don't stink, needs to wake up and understand they will no longer be running the Big 12 and will be just another team in the SEC.

10. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    The D1 Softball Invitational in Clearwater is being televised on regular channels.

2023 TaxAct Clearwater Invitational Presented by EvoShield Schedule

Date Time (ET) Matchup Platform Field
    Thu, Feb 16 10 a.m. No. 3 Oklahoma State vs. Texas A&M
    Tiffany Greene, Madison Shipman ESPNU 8
    1 p.m. No. 19 Duke vs. No. 7 Alabama
    Beth Mowins, Michele Smith, Amanda Scarborough SEC Network 8
    1 p.m. No. 24 Louisiana vs. Indiana
    Mark Neely, Danielle Lawrie ESPNU 9
    4 p.m. Nebraska vs. No. 3 Oklahoma State
    Mark Neely, Danielle Lawrie ESPN+ 9
    4 p.m. No. 4 Florida State vs. No. 15 Arizona
    Beth Mowins, Michele Smith, Amanda Scarborough ESPNU 8
    7 p.m. Nebraska vs. No. 2 UCLA
    Fri, Feb 17 10 a.m. No. 15 Arizona vs. Texas A&M
    Mike Couzens, Kayla Braud ESPN+ 3
    10 a.m. No. 11 Virginia Tech vs. No. 3 Oklahoma State
    12:30 p.m. Indiana vs. Mississippi State
    Mark Neely, Danielle Lawrie SEC Network 9
    1 p.m. No. 19 Duke vs. USF
    Mike Couzens, Kayla Braud ACC Network 3
    1 p.m. No. 6 Arkansas vs. No. 4 Florida State
    3 p.m. Mississippi State vs. No. 15 Arizona
    3 p.m. No. 18 UCF vs. Michigan
    Drew Carter, Jenny Dalton-Hill ESPN+ 1
    4 p.m. No. 7 Alabama vs. No. 2 UCLA
    Beth Mowins, Michele Smith, Amanda Scarborough ESPN2 8
    4 p.m. No. 11 Virginia Tech vs. Nebraska
    Mike Couzens, Kayla Braud ACC Network 3
    6 p.m. No. 24 Louisiana vs. Michigan
    6 p.m. No. 6 Arkansas vs. No. 19 Duke
    7 p.m. Texas A&M vs. No. 18 UCF
    Beth Mowins, Michele Smith, Amanda Scarborough ESPN+ 8
    Sat, Feb 18 10 a.m. No. 2 UCLA vs. No. 4 Florida State
    10 a.m. No. 18 UCF vs. No. 19 Duke
    Drew Carter, Kayla Braud ESPN+ 1
    10:30 a.m. No. 3 Oklahoma State vs. No. 24 Louisiana
    10:30 a.m. USF vs. Texas A&M
    Mike Couzens, Kayla Braud SEC Network 3
    1 p.m. Indiana vs. No. 6 Arkansas
    Tiffany Greene, Madison Shipman ESPN+ 8
    1:30 p.m. Michigan vs. No. 3 Oklahoma State
    1:30 p.m. Texas A&M vs. Nebraska
    2:30 p.m. No. 18 UCF vs. No. 7 Alabama
    4 p.m. No. 11 Virginia Tech vs. No. 2 UCLA
    4:30 p.m. No. 6 Arkansas vs. No. 24 Louisiana
    5 p.m. Michigan vs. Mississippi State
    6 p.m. No. 7 Alabama vs. Indiana
    7 p.m. No. 15 Arizona vs. No. 11 Virginia Tech
    Sun, Feb 19 9 a.m. No. 19 Duke vs. Michigan
    Mike Couzens, Jenny Dalton-Hill ESPN+ 3
    9:30 a.m. Nebraska vs. No. 6 Arkansas
    Mark Neely, Danielle Lawrie SEC Network 9
    10 a.m. No. 2 UCLA vs. No. 24 Louisiana
    Noon No. 15 Arizona vs. Indiana
    Noon USF vs. No. 11 Virginia Tech
    1 p.m. No. 24 Louisiana vs. No. 4 Florida State
    3:30 p.m. Mississippi State vs. USF
    Tiffany Greene, Madison Shipman ESPN+ 9
    5 p.m. No. 4 Florida State vs. No. 7 Alabama
    Beth Mowins, Michele Smith, Amanda Scarborough ESPN 8
    8 p.m. Mississippi State vs. No. 18 UCF
    Tiffany Greene, Madison Shipman ESPN2 9

11. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    LOL ok.. Ill provide links, you choose whether to watch or not.. T Mobile not listed yet, but almost guarantee the UF games will be on. At least if doesnt conflict w/ basketball.. Didnt know this was also issue at UF. Its not an issue on 2/15 apparently.

Correction..TMobile tourney does seem to be ONLY UF home games w/out video.. But not sure how any more conflict those days as oppossed to a Wesdnday w/ basketball in town. If they can do basketball AND softball on Feb 15th.. Why not on any other time?? Also doing basketball and baseball at same time on 2/22.

This is my issue at AU,, they say not enough room, etc to do multiple sports,, Yet if 4 SEC games at same time they dont seem to have an issue,, AS EVERY SEC event is on the app at least. Not often you have more than a couple SEC events at home on same day, but it happens and all of them are on. So I call BS on this reasoning.

Im also not sure why if a game is on espn(network tv) why this affects schools production of other sports,, Doesnt espn bring own cameras etc?? Per AU people , not exactly,, they say same school resources are used..Nonsense.

Every home baseball game is on this year.. i guess they conviently avoided playing at same time as any other sport..lol

Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
  12. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    Pac 12 is watchable w/ little effort, done it many times. But Pac 12 schools (at least USC) provides their own video via the USC site for game not on Pac 12.. Its called Pac12+ , but its watchable on their official site USC Live Stream | Pac-12

not sure whos producing it but Im currently watching SEC teams in Clearwater on GameChanger via the NFCA site. UK was down early to STJ 3-0,, but took 6-3 lead when I wasnt paying attention..lol bummer

Why would you care if Texas keeps LHN? Its another outlet to watch games, which seems to be your complaint(lack of) They arent keeping it, unfortunately.

big 10 net is Fox affialited , can watch b10 on Fox app same way you do SEC/ACC on espn app. Also B12 is espn, but espn+(couple more bucks per month I think) Much better app than espn btw,, but everything at fox is better than espn

I honestly thought i was on AU board when I read your original post about not showing some games. Just a guess, but UF probably has the least amount of 'missing ' home games in SEC.. Ill have official numbers on this at end of non conference schedule.

Heres a question for ya.. why are the non UCF games(UGa) on espn+ , but the non USF games not??

• Like Like x 1
  13. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    • Like Like x 1
  14. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Wow. There's several things to comment on there. First of all, I had never heard of the NFCA site broadcasting on Gamechanger. Will have to check that out. More to the point. I strongly dispute the statement that UF has the least amount of missing home games in the league. It isn't even close. I'm not sure about Auburn specifically but all of the rest broadcast all of their home games. Be aware I am only talking about February games, now and in the past. T-Mobile is not broadcast. If Bubly was still in February as in the past it would not be broadcast. That would be ten games and that was the way previously. Once March rolls around and the SEC starts, UF has always broadcast all games and I never implied anything else. The PAC 12 and The Longhorn Network have identical problems. They are not carried on a lot of systems throughout the country. I have had numerous different cable, satellite, and now YouTube TV and I have never had either available. Further, you can't get them on some other source unless your main provider is an authorized provider. For instance, since neither is available on YouTube, I can't get them somehow else if I wanted. Same as in the rare case that a provider is not an authorized ESPN provider, you can't get the ESPN app. As for Texas and the Longhorn Network, they caused a gigantic disservice to the rest of the Big 12 and held them hostage. Other than the major sports, primarily all Texas sports are relegated to the Longhorn Network and a huge percentage of the country can't view them. That was a huge factor in why the Big 12 media package is far less than the Big 10 or SEC and the prime reason the money isn't there and Texas and Oklahoma are fleeing. If you have a provider that does carry either the Pac 12 or Longhorn Network, your perspective is different than that of most that don't have that access. YouTube and most other major carriers do carry the Big 10 so that is a completely different ballgame even though the Big 10 is not part of the ESPN family. Lastly, and as it applies to the Longhorn Network, while you may not have a problem with it, I have a gigantic problem with Texas having potentially special media rights not granted to any other SEC school. It has nothing to do with having it or missing it. You indicate it won't continue. Do you have a link regarding that?

15. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Well, I'm not sure how to say it other than I think you don't understand how things work. Please don't take offense. T-Mobile will not be broadcast and you admit it by saying "no video". That's what we are talking about. The JU game on February 15 is a Wednesday. That game is always broadcast. We have the capability of doing two events at the same time. Most other SEC schools can do 4-5. That's why they can do weekend softball with a lot of other events and we can't. On 2/15 there is a basketball game and us. Gymnastics doesn't play on Wednesday and baseball hasn't started. ESPN does not provide cameras and crews for thousands of events across the country. Each school provides the production facilities (our weakness and possibly Auburn's) and provides the cameras and crews. Lastly, every baseball game will be broadcast which was exactly my point and exactly what I said....they get priority along with gymnastics and basketball.

16. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    Ive forgot more about how this works than I care to admitt.. We are saying same things,, I just dont buy excuses being fed to us. They can do as many events as they choose, and prove so if theyryre all SEC events.

I said UF has minimal missing and they do.. looks like 5 games(all in one tourney) why?? no idea... but its not becsause of any conflict they dont have at other times.

The one difference I do notice is UF can do another sport if basketball on same day.. If Au has 9pm basketball(M or W) they cant/wont produce any other sport that day.. even if at 11 am. UF obviously can based on listed schedule. So baseball softball combined,, youre only missing 5 total games.. pretyy minimal compared to at least one other SEC team

Think in both cases its just a matter of want to.

Again why is UGa on espn+ playing Boise at UCF tourney?? prob bc Uga made the effort

AU can do baseball softball gym all same day,,but cant do anything else if bball same day,,its absurd.. Miss about 8 softball and baseball each per year.. Looks better this year,but just by luck

17. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Gators play Boston University tonight. Boston beat St. Joseph's 8-0 yesterday, then beat Illinois St. 2-1. They play USF today right before they play us, so will have 3 games under their belts when we take the field against them. Also, USF beat Michigan yesterday 2-1 in 8 innings and are playing Boston College right now before they play Boston U. Hopefully our game will start on time.

18. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    OK. I am not going to name names but you have to trust me I would have no idea what I am talking about if my information was not coming directly from the highest levels of those at UF who control how and what events are broadcast. We can only do two events at or near the same time. Other SEC schools can do 4-5. This year is an aberration that only the T-Mobile is not being broadcast. If Bubly had not moved to March, it would also not be broadcast and that would be 10 games missed, not five. As to one of your other points, I specifically questioned why softball games on Sunday, that weren't broadcast on Friday or Saturday, were not broadcast as the conflict with gymnastics or basketball didn't exist. I was told that while technically probably possible, logistically it was not, to move the setup quickly from one venue to another. Further, I was told that simply put....the same crew does all of the events and they get worn out and need time off so Sunday doesn't get done. About three years ago UF sent a contingent around the league to inspect the upgraded production facilities at other schools to determine what we needed to do and what it would cost to bring UF up to the same level. I am probably wrong as the exact schools weren't important to me but I think they were at least LSU, A&M and Tennessee. The cost was give or take $10 million. I assume they intended to do the project or there would be no reason to travel the league and inspect. But, then Covid hit, athletic finances went in the toilet and it didn't get done and as far as I know still hasn't been done. Again, and at the risk of repeating myself, there is no way I would know this unless it came directly from the people who run the entire operation. As for UGA being on ESPN+ this weekend, again you aren't following how this works. UGA has absolutely nothing to do with this weekend games being on ESPN+. They are playing at UCF. UCF is not in the SEC or ACC. Thus, any games they chose to broadcast are on ESPN+. UGA has no control over any of it.

19. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    Its Uga announcers but ok..lol. So why doesnt espn+ show entire USF series? just curious. seems odd would choose one over another

On the the 2 max event limit. Im not saying someone official not saying that , Im saying I dont buy it. Just like I donyt buy the AU excuses..lol

What else is at home on 2/17 other than softball and baseball?

20. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    Just curious why a barner is so concerned about Gator SB and BB broadcast.

• Agree Agree x 1