Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Ongoing UF Softball Commentary

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by ocalaman, Feb 20, 2022.

1. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
  2. Porschegator

Porschegator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 15, 2016
    Canton Ohio
    Skylar should have been on the first team. She might be the best Division I player in the country.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Pre-season picks don't mean as much as post season rankings of All-American and All-SEC teams. Wallace seems like the kind of player that won't care at all. She just wants the team to win. But I do agree with you. Wallace is a special player.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  4. 1990Gator

1990Gator VIP Member

Dec 30, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    I just watched Part 1 of Steve Russell's interview today with Tim Walton. A point of emphasis for this season was working in the weight room and in the batting cages to increase power numbers, as the OBP and batting averages were good last year, but they need to get more power from the team and feels they will do that this year. He said Sarah Longley had a great fall camp and is now playing catcher for the first time since middle school and it's good to have an athlete like her behind the plate. Russell asked if any positions were pretty well locked in and he mentioned Echols at 3rd, Wallace at SS, Goelz at 1st and Kistler, Falby & Goddard in the OF. He said he's still trying to figure out 2nd, but said Egan, Pollard, Roe & Wilkie will get a lot of playing time at different positions early on, as he has a lot of depth and will move a lot of players around early in the season. On the pitching side, he said Delbrey hasn't thrown in live action since the WCWS, but is working hard and making steady progress in getting her pitch count up to be able to contribute ASAP. He said Trlicek has improved a lot and Hightower is an AA looking to have a big year and that Gigante and Bender will, also, pitch a lot, especially early in the season and he has confidence in all of them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. sandman70

sandman70 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I know the team is fired up for the season which makes me DOUBLE fired up! Cigar City is going to have some smokin’ Gator softball!

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. ufjaz

ufjaz All American

Jan 3, 2010
    Sahuarita AZ
    Given that the first month of game videos will likely not be available on the normal media outlets. Are there any other outlets that perhaps would stream these games (live or replay). YouTube, Periscope, etc come to mind. In other words is there any way I can watch them?

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  8. gator999

gator999 Freshman

Jun 16, 2019
    Looks like the first home game is next Wednesday, but I can't find ticket info???

9. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Go to floridagators.com and read the story about the softball schedule.

10. GatorChoice

GatorChoice GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Wesley Chapel, Florida
    $15 per ticket I see. I'll probably be there but that's kinda steep for softball when you're bringing a family with you.

11. Porschegator

Aug 15, 2016
    Canton Ohio
    Disappointed. Last year there were 40 games televised during regular season including SEC +. This year there are only 23 or 24 games listed to be televised. I hope this changes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  12. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    32 including SEC+

13. GatorGirl15

GatorGirl15 Freshman

Oct 10, 2008
  14. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Most of those early pre-conference tournament games are not being televised and I don't understand that either. Flo-Sports is showing the West Coast tourney games, but you have to pay for access. I just don't get not allowing SEC+ to carry all games not picked up by the ESPN group or regular SEC Network.

• Like Like x 1
  15. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    Flo paid more than espn for theright to televise/video.. you also pay for espn,, most likely a lot more than you will for a weekend/month of Flo. I always forget to cancel when use it..lolol

And for the not enough games on tv.. with minimal effort every single game played by a SEC team is on video somewhere. Maybe a couple exceptions per year on a midweek game. Im having to use the ncfa app to watch opening weekend tourney of interest. Which is biggest tourney/field of opening weekend.

16. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    I guess you dont want to go watch softball in Clearwater w/ me then?? j/k,,you know Im not going. $35 per ticket, per day there btw,, youre getting off cheap/

• Like Like x 1
  17. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    The problem with our early season home games not being broadcast has nothing to do with ESPN or SEC. Every SEC team but us broadcasts all or almost all of their home games....most on SEC+. Our broadcast capability is subpar compared to the rest of the league as we have limited capability to broadcast multiple events on a weekend. This time of year, gymnastics, both basketball teams and baseball get priority over softball. Several years ago we inspected a couple other broadcast facilities at other SEC schools to determine what we have to do to upgrade our production facility and what it would cost. The cost is "relatively" cheap compared to what is being spent elsewhere but we just don't do it. It is not ESPN or SEC fault as they can't air games where no cameras are turned on at the stadium.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Our schedule shows updated media information. It is better than in the past but not likely because we have improved our production facility. In the past the ten games at the T-Mobile and Bubly Invitational would not have been broadcast. T-Mobile apparently will still not be broadcast but Bubly will be on SEC+. Bubly is usually in February and is not broadcast due to conflicts with other sports but this year it has moved to March when the conflicts are less. While the main problem remains, at least there is a better schedule this year.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Porschegator

Aug 15, 2016
    Canton Ohio
    Good info Recruit. Keep your information coming and welcome to the this board.

• Agree Agree x 1