Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Ongoing UF Softball Commentary

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by ocalaman, Feb 20, 2022.

1. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Taylor is a superstar in the making, as Rick has been telling us over and over.
    She had 3 or 4 hits.
    On the first batter of the game, she dove at a sinking liner and it rolled to the wall. CTW was waiting for her when she came off after the 3rd out.
    Korbe made an excellent play by doing a 90-degree Hoover. She slid perpendicular to the ball to block it with her body if needed. She caught it with her glove, but it would have been good if she had not.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. ufgator72sb

ufgator72sb GC Legend

Aug 4, 2023
    Maybe Kenleigh, Alyssa(Lou), Gabi or Layla.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    In the 9th, Cassidy and Lou had sacrifice flies.

Townsend hit a chopper to the first basemen, who made a good play, but she beat out.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Yeah...but she is too slow for the outfield. Someone we both know that has knowledge up the wazoo said the other day how impressed he was by how much ground Taylor covers in the outfield. I'll go with that.

• Winner Winner x 3
  5. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Layla was there and pinch hit and walked.

Tayshu is not slow. She made a mistake diving for a sinking liner in the first. The second one was not missed, it was played correctly.
    As I mentioned earlier, she scored from first on a double by Korbe against an excellent throw.
    Kendra turned an out to a run at the plate also. The throw clearly beat her, but she slid behind the plate and touched it with her hand. She should patent that slide.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    I can hear it now..."Taylor....you don't have to be a hero in the first inning. Play it off the bounce."

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Are you not contradicting yourself? She is too slow for the OF, but an expert is impressed by how much ground she covers.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    I never said she was too slow and know that is BS. It was said by others.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Yep. And there is a reason why Tim has apparently plugged in a true freshman into the two hole. She is special.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. notexgator

notexgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Rick - Agree on Taylor. I can let you know that Townsend has poor base stealing skills. She ran twice against Jax and was easily gunned down twice. She gets a terrible start off first. She probably is so used to her speed beating HSS pitchers and catchers that she never really learned the skill correctly. As far as Layla on Fri night she looked totally lost at the plate on both her ABs. It reminded us of Freshman Jamie Hoover. Waving at pitches, all 6 of them without even a foul ball. As far as 2nd is concerned we have 2 great candidates, whoever does not start at 2nd. The opinion of Sandman, Scrappy, 1090, me and our other 6 people think the competition is over with Riley the clear winner. She is quicker to the ball, charges rounders and has a better arm than Skylar. Mia still puts the excitement into routine rounders and fly balls. Regan still slashes balls at a terrific rate and she is the best DH we have ever had. The only competition in my mind is at 1st base and RF. Taylor will play one and someone else will man the other until Mia plays herself out of being the starter. Tim may even try Mia at first as Ava is a very good defensive 1st base but a liability at the plate compared to at least 5 other players on this team.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  11. ufgator72sb

ufgator72sb GC Legend

Aug 4, 2023
    So you’re saying Rylee at 2B and Kenleigh at SS if I read that right. I could see that.

• Like Like x 1
  12. huunterhound

huunterhound Junior

Mar 28, 2024
    Who finished pitching today?

13. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    She looked fast but it wasn't even close -- it was pretty shocking. Bad start off 1B makes sense, but that's gotta be something that can be coached up, right?

We are all probably old enough to remember the E.F. Hutton commercials from the 70's. Definitely the same thing when y'all post!

• Agree Agree x 1