Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Ongoing UF Softball Commentary

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by ocalaman, Feb 20, 2022.

1. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Great news if Mia can get rolling at the plate. She seems like a super young lady (like virtually every one on our team) and has been through so much with the severe leg break and brutal rehab a few years ago. Would love to see her do great things as a Gator and in life.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. huunterhound

huunterhound Junior

Mar 28, 2024
    Somehow I missed our entire at bat in the 5th. I swear we had Kara pitch back to back 3 out innings. She got the side put in the top of 5th, the announced said hang on for 5 more innings and the next thing I know they are setting the scoreboard at 6 innings??

• Like Like x 1
  3. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    9-5. FSU hit a two run bomb top of 9. No idea who is pitching and no idea if we are playing 9 or 10. Even if 9, we probably get our last at bats in the bottom of 9....fall ball rules. Edit: Just saw the above so I guess we are playing 10?

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. huunterhound

huunterhound Junior

Mar 28, 2024
    Gonna say it...not sure why Ava is batting. She is great at power but quite frankly if it doesn't make it near the wall she is out. She did not work on her speed and has to be the slowest base runner in program history. Her defense on 1st was spot on but should that keep her in the lineup when not pitching? It already looks like Mia will be given multiple chances and I am not unhappy for the 2 bombs but those were not the Seminoles top pitchers and there were some ugly at bats in there.
    Also, Shunaker has a legit SEC bat. I wonder about her speed in the outfield though. Has she played any infield in her career? There were two short ones in right that she missed but maybe I am so used to seeing the not so normal speed of Kendra and Korbi and that's what is making me think she lacks the speed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. BurkeGator

BurkeGator All American

Aug 28, 2015

• Like Like x 1
  6. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Gators win 11-5. No idea how we got our last two runs.

7. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Trust me. Taylor has excellent speed. I have never seen her other than in the outfield. Someone the other day told me how impressed they were by how much ground she covers in the outfield so I don't know what you saw today.

8. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    I've posted before, I saw Mia get hurt live. It was streamed from the PGF Nationals in California and there was a center field camera that fully caught it as she slid too hard into second. She screamed and held her leg up and her foot simply dropped completely loose off to the side at a right angle. A Theisman type injury. The minute she screamed the opposing team panicked and ran off the field. I heard a couple of those kids needed therapy from what they saw. It was so bad that Flosports cut off the feed from that field for 30 minutes while they removed Mia. Her mother said she broke every bone below the knee. Mia worked her butt off to rehab from that. It never ceases to amaze me that she seems not to have lost a step of speed. That day I thought her career was over. What I saw is seared into my brain forever. Gruesome. Can't forget it.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2024 at 5:56 PM
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. huunterhound

huunterhound Junior

Mar 28, 2024
    They were balls that the other would have reached, she actually got her glove on one and perhaps next time she may choose to let it fall and stay in front and let it be a single but she went all out. Those other 2 in outfield are just so fast and good at that first step that maybe they were balls I shouldn't expect to be caught. Very pleased with her play though and I'm sure it will only get better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    It's the Sarah Longley effect -- widely reported to involve compromising pictures.

But there's much more to Mia than there ever was Sarah, as proven by her two HR today.

11. huunterhound

huunterhound Junior

Mar 28, 2024
    So if we are going with Taylor in RF, how do we get the speed of a Townsend on the bases? Maybe not having any of our pitcher bat would allow that to happen but I'm not sure I'd Reagan will be playing a defensive position yet without seeing more from all these new faces.

12. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    I believe Tayshu.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    lol...in the post where I said I've never seen so much patience....I was going to add that perhaps she has dirty pics of someone but thought better of it.

14. johnny_cakes

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    I have always chalked this up to keeping her out of the portal. I think CTW knows what he is doing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Yep. It was Taylor. Someone on another board said she got on with a clean hit to the outfield.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Taylor scored from first, against a very good throw.

17. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Kara gave up the 2 bombs. It got in her head and she struggled afterwards.
    Tim let her and Red work out of their troubles.

18. johnny_cakes

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    Absolutely not saying anything negative, but who would be next in the depth chart for 2B?

19. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Was Layla there today? And, since one of the O&B games, there hasn't been one word regarding Townsen. Granted, though, we are getting only a tiny bit of information so who knows what is really happening to the multiple kids who haven't been mentioned in the cryptic tweets seen so far.

20. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    This is nothing but a wild guess. Kenleigh started at third today. Ariel wasn't in the starting lineup. I'm thinking Tim wants to make sure he has another that can play third during the times Jocey is on first and Ariel catching. Who knows for sure....long time till February.