Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Ongoing UF Softball Commentary

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by ocalaman, Feb 20, 2022.

1. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    I can't even remember all of the places. After LaMancha I think it was Alamar Gardens across 1-75 on 24th??? Then there was a house out Archer Road. A house near the Duck Pond. Ended up the wife and I bought a trailer in a new park, name of which I can't remember, but it was across from the airport.
    Edit:...Trailer park I think was called Brittany Estates. Dementia is around the corner but not set in yet. It was brand new then and very nice. If it still exists, I doubt it is very nice now 50 years later.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2024 at 6:00 PM
    • Like Like x 1
  2. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Seriously, if as a freshman she hits anywhere around .300 I'm satisfied. The rbi numbers I said might be too high. Depends on if she is platooned or whatever with Townsen and where she bats in the lineup. If she hits at the near the top as opposed to farther down, her rbi numbers will likely decrease. I think she has an outstanding future but I don't expect miracles her first year. Not for her or anybody.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    so, for you youngins that have no clue...give Layla a listen. Horrible resolution and if anyone can find a quality lossless link for the entire album, post it.

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  4. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    Oh man, I lived in Alamar Gardens in the 1990s. And then also the Duck Pond. The last time I was there, I saw that they tore down Alamar Gardens, and it was just an overgrown space, like a Florida version of a ghost town.

5. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    I lived there in the mid-70's. Did you find my cat that ran away? Black cat. Name was Sparky. I also had a white Persian named "Cokie" for reasons we don't need to go into at this point. She got run over in Brittany Estates. I still remember where I buried her in the woods. Broke my heart.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
  6. Porschegator

Porschegator GC Legend

Aug 15, 2016
    Canton Ohio
    I hope your next pet is named Taylor.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. lg4uf_

lg4uf_ VIP Member

Mar 13, 2023
    Interesting that I too had a black cat(Siamese) as well as a white Persian…..

8. stjohnsgator

stjohnsgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Spent some time in LaMancha. 85/86. Is it still there? 4 of us in there in tiny bedrooms. Had a small insect problem..lol

9. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    At the extreme risk of upsetting Porschegator.....Taylor yesterday went "only" 4-7 in two games at the Sparkler tournament in Colorado. Three runs, one rbi, a double and another homer. In the past couple weeks I think she has not homered in only one game. Hitting .571 for the day means the impossibility of going a whole season over .700 might be over...might not though. She is now at, after 27 games, .694 (43-62) with 43 runs, 21 rbis, 14 doubles, 2 triples, 7 home runs, 13 walks and 4 strike outs. Continued opposite field power:

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Can't resist upsetting him again....a ground ball stand up double:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Porschegator

Porschegator GC Legend

Aug 15, 2016
    Canton Ohio
    Rick...You don't upset me at all. As a matter of fact, I think you are one of the more knowledgeable posters on this board. I just like pulling your chain. With that being said, if Taylor does not work out I will never let you forget it.

• Funny Funny x 4
  12. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    You've pulled the chain so much it broke and you aren't the only one that will pile on. Probably 3/4 of the board because it would be too much fun not to do it. I'm fairly confident that won't happen but there are no givens or certainties. I'm too old to care about the possible consequences of sticking my neck out and when it comes to Taylor, it can't stick out any further.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    On another note, Kalie Matsuno is back playing for Batbusters-Black after a two week or so absence. As I said before, no idea why she was missing. She had an 0-fer day yesterday though.

14. notexgator

notexgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Tough day for Taylor hitting only .571. You know you are a heck of a hitter when you hit almost .600 (unheard of at any level) and your average actually drops! I am on board with you Rick, this is the first player since Amanda and Skylar that I have 100% confidence in that she will be a great 4 year starter and hitter. I will gladly hang my neck out with you!!!

• Like Like x 2
  15. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    lol....thanks...I can use someone else in the pits with me if it should happen to all go south. Which I don't think it will.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
  17. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    I have no clue if it is still there. It wasn't a palace when I lived there in the early 70's. Wild place then. There was a guy living there that made runs from South America or Jamaica with his plane. I knew him but wouldn't call him a friend. Anyway, one night he came in under the radar and flew straight into a building in Ft. Lauderdale, that was under construction and not lit, and that was the end of that. There was a night that four or five wonderful girls knocked on our door to ask if they could leave their clothes there to go skinny dipping in the pool. "Why, of course. Can I help in any way?" I had a good friend, actually in my wedding, who looked exactly like Jerry Garcia. They could have been twins. He used to walk around town carrying a bible. The inside was cut out to hold his stash. Anyway, he was from Arkansas and terribly homesick. He used to take our phone, landline then, and go into the bathroom and have hour long phone calls back to Arkansas and stick us with the bill. I have about a gazillion stories about life at LaMancha that are probably worse than what I have told.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2024 at 6:21 PM
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    OK. One more. So, I stumble downstairs one morning and there is a chick sleeping on the couch I have never seen before. That, in and of itself, wasn't terribly rare. Turned out she was best friends with the girl who was living with us. She had a blow up with her parents in Ft. Lauderdale and headed to Gainesville to escape. Our first date was sitting in the middle of 13th street during the Cambodia invasion protests and being attacked by the National Guard, who were not wearing badges so you could later identify them. Married her. 12 years and a kid before it all went south.

• Like Like x 2
  19. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    Maybe Kalie can bar the door if Katie doesn’t work out

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  20. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    lol...if some here are aghast at some of my Gainesville stories....just imagine what I haven't said. You can't. Gainesville in the 70's was a wild, wonderful, experience and I wouldn't trade one minute of it for all of the money in China.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2024 at 6:50 PM
    • Winner Winner x 1