Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Ongoing UF Softball Commentary

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by ocalaman, Feb 20, 2022.

1. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Most of us, including me, underestimate the extreme difficulty in moving from travel, even elite travel, to a place like UF in the SEC. Mia is a perfect example this year. All of the pub you received over the years means absolutely nothing once you hit the "show". You have to start over and earn it all again. Some do. Some don't.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    So our new pitching coach resigned as HC to be UFs pitching coach?
    Bad HC record in 2 years at Memphis, so did she just beat the reaper at Memphis or is being a UF assistant a better gig, pay assistants more, etc? Just curious, and not complaining, just seems unusual.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    I believe Mia will take a sophomore jump.
    I believe red will come in red hot. Lol.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    In my view, not unusual. I think she flat wanted out of Bama, as so many others have, and it didn't matter that she took a low level and low pay job at Memphis. She just wanted to be gone. I strongly think she is back to doing what she does best and is likely making more money as an assistant at UF than she made at Memphis. Have you ever looked at the Memphis stadium? I've seen high school stadiums that would put it to shame. Time will tell but I think this is an outstanding hire for both her and for UF.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Informative Informative x 3
  5. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Nope, never seen the Memphis softball stadium. :rolleyes:I doubt many here have. I've seen the city and the campus tho so I can understand why a coach wouldn't spend much time there. Thanks for the response.

6. ufgator72sb

ufgator72sb All American

Aug 4, 2023
    Exactly!

7. ufgtr77

ufgtr77 Junior

Apr 22, 2024
    Memphis University Softball Complex. No room for many fans. Maybe a couple 100.
    Memphis SB field.jpg

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. ufgator72sb

ufgator72sb All American

Aug 4, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  9. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Time for a Taylor Shumaker update. Batbusters are playing in a good Top Gun tournament in Oklahoma so they are beginning to play other elite level teams. Nobody has come close to beating them. They have beaten Athletics Mercado-Smith, Hotshots-Nelson (Ariel, Mia and Cassidy's team from last year) and Nebraska Gold. The Nebraska Gold game was shocking. They are consistently a very good team. Jordy Bahl's old team. Batbusters won 17-1 and were up by 17 after three innings so Taylor and all the other starters were on the bench at that point. Four games since last update. Taylor has gone 7-11 with 7 runs, 4 rbis, 2 walks and a double and home run. For the season so far after 21 games she is 33-46 (.717) with 31 runs, 14 rbis, 11 doubles, 2 triples, 3 home runs and 10 walks. She has struck out only twice in 56 plate appearances. As I have said before, she does not swing for the fences but rather just swings for contact which is why most of her hits and home runs are to center or center right and many are oppo. While not swing for the fences, the parks still can't hold her. Yesterday's oppo field shot to lead off the game:

• Like Like x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. srqgtr

srqgtr Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota, FL
    Thanks for all of the updates on Taylor. She is really something else. I can't wait to see her in O&B! I watched an interview with her and she seemed very poised and mature. Her stats are outstanding. That being said, how does she compare to any former superstar high school players that we have signed?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Well, that requires a pretty subjective answer and there might well be some in the early year's of Walton's program that should be included but I wasn't heavily involved at that point. So, more recent than that, I can't come up with anyone off the top of my head other than Amanda. Skylar doesn't count since we didn't sign her out of high school.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    Say what you will about the Memphis Softball Complex, but I'm pretty impressed with the lap swimming for the fans beyond the left field wall. With the heat in Florida, that would be a great addition to KSP. We could detour Museaum Drive and add that = major improvement.

• Funny Funny x 4
  13. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    If Taylor is Amanda good, she'll do. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    Can we make the floor of the pool some type of video monitor so we can watch the game while we get our laps in?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. ufgtr77

ufgtr77 Junior

Apr 22, 2024
    Are those swimming pool lanes for laps or golf putting greens? LOL!

16. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    I actually thought it was some kind of extra bullpen area. I have no idea what it really is.

17. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Update on Kalie Matsuno, the girl who committed to us late in March in the 2025 class. Now that I know who she is and that she plays, or did, for Batbusters-Stith Black, I was able to backtrack through her season. While I have said it before, it bears repeating. Batbusters-Black is to my understanding at least their third level 18U team..Batbusters-Stith that Taylor is on has been the premier team for many years. Quite a few years ago they added Batbusters-Stith Maroon, which I always considered their second best team. A year or two ago along came Batbusters-Stith Black so logic says that is the third level team. Accordingly, they do not play, except on extremely rare occasions, the quality of opponents and pitching that Taylor faces. Anyway, to the update. For the most part Kalie has been the starting shortstop. I wondered with no evidence but some hope for this somewhat quizzical offer to her that perhaps she doesn't carry much of a bat but has a dynamic glove....a Katie Medina type who could lock down shortstop but rarely hit. She has played one game each as DP, RF, LF, 3B and 2B. They have played 19 games and Kalie started in the first 14 either at short or the other positions. She has not played in the last five games. I don't know if she is hurt, benched, or moved to a different team. I searched the rosters of the other Batbusters teams and couldn't find her. Anyway, in the 14 games she played she was 11-38 (.289) with 6 runs scored, 9 rbis, 2 doubles, 1 triple 1 walk and 3 strikeouts. Up until near the end of when she was in the lineup she had not made any errors but she did have two in one game at short. That's the best I've got and sums up the entirety of what I know about her. Wonder why she isn't in the lineup any more.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Would one of you post a projected roster and break it down as pitchers, infielders , outfielders . im so looking forward to next season alteady and im trying to keep up

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Here you go:
    Returning pitchers: Sophomores Keagan Rothrock, Ava Brown and Olivia Miller - Transfer in: Senior Kara Hammock - New Freshman: Katelynn "Red" Oxley.
    Returning Outfielders: Seniors Korbe Otis and Kendra Falby, sophomore Cassidy McLellan - New Freshmen: Taylor Shumaker, Townson Thomas
    Returning Catchers: Junior Jocelyn Erickson, sophomore Ariel Kowalewski (played 3B this year, but was primarily a catcher in high school and travel ball)
    Returning Infielders: Seniors Reagan Walsh (DH, 3B, 2B) and Brooke Barnard - Sophomores Ariel Kowalewski, Mia Williams, Alyssa Hovermale and Ava Brown (1B when not pitching) - New Freshmen: Gabia Comia (primarily a SS) and Layla Lamar (1B or 3B).
    There will be competition for shortstop to replace Skylar Wallace. That is Mia Williams' natural position, although she played 2B this year. She will be given a chance to win the job, but Ariel Kowalewski seems to just get better and better and may get a look there, as will freshman Gabia Comia, who is an excellent athlete who primarily plays SS.
    Hope this helps and we shall soon see if Coach Walton adds another players or two from the portal.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Gerry Glasco has left the Ragin' Cajuns for Texas Tech. Wonder how that might effect Delbrey and Roe.