Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Ongoing UF Softball Commentary

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by ocalaman, Feb 20, 2022.

1. huunterhound

huunterhound Junior

Mar 28, 2024
    Looking at Baylors resume and not so sure I would rather play them over the cajuns.. they may actually be more dangerous

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. ufgator72sb

ufgator72sb GC Legend

Aug 4, 2023
    Wow! This team is coming together. It’s a team… they play like one. Katie and AK sealed the deal after Skylar set them up to finish it. Go Gators!

• Like Like x 1
  3. huunterhound

huunterhound Junior

Mar 28, 2024
    As for AK...I' think she could be the most versatile player on the roster...she may change position again next year and I don't think it will be an issue.

• Like Like x 1
  4. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    I think it will be too. We bring in another quality freshman pitcher and, hopefully, a quality veteran pitcher from the portal. Taylor Shumaker is elite. Ariel has locked up a starting spot. Question is do you move her from third to short? Right now I don't see a clear cut shortstop. Could be Mia, could be Ariel, could be Gabbie Comia. I can't imagine Shumaker not starting in right but then, what do you do with Townsen Thomas? Or Lyla Lamar? It is a puzzle but a fortunate puzzle.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Will be interesting to see if anyone hits the portal once the season is over. The flock of talent coming in, with what is already here, might cause a player or two to try to find greener pastures. It looks like to me that Pollard made the correct choice to get out and flee to Oregon. While she is a solid player, I don't see her with a place in this year's or next year's lineup. And Pollard is a quality player. Yikes!

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. ufgator72sb

ufgator72sb GC Legend

Aug 4, 2023
    Thanks Rick… I corrected it. :)

7. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    Any thoughts on who is not getting sufficient playing time who could transfer to another elite team and get playing time? I'm not asking about just going *somewhere* to get playing time, like some of our players have done in the past, but rather who might go to another good team.

8. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  9. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    I don't see one that really stands out as possibly leaving. Hovermale would be somewhat likely, I guess. Olivia? - doubt it very much. She seems full in. Barnard? Same thought as Olivia. That really only leaves Cassidy and I doubt it for her also. She would have gotten more playing time this year but for the arm injury. Wonder the actual diagnosis as it must be severe. She has been 100% of the time in that huge sling for several weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    I have ZERO insight, but the only 2 players who I can think of that even might consider trying the portal are Alyssa Hovermale and Olivia Miller. From what I've read, both players love the school, love their coaches and love their teammates, so I hope they both stay. Miller was a highly touted pitcher who signed with Ole Miss and then transferred over in the fall. She was great early in her few opportunities and then got hit hard a couple of times. I've read the coaches were working on her mechanics and I think she can be a solid contributor in the circle. It's just a matter of how she sees herself in relation to what her role might be, especially with another elite pitcher coming onto the staff. As for Hovermale, she was beaten out for 3rd base by Kowalewski and it's obvious that if you were going to play this year and next year, you've got to be able to hit as well as play your position. Is she putting in the extra work to get better and where does she see herself contributing next year? End of year sit downs with Coach Walton may help both players decide, as the Clash say, "Should I stay or should I go?"

• Like Like x 1
  11. huunterhound

huunterhound Junior

Mar 28, 2024
    Can someone easily explain what determines home team and does this stay the same through out entire playoffs. What I am finding doesn't seem to fit how the brackets actually look.

12. alysb21

alysb21 GC Legend

Jan 8, 2019
    Not sure if it was posted but the all American teams came out.... we are well represented. Brown and Rothrock and Falby are 2nd team and all the others are 1st. Don't understand how Miloy at Tennessee is 1st team outfield over falby.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. alysb21

alysb21 GC Legend

Jan 8, 2019
    I guess in this day you have to expect players leave. But I really don't see who from this group. The non started are pretty much all senior that are fixing to be done. The role Avery played this year will need to be filled... probably Barnard? So that opened a spot. Also RF and SS. Everyone has been given opportunities and everyone seems happy and excited to be a Gator. Last year I was not shocked at all by the transfers. It seemed like there was riffs all over the team and I think the best thing happened with those that weren't haply leaving.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. jaxg8r

jaxg8r VIP Member

Jan 21, 2008
    In another thread, if I understood his post, ocalaman mentioned lack of insight into SW's inside the parker. I highly recommend Matt Highlights #2 youtube page to anyone who, like me, has limited to no ESPN accessibility. The guy is a machine. He pumps out highlights within hours of games.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. orangeblue77

orangeblue77 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 19, 2023
    Florida
    I think it aged well!

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. orangeblue77

Feb 19, 2023
    Florida
    Cajuns or Baylor? I’d like to see Sam Roe again.

17. johnny_cakes

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    You were saying that before I even learned to pronounce her last name.
    Good call!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. johnny_cakes

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    Top 16 host Regionals
    Top 8 host then Super Regionals, assuming they win their Regional.

I have never understood who hosts the Super Regional if the Regional host does not advance.

19. orangeblue77

Feb 19, 2023
    Florida
    I just call her AK47. She choose her number and she knew what she was doing lol.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I think he meant the rotation of home/visitor within the regional and super.

In supers the host is home team in game 1 and 3, the "visiting" team is home team in game 2

There is a more complicated schedule for regionals....as you saw UF was the visitor in this game but would have been home team if USA had forced another game.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1