Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Ongoing UF Softball Commentary

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by ocalaman, Feb 20, 2022.

1. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    None of those teams, and probably no other team in the country, has only a 4 team pitching staff with their workhorse being a true freshman, your #2 starter being a true freshman and your numbers 3 & 4 pitchers being another true freshman and a little used grad student. It WILL get better, but probably not this year. We are what we are and those pitchers are working their tails off.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Bryan85

Bryan85 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 27, 2007
    Heard the announcer at the end of NC State's win over Notre Dame say that State's winning pitcher threw 308 pitches this weekend. Seems like alot.

3. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Amanda has all the feels:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Amanda is in love:

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    I'm not sure this has ever been done before but we should have eight players making either first or second team All-SEC or All-Freshmen team: Korbe, Kendra, Skylar, Jocey, Reagan, Ava, Keagan and Ariel.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    And in regards to COY in the SEC, why shouldn't Tim Walton be under high consideration? they were pre-season picked #8. He and his new staff have done amazing things with this team, IMO. But the powers that be will screw the Gators with their post season accolades just like they did with our gymnastics team.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  7. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    sec worst case = 4th with bye to thursday.

• Like Like x 1
  8. VegasGator91

VegasGator91 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    Erickson HR call (Gators radio)

• Like Like x 4
  9. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Yep - Pretty amazing accomplishment for this team and their coaches. Tennessee finishes up hosting Kentucky, so odds are they win the SEC. Arkansas finishes up hosting Ole Miss, so a sweep there is a good possibility. If we take 2 of 3 from TAM it could be a 3-way tie for 2nd. A bunch of things could happen, but the Gators being guaranteed no worse than 4th place is impressive. Hopefully we can do better, plus a win at FSU would be sweet, too.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    the o had better put up more than 3. doubt ctw is going to have a high count with ava, pulled her early last time against fsu.

11. ufgator72sb

ufgator72sb GC Legend

Aug 4, 2023
    Or maybe add Katie

12. alysb21

alysb21 GC Legend

Jan 8, 2019
    Because they'll give it to Trisha Ford because A&M hasn't finished high at all and the media is in love.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. alysb21

alysb21 GC Legend

Jan 8, 2019
    As much as I like her Katie's numbers aren't quite there. And we won't end uo having as many as we should unfortunately. Korbe, Jocey, and Reagen are for sure getting it. Thesw 3 should also be on the national top 25 finalists.. All three of the freshmen mentioned should also. Ava hitting numbers will help her. And Ariel has been strong lately.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. ufgator72sb

ufgator72sb GC Legend

Aug 4, 2023
    I agree, the only way she gets All-SEC is to go on a tear this week and in the SEC tournament. I know it’s a wishful thinking of my part.

15. ufgtr77

ufgtr77 Junior

Apr 22, 2024
    I totally agree with our Amanda. I am elated that Jocey chose to be a Gator. She is clutch in evey way she plays the game.

16. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    And here is Jocey's classy reply:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    I know Texas A&M is 39-9, 15-6 in the SEC, but here is how they got to their conference record: swept South Carolina, took 2 of 3 from Mississippi State, swept Auburn, lost 3 to LSU, won 2 of 3 vs. Kentucky, won 2 of 3 from Alabama, swept Ole Miss. They have not played Georgia, Tennessee, Arkansas or Missouri. Probably the easiest SEC schedule in the league this year. In fact per D1 softball Florida's SOS is now #25, OOC SOS #85. Texas A&M's SOS is #32, OOC SOS #95. Not saying they're not a good team, but I think we can win the series and finish 2nd in the conference. They do have a stud pitcher, Emily Kennedy, a junior whse SEC ERA is 1.85. We'll have to figure her out. But they only hit .250 in SEC games and we can take this team. Goo Gators!

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. 1990Gator

1990Gator VIP Member

Dec 30, 2013
    Well, we got back late last night from Athens and boy what a fantastic weekend it was. A few observations from our trip.

1. Our team is awesome - they went into a hostile environment and won 2 of 3 from UGA. Great to see one player after another pick up for other teammates that were struggling. Our timely hitting finally showed up and if we clean up the errors, we will be the team no one wants to play.

2. Our freshman pitchers are incredible. Keagan won 2 games and notched her 20th win of the year. She will only get better. Ava had a little bit of a rough outing on the mound but "Downtown" Ava Brown showed up this weekend and she brought out her big bat with 2 home runs and 5 RBI. We are lucky to have them.

3. Thanks to a call from Coach Walton to Coach Baldwin, the first three rows above the visiting dugout were reserved for family and friends of the Gators. Brittany told us that we had 85 people on the list for seating and it seemed like there was more than that. It was great to sit and chat with some of the parents and cheer their kids on right beside them. One thing that was a common theme was how much the players and their families love the coaching staff and the whole program. Another thing that was impressive is the parents thanking us for traveling to an away venue and supporting their daughters, they were truly grateful.

I would be remiss if I didn't comment on the UGA softball stadium. Please note that I hate UGA as much as anyone (and more than FSU) but:

As you may or may not know, UGA does not charge admission and there is no reserved seating for softball. People line up 3+ hours before first pitch to get in to see a game. Some think not charging is a bad idea but I can tell you that the atmosphere is electric. I have never seen that level of excitement and cheering at KSP ever! I think the reason why is that 1/2 the crowd were young girls who were all yelling and screaming all game long. The stadium hold 2,000 fans, they had 2,185 in attendance on Sunday and they probably turned away 300+ disappointed fans. We need to come up with a way to get younger fans to our games, As an old fart, I cheer for our team at KSP but no where near as loud or as long as pre-teen and teenage girls can and do.

After experiencing three days of ear splitting cheering - I can see how a recruit would choose to play at UGA, especially now that they are in the midst of 38.5 million dollar indoor softball complex build. The place is just electric and the cheering is louder than I've ever heard at any event with the exception of the football in the Swamp.

They also have an area between the home dugout and their bull pen where players families can sit or stand and watch the game - a fantastic idea.

One more thing of note - The concessions were top notch. They had at least three concession stands that I saw and the prices were incredible. A hot dog was only $ 2.50 (at KSP it's $ 9.00), a 32oz soft drink in their souvenir cup was only $ 4.00 (at KSP it's $ 8.00) and although I didn't get a beer, I know it was much cheaper than the $ 12.00 that we charge.

A family of 4 can go to a UGA softball game and not spend $50.00 and the same family of 4 cannot got to a UF softball and spend less that $100.00 - another reason why they typically draw 1600+ fans a game.

They have 10 seniors that will be playing their last softball at UGA and l'm ecstatic that Kearney, Fields, Mosely and Chambly will not suit up against us next year but with the program that Baldwin is building up there, they will be a pain in our butts soon enough - maybe not next year but they will be sooner than later.

With that being said, it great to be a Florida Gator and it was great to walk in there and slap those dogs with a rolled up newspaper.

Great job ladies now bring on A & M.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. urban06

urban06 Sophomore

Dec 16, 2017
    All: HOW are we looking to host a regional? Thoughts??