Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Ongoing UF Softball Commentary

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by ocalaman, Feb 20, 2022.

1. orangeblue77

orangeblue77 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 19, 2023
    Florida
    I think our Gator Girls have a legitimate chance of winning the SEC regular season title.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. orangeblue77

Feb 19, 2023
    Florida
    Kistler had an off day tonight. I predict 3 of 5 for 6 rbi tomorrow. Taking all bets as long as there friendly lol.

3. sweetpotato2

sweetpotato2 GC Legend

May 5, 2023
    probably rested and practice. fist game vs auburn is tomorrow.

4. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Incredible game and a very tough loss. But here are my thoughts about tonight. First of all, with freshmen, games like this are going to happen and I give a lot of credit to Miss. State for having the resilience to battle back from a 12-6 deficit going to the bottom of the 6th. Our pitchers struggled, not with walks or hit batters, but with putting too many balls over the center of the plate. You just can't do that with SEC quality hitters and this was just a lesson in humility for the 3 young pitchers.
    However, it was defensive lapses in the 6th inning that led to their 7 runs just as much as our pitching and their hitting. To start off the inning, the first batter hit a ball almost to the wall that Avery Goelz (who had just been put in) misjudged and never really made an effort to catch. Then on a single, the throw in went to Kowalewski, who saw the runner on first on her way to 2nd and threw a good ball to Mia, who dropped the ball that should have been an easy out. Then on an infield chopper, Wallace & AK collided on a play that I thought Ariel had the easier play and a sure out at first. AK, also, had a couple of hard hit balls at her that, if she had made any one of the plays, would have gotten another out.
    I'm not blaming any player - just things fell apart for us in the bottom of the 6th and any number of plays could have ended the inning without them taking the lead. Our pitchers got beat up, for sure, and it will be interesting to see how the team bounces back tomorrow and Sunday. I predict Walsh will be at 3rd, but I wonder who will start in the circle. My guess is he'll stick with Ava, but the Bulldogs definitely have momentum and confidence now and it's up to us to take it back.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2024
    • Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  5. sweetpotato2

sweetpotato2 GC Legend

May 5, 2023
    I hope Kayla beaver is okay. I read on facebook she took a line drive to the clavicle area.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Porschegator

Porschegator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 15, 2016
    Canton Ohio
    Our problems are insignificant compared to other SEC teams; namely Alabama. Kentucky, loosers of 6 SEC games in a row beat Alabama yesterday. Bama now in 10th place in SEC.

7. ufgator72sb

ufgator72sb GC Legend

Aug 4, 2023
    Katie made some great plays in RF tonight. None more important than her catch to end the game! Katie Kistler!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Kistler has been great defensively, but overall our defense has been shaky 2 days in a row. Mississippi State puts the ball in play and puts pressure on the defense to make plays. Our pitchers are not big strikeout throwers yet, so the defense has to be really good for us to hold teams down.

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    Serious question:

It's a statistical fact that opponents' batting average increase the second and third time through the lineup, as they get dialed in on the pitcher.

I understand in baseball trying to get the most out of a pitcher because with the throwing mechanics, baseball pitchers can't pitch every day. So you often leave them in until it is clear they are out of gas.

But in softball, why wait for trouble? Even if Rothrock is doing well, why not have AB come in in after four innings, just to give a new look for the batters. Rothrock pitches the first four innings of every game, Brown the last three. Or some combo.

Today, for example, Miss State got Brown's number near the end of the game but stayed in until it was bases loaded. We all know how things turned out last night, although luckily today was Good Friday. :)

There must be a reason no one does this.

10. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I think in our case it's the fact that the other pitcher will be starting the next game....so if you can finish with the starter you get the edge of a different look in the next game, and keep that 2nd pitcher fresh.
    Optimally you have a 3rd arm that could close, but Miller is struggling a bit of late so I think there is hesitancy in a close game

11. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Beaver was the winning pitcher tonight as Alabama beat Kentucky.

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. alysb21

alysb21 GC Legend

Jan 8, 2019
    It has been weird to see it shaky this weekend but honestly sometimes it happens and then they'll get to practice this week and they'll be fine. Personally, I expected this to happen at some point with how young our defense is I'm just glad the timing is now and they'll learn from it. This team is so resistant though. Fighters.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Gators need to pile up as many conferences wins as possible because our last 2 series are against Georgia & Texas A&M. We have no control over what Tennessee does, but Florida has a real chance to be competitive for the SEC regular season title.
    UT is 7-0 in the SEC right now, having swept Missouri and South Carolina and won the first game with Auburn. They don't play Florida or Texas A&M this year. They host Georgia next week, then go to Miss. State, host LSU, go to Alabama, then finish at Kentucky.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. sweetpotato2

sweetpotato2 GC Legend

May 5, 2023
    Kentucky has a slim 3-2 lead heading to the bottom of the 6th. Beaver started again and now briski is in the circle.
    Stephanie is in the circle for Kentucky

15. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Next week's LSU series will go a long way towards deciding if we're going to be a serious contender for the SEC title. I like the togetherness and fight in this team.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Kentucky just beat Alabama 4-3 in 8 innings.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Porschegator

Porschegator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 15, 2016
    Canton Ohio
    If Jocelyn is not on the softball map; she sure is now. She is a lock for SEC player of the week ; maybe even national player of the week.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    Dear Tim,

Thanks for trying my idea today. I think adjusting to a different pitcher threw off the Mississippi State batters a bit each time you switched today. Glad it worked out for you.

If you need some other ideas, just ask.

Best,
    -- Johnny

• Funny Funny x 8
  19. orangeblue77

Feb 19, 2023
    Florida
    All opposing pitchers will roll the first pitch to her like a bowling ball the rest of season.

20. orangeblue77

Feb 19, 2023
    Florida
    Great response and fight by the Lady Gators this weekend.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1