Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Ongoing UF Softball Commentary

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by ocalaman, Feb 20, 2022.

1. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    WARNING -- RANT MODE ON

Pitch clock to speed up the game? Reduce the number of challenges or what can be challenged would speed up the game more.

IU seemed to be using challenges just as momentum breakers. When Ava Brown hit the three-run homer off IU's obviously tired pitcher, first IU challenged whether the runner at 1B left early (causing a delay for review). Then, once the call was upheld, IU sent out a new pitcher, who spent time warming up.

The mojo from the 3-run blast was 15 minutes ago by the time the game restarted. Yesterday IU challenged a runner leaving 2B early, which was not even close.

Unfortunately, there's a pretty big "why not" factor. A runner leaving early is always going to be close. Might as well roll the dice -- maybe you get lucky and it saves a run.

But it is boring boring boring in the stands to watch these pretty out-of-shape umps "run" to the dugout, wait for the review, then "run" back. Frankly, a bad call gives fans a something to talk about and get emotional about. The occasional bad call has been part of the game for decades.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. alysb21

alysb21 GC Legend

Jan 8, 2019
    Lol well of it'd been intentional sure lol

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. alysb21

alysb21 GC Legend

Jan 8, 2019
    I 100% agree about what IU coach was doing. And she was defintlety doing it after the walton challenge on obstruction. I don't see her and Walton getting along anytime soon.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Coaches' challenges on leaving early is new this year to my understanding. It is being abused. It is happening numerous times in every game across the country and out of all of those challenges, I think one was successful that I have seen. Most are not legit. Coaches are using it to blow up the game or as a desperate hope. Get rid of it and go back to having only the umps decide. Some change can be good. For instance getting rid of the B.S. pitcher hop. Some are bad and this challenge for leaving early is one of them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Well, Tim won the challenge although I didn't think he should. Supposedly they tightened up the obstruction rule to make it more realistic but the catcher is standing there with the ball with the runner 10 feet away. What is she supposed to do? Run away?

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    Well, granted this has nothing to do with obstruction, but Rule #1 of base running is never run into an obvious tag. Putting aside obstruction, I was surprised that she didn't turn around or at least stop 10 feet earlier when it was clear that the catcher had the ball.

OTOH, maybe it has everything to do with obstruction and she figured she might get the call -- which she did. And if that's true, more's the pity.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  7. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    From what I understand, Julia cooked her own goose at UF. I don't know if Tim told her to take a hike but I am pretty certain he and the team were not happy with her. She then went to Okie State. Supposedly home for her. And she and her father blew it up to the point she was pretty much benched the last 1/3 of the season and she fled to A&M and her father to Mizzou. She has had and is having two decent years at A&M. Solid but probably not All-SEC. I don't boo kids in this game but if I were in the stands for A&M coming to town she certainly wouldn't be getting any love from me. We don't miss her a bit.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Please, let's end this Julia talk. All it can do is evolve into unnecessary speculation.
    There is nothing to be gained by this.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. alysb21

alysb21 GC Legend

Jan 8, 2019
    I don't mind the rule being emphasized because there have been some egregious leaving early. But as you said it is being abused. Like challenging it during huge hits and moments in the game to take away runs.

10. orangeblue77

orangeblue77 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 19, 2023
    Florida
    Agree 100%. I wasn’t in the stadium but it was boring boring boring on the radio also. Btw I think Ava’s hit was a base clearing double not a homer. Seriously I totally agree with you.

• Like Like x 1
  11. orangeblue77

Feb 19, 2023
    Florida
    I’m obviously happy that call went our way but I personally hate that obstruction rule. There’s a difference between the letter of the law and basic common sense. Defenders should be allowed to defend, otherwise why are they on the field?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. orangeblue77

Feb 19, 2023
    Florida
    All things aside we have a fantastic team. I don’t want to get too high so early in the season but I’m excited to see how far these Gator Girls will go!

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. orangeblue77

Feb 19, 2023
    Florida
    That said lol. I think Katie Kistler will have a huge, clutch moment in the WCWS! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Porschegator

Porschegator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 15, 2016
    Canton Ohio
    If I stirred up the animals, I apologize. I made my comment about Julia solely because I think playing for three different college softball teams is way over the top.

15. orangeblue77

Feb 19, 2023
    Florida

16. orangeblue77

Feb 19, 2023
    Florida
    Well I didn’t do that right lol. Sorry

17. sweetpotato2

sweetpotato2 GC Legend

May 5, 2023
    Random fact: Kristen butler set the single season record for caught stealing in 2006 with 22. she had 61 caught stealing her career.

• Informative Informative x 2
  18. Porschegator

Porschegator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 15, 2016
    Canton Ohio
    Many of the Florida coaches including Sully do post game press conferences. TW does very few. Does anyone no why? I think it would be good PR if he did more, particularly if he brought a couple of the players with him.

19. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    I love this softball team, but still a lot to prove. As of this morning, per Warrennolan.com we're only #25 in the RPI rankings, #86 SOS, #125 OOC SOS, 6-2 in Quad 1 games, 4-2 in Quad 2 games, 2-0 in Quad 3 games and 13-0 in Quad 4 games. D1 Softball's first RPI rankings come out tomorrow.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

Watching their development portends to be an exciting adventure.

• Agree Agree x 2