Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Ongoing UF Softball Commentary

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by ocalaman, Feb 20, 2022.

1. bigDgator

bigDgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I was looking over the roster, and 8 of our 18 softball players are 5'10". Reagan is 5'9", so almost half the team. That is a tall softball team.

Just thought it was interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  2. sweetpotato2

sweetpotato2 GC Legend

May 5, 2023
    Lmao. They are always complaining about something.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. alysb21

alysb21 GC Legend

Jan 8, 2019
    They are... and attack you if you say anything negative about OU. They literally have nothing to complain about. I guess they're worried it's going to mess with their teams overdone theatrics. If they still had Bahl prancing around the circle they would overthrow the rules.

4. ufgator72sb

ufgator72sb GC Legend

Aug 4, 2023
    “The First Pitch on the Diamond” should be fun. I am looking forward to it.

5. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    You've got the idea but wrong on the numbers. On any particular weekend it could be gymnastics, baseball and two basketball games. Granted, the schedule doesn't usually turn out with four of the primes on the same weekend but you get my point. We can't do all of them and the rest of the SEC can.

6. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    LOL. I'm pretty sure that isn't a good enough hint to distinguish you from the rest of the crowd.
    In any event, as I told Phil privately, I expect numerous photos and long commentary about what happens.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    +1

8. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    First Pitch on the Diamond
    This event was well organized, and the softball program was looked at well.
    We started at the player entrance at the back of the facility. Players greeted us and gave us a tour of the whole building.
    Emily was our guide initially, and they had other players greet us in the various sections. We saw everything from the coaches' offices to the ladies' shower room. I watched closely to see if anyone took pictures there, but fortunately, no one did.
    We sat in the ladies' meeting room, and CTW gave a talk and showed clips of plays about positioning infielders. He showed 3 clips: Kelsey's back throw to 1B, Charla taking a ground ball and tagging the runner off the base and then throwing out the batter at 1B, and Hannah's no-hitter saving play when she went on the SS side of 2B and nipped the runner at 1B. I am proud to say I was at all three of those games. Skylar and Mia then talked about communication in the infield and how important the SS and 2nd baseman communication is to all infield positions.
    The locker room was nice, and we enjoyed that. The neatest part is that they have a locker for Heather Braswell with a picture of her in a jersey throwing a ball.
    One of the best things there is the wall of bats. They have a bat hanging honoring every player who has made All-American. They have the players' names and what looks like a swing weight around each bat with a different color for which All-American team they made.
    We went back to the field and had comments made, and then we ate Sonny's.
    Afterwards, Steve Russell interviewed Ava Brown, Skylar, and CTW. The poise and ease with which these ladies speak in public is amazing.
    I know many are against NIL, but folks, that is our world, and if we don't embrace it, we will fall behind.
    We went into the pitching lab, and they showed us their warm-up routines and a drill where they start in front of the rubber and gradually move back, throwing with the goal of every pitch being faster than the last. We have 4 pitchers and 4 mounds, and they do this drill together. Ava said it builds bonds among them as they compete but encourage each other. Also, they all have wristbands that are similar to Apple Watches. Coach Dobbins can call the pitches on them. The other players get instructions from CTW on where to play the current batter.
    We went to the batting cages and saw their warm-up routine, and then Reagan and Kendra hit. Of course, they are very different hitters, and CAT explained how they approach their at-bats differently.
    One thing I found very curious. Neither the Diamond Club President nor Secretary were there.
    I will quit rambling and post pics.
    IMG_1489.jpg IMG_1519.jpg IMG_1525.jpg IMG_1518.jpg IMG_1491.jpg IMG_1519.jpg

Last edited: Feb 4, 2024
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  9. johnny_cakes

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    So jealous! I don't travel down South until first pitch this Friday and was incredibly bummed that this was scheduled before the season starts.

You had an very unique experience -- in the entire history of KSP, I believe that is only the second time the public has been invited into the locker room, coachs' offices, and the rest of the facility. Unless I'm wrong, the only other time was May 20, 2019.

I think you are right about NIL, so I'm gonna drop what I can. In case anyone else wants to donate, DO NOT use the main donation link on the FV webpage. You need to go to the page where earmarks are permitted:
    Florida Achievement Support Trust (stripe.com)

• Like Like x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  10. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Come see us, we will be there.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. ufgator72sb

ufgator72sb GC Legend

Aug 4, 2023
    5 Days to First Pitch!
    Kim Waleszonia OF 2006-09
    upload_2024-2-4_0-15-59.jpeg

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. ufgator72sb

ufgator72sb GC Legend

Aug 4, 2023
    Pitching, I was impressed with Coach Chelsey Dobbins. She knew her stuff. Our pitchers, these young ladies are so talented. There seemed to be a bond between all four pitchers. These young ladies have been working hard to train for D1 Softball. They are ready. I am excited to see them perform. I don’t think we have too much to worry about. These young ladies are good!

• Like Like x 3
  13. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Roughly, how many people were there?

14. 1990Gator

1990Gator VIP Member

Dec 30, 2013
    Sorry Johnny, 2019 was not the last time. @sandman70 @notexgator and the wife and I (as well as about a dozen others) got the same tour last spring as a thank you for setting up the softball NIL.

15. ufgator72sb

ufgator72sb GC Legend

Aug 4, 2023
    There was maybe between 40 and 60. It was a good crowd.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Porschegator

Porschegator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 15, 2016
    Canton Ohio
    Scrappy is a star as usual as are many of the posters on this thread. If I was to start a new company (but to old now) I would load up my board of directors with people from the UF Softball Commentary.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. johnny_cakes

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    I'm sure there have been many private tours over the years for special people. But I think there have only been two "general public, anyone can sign up" type tours -- including last night. Great move for FV to give value that way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. lg4uf_

lg4uf_ VIP Member

Mar 13, 2023
    Awesome experience

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    You are right, but the first was for Gator Diamond Club members when the renovation was completed.
    Amanda Lorenz and Alex Voss led our group.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

20. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    It was good to meet you ufgator72sb.

• Friendly Friendly x 1