Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Ongoing UF Softball Commentary

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by ocalaman, Feb 20, 2022.

1. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    Is it me or did it also seem like they also didn't give the "signal" back to the dugout after getting a single or a double?
    That's a small thing, but I think it lets everyone participate in the positive moment and is team building.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Again, I don't know if that unnamed and out of shape player was Lefty but these things I'm hearing now surprise me. And, without doubt, the relationship disintegrated for some reason. I can say that Lefty spent considerable time over the summer in California going to Dodger games and even spent some time vacationing in Hawaii. That, of course, doesn't mean she wasn't also working out but 2+2 is beginning to add up to four. Skylar, on the other hand, spent most of the summer doing heavy workouts that left Tim almost speechless by his own recounting.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. GatorBall0720

GatorBall0720 VIP Member

Nov 30, 2023
    Here is what I found on Makenna Bellaire:
    2x 6A Florida All State
    Alliance National Player of the Month
    1.61 pop time
    Seemingly big bat
    + speed
    Played for Mustangs Ray 16u which finished 5th in Colorado, losing to Unity Johnson, but she was 2/2 with a bomb. Also took Cable yard in 10th inning of scoreless HS Regional Finals last season. Seems the kid can play.
    I don’t trust the rankings as the are pay to play - I trust my research. I trust Tim more.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    He also said in this second podcast, that after praising Sarah again, he mentioned he is strongly in favor of NIL but there are significant problems because there are no boundaries. He said we get 12 scholarships but some are getting 20. Which was his coy way of clearly saying "some" teams are buying players and, unless you're living under a rock, we know who that "some" is. Gotta laugh about Sarah but clearly, although she was somewhat talent level constrained, she must have really conducted herself in an exemplary fashion as a worker and teammate and earned his total respect.

5. sandman70

sandman70 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    There are 67,000 reasons Alana Vawter went to South Carolina eschewing the Gators.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Yep but that was a one off and not year after year buying a complete roster like "some" team who happens to be within walking distance of OKC. On another note, reflecting on what I heard in the second podcast, after again moaning about how he desperately wishes he could get Amanda back to Gainesville, he mentioned how much he loves what he is doing and how much he loves being a Gator. You have to hear it for yourself. This wasn't just the obligatory "yeah I like my job", this was forceful and passionate. I think Francesca may have to wait a little longer than he's "about to ride off into the sunset".

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. johnny_cakes

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    With the NCAA proposing on Tuesday direct payments to athletes by the university and a new subdivision within Division I where schools would have to pay a minimum of $30,000 per athlete per year to half of all athletes, the NIL world is about to explode.

The NCAA proposal is a $30,000 minimum per athlete with no maximum. They are running scared from Arizona State swimmer Grant House's class action lawsuit which could be $4 Billion (with a B) in damages.

Who knows what this will mean to the donor-funded collectives that have been buying players like Vaster.

With Title IX rules requiring equal distribution of resources between male and female athletes, this is going to hit softball big. Donor collectives are not constrained by Title IX.

Personally, I think NIL -- and the transfer portal -- is great for the student athlete and is probably "fair." But it's bad for the fan. Professional sports are all about the money. College sports used to be about the tradition, the experience, the ambiance, the fans, the environment, the history, etc. Sad to see it change to money ball.

8. alysb21

alysb21 GC Legend

Jan 8, 2019
    What happened to players getting a 4 year education...room&board and meals not being enough? College is a privilege not a job.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Don't you know that everyone is entitled to everything these days?!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. sandman70

sandman70 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    CTW hates Oklahoma and their continuous bending of the rules.

11. alysb21

alysb21 GC Legend

Jan 8, 2019
    I wouldn't say he hates OU. He went there but I feel like he knows a lot of what goes on between Roacha being there and I'd imagine he and Kenny had a conversation about the Maxwell transfer. I love the fact he's hinting at what we all know is true though. They do have unfair advantage which is money and the media on their side. Also playing the wcws in their on yard....... It'll take several coaches to ever make it change. OU softball and Gymnastics would be where all the women's $$ goes I would surely bet. Other programs have more than those sports to think about. I do agree though they get away with a lot and everyone knows they don't just get these star portal players without putting feelers out before they're ever in the portal. In football it's pretty much already said tampering occurs.... you know it's everywhere.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2023
  12. johnny_cakes

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    They are rather expensive for one game with UF unless you know someone in Deland and can unload the rest, but reserved season seats for the Stetson game went on sale this morning. They don't sell individual game reserved tickets, you have to buy the whole season and then sell the rest. Of course, you can just go and sit General Admission, if you get there before they sell out. The stadium is one of the tiniest we play in, probably second only to Jacksonville.

13. sandman70

sandman70 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    He doesn’t like Oklahoma softball or Patty Gasso. Thinks they are cheaters.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    The GA seating is not bad. I have been there a couple of times.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. alysb21

alysb21 GC Legend

Jan 8, 2019
    Pretty fair assessment

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. ufgator72sb

ufgator72sb GC Legend

Aug 4, 2023
    I upgraded my seats today from the Plaza to Sec 102. I can only attend the LSU series. Once I get the tickets, I can sell the pair of tickets to those who are looking for good seats in the stadium seats. I am not looking for a profit. I do want to cover my expenses. I can tell you this., they will really reasonable compare to Ticketmaster prices. It’ll be first come first serve when I put them up.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Well, he is correct

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. sweetpotato2

sweetpotato2 GC Legend

May 5, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Porschegator

Porschegator GC Legend

Aug 15, 2016
    Canton Ohio
    I always liked TW but I like him even more today. He said on a recent podcast he tried like crazy to get a pitcher in the portal to support his freshman pitchers but did not succeed. He gave no excuses coachspeak or BS. Touch of class.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    Yet this board was in full on melt down mode like he wasn’t doing anything to remedy that situation. We all know why he didn’t land one of those two top pitchers, he doesn’t have to tell us. Only the chicken littles need to be told what he’s doing with every moment of his time. The rest of us knew he can count and knew that he was smart enough to know he needed more than two pitchers to start the season. We also knew he was working hard to make that happen.

• Winner Winner x 1