Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Ongoing UF Softball Commentary

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by ocalaman, Feb 20, 2022.

1. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    I don't think it meant anything. As I said before, he really didn't talk about any of the freshmen individually. He mentioned Keagan and her resume but that took about 30 seconds. He mentioned Alyssia and Ariel in the context of somebody needs to play third base. He never mentioned Ava, Olivia, Mia or Cassidy. He talked in general about the rather difficult process of being a freshman and developing confidence and communication. He did say, obviously, we're going as far as our pitching can take us. "What is a freshman going to do on a Monday night on national tv in the Rhodes House? I don't know." He had kind words for Emily, Avery, Reagan and Katie. LOL.....he had to throw in praise for Sarah Longley. (It just doesn't stop). While he didn't use the term "superstar" in discussing Jocey, I think that's where he is headed. Elite level hitter and both excellent defensively at first and catching. Lots of praise for Korbe who (given she wants to be a cardiothoracic surgeon) sometimes talks to him in medical terms and he's like, "is this English?" Apparently, Korbe has quite the personality. I missed the "going off into the sunset" but my gut tells me there is a tentative plan in place. I have no inside information but it makes absolutely no sense for Francesca to give up a promising broadcasting career and move her family to Gainesville from Orlando if there wasn't a long term discussion that took place. Whether he has an idea when he is heading for something else in his life, I don't know, but I think his youngest graduates high school in 2025. My gut says he basically told Francesca that if she ever wants to be the UF head coach, she needs to put in a couple years coaching now. I just think she will be the face of the program sooner or later.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Ya know....I forgot a little tidbit from the podcast that is interesting. I wondered how Tim would handle getting rid of Bosch and hiring a new pitching coach vis-a-vis Keagan and her mother, a fairly well established pitching coach in her own right. He confirmed he did keep them involved in the loop while searching for a new coach. I think that says a lot about where he stands with Keagan.

• Like Like x 1
  3. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    I don't know if this has been posted. CTW is supplementing CFE's salary out of his camp income. Since she has not coached before, she could not command a high salary.
    That tells us what he thinks of her.
    I also liked the comment about getting Amanda on staff. What a duo that would be.
    Come on Sully, open up a spot for Griffin.
    BTW, Amanda and Griffin are getting married in Hawaii this weekend.

• Like Like x 1
  4. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Getting a job for Griffin would be the only way to get Amanda on board at this point. While I don't know it for a fact, I seriously wonder if Tim didn't also reach out to Amanda for the fourth position. As I said privately to a friend just a few moments ago, the timing for Amanda right now just isn't right. She is still a player and I suspect is aiming for the 2028 Olympics. Plus her soon to be husband is a full-time coach for Clemson baseball. Amanda has to at some point spend time actually in a coaching job somewhere if that is her eventual path. Not just as a volunteer assistant. But, I can dream. If I am right that Francesca is being groomed to take over some day....she could always make Amanda an associate head coach.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I think it's pretty common for GA's/volunteer coaches/ low level asst to supplement thier salary via camps and lessons. Lot of baseball kids that I know did that as they moved into the coaching arena.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    This is directly out of CTW's pocket.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. ufgator72sb

ufgator72sb GC Legend

Aug 4, 2023
    I would give to a Francesca fund. I am thrilled about this hire.

8. sweetpotato2

sweetpotato2 GC Legend

May 5, 2023
    Congratulations to Baylee! She earned her bachelor’s in advertising. ( via instagram.)

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I need the season to start

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  10. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    The days of volunteer coaches ended in January. NCAA running scared from antitrust lawsuit. Like you say, camps/lessons are a big thing to get lower people paid, but now the former "volunteer" coaching position is not required to have a salary of $0 from the school.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2023
  11. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes...was just using prior examples. Still very common for a GA

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Explain, please.

13. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    The NCAA had a rule that teams could have a "volunteer" coach position, as long as the salary was $0. In short, the NCAA created a job and then set the price that everyone could pay at $0. That was alleged to be price fixing in an antitrust lawsuit filed against the NCAA.

In denying the NCAA's motion to dismiss, the judge held: "it is not implausible that volunteer coaches would have been paid a salary above $0 but for the NCAA's adoption of the bylaw." With the writing on the wall, the NCAA immediately abolished the "volunteer" coach position and just added an additional regular coach position. Schools can pay any salary they want, from $0 to mega-millions.

I heard an assistant coach speak last month who said that at some lesser schools, the volunteer coach shows up when they want and does what they want on a truly volunteer basis. But at major schools, its well-beyond a full-time position and the volunteer coach does what is assigned lest they be terminated. Sure the valuable experience is some compensation and if the school can hire for $0 more power to them, but now the coaches can negotiate for a salary in addition to the experience.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Another long interview with Tim. Not really much new, at least what stuck out for me. He is pretty much now openly stating Jocey is a superstar. Biggest surprise for me was him indicating that Emily might get some time at third with Ariel, Brooke and Alyssa. Unless I missed or forgot something, I don't think she has touched a ball at third as a Gator but I have seen her play some third a long time ago when she was with the Atlanta Vipers. https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aH...2ahUKEwiO_eLyw7TtAhW9cjABHffNB0YQ9sEGegQIARAF

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. GatorsOTK

GatorsOTK Senior

Jan 19, 2012
    Kind of don’t like hearing that. Sounds like a bit of a hole in the team there for now but it gives someone the opportunity to step up and take the job. Surprised Mia never took reps in fall games there. Wish Lefty was still here to take that job.

16. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    After watching practice and fall ball, I do not think Lefty would sniff 3B. She did not field well and made too many errors.
    I hate for her to go, but I believe it was in her best interest.

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    He did say in this most recent podcast that an unnamed player came back in the Fall apparently out of shape and the implication she wasn't working hard enough. I don't know who that would be but I wonder if it wasn't Lefty. Something went wrong in that whole dynamic. I just cruised through the D1 Softball transfer list looking at who has entered this portal and it is very light. On paper, at least, Lefty appears to be way above anyone else that has entered this December.

18. alysb21

alysb21 GC Legend

Jan 8, 2019
    Really like everything that I've heard so far. It will be up and down I'm sure with relying on freshmen arms... but we have a high ceiling I think.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    I've known this since last year but have yet to post it. Considering what I have seen since I will, it is from an impeccable source.
    If you have been to practice, you know there are softballs everywhere. The players are supposed to pick them up and put them in the round containers. Freshmen should lead the charge.
    Lefty and Olivia, who are best friends, would not do it. When the upperclassmen would say something to them, they would say F off.
    With those attitudes, it is no wonder they are gone.

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Agree with your conclusion, but Wow! Don't need that type of behavior on any team.

• Agree Agree x 4