Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Ongoing UF Softball Commentary

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by ocalaman, Feb 20, 2022.

1. Porschegator

Porschegator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 15, 2016
    Canton Ohio
    Only 1 percent of high school softball players make it to D1. To play for a team like Florida the odds are even worse. All of these Florida girls are elite athletes; just some are better than others.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. lg4uf_

lg4uf_ VIP Member

Mar 13, 2023
    Some notes from a friend: on Ava “She is Barnhill who can field a bunt and throw to first plus Kelly couldn’t hit. Brown is big time. Rothrock can hit too so she’s got to play”

“Goelz is so good in the field But Brown is too good … so she’ll either 1b or DH when she isn’t pitching“

“Otis, Falby and Wallace give UF three legit base stealers. Otis hits for power, can run and she’s the best center fielder we’ve had since Merritt. Erickson will be the every day catcher. Erickson is going to have a monster year at the plate and she’s exceptional handling the pitchers. Hovermale 3B … Pollard RF … McClellan will play a lot but so will Kistler. Re Hovermale - She hits and she can fly. They have to figure out what to do with Kowalewski who hits moon shots … but she catches and plays 1B. With the people we have hitting in front of and behind Walsh and Erickson they’re going to have to pitch to them.”

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    I think Hovermale is a sleeper star in the making.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. lg4uf_

lg4uf_ VIP Member

Mar 13, 2023
    I’ve been told, and who knows, that Hovermale is solid at 3B but having Walsh spell her if her hitting is off. Nice luxury

• Like Like x 1
  5. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    For a couple years, before Lefty graduated as she is a year older than Alyssa, they were a lock handling the left side of the Athletics Mercado-Smith infield...Alyssa at third and Lefty at short.

6. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    BTW, while I have no idea why, Alyssa's nickname is "Lou".

7. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. GatorsOTK

GatorsOTK Senior

Jan 19, 2012
    Didn’t know what to expect of Kowalewski coming in but her amount of playing time this fall has been a nice surprise. Also a fan of Barnard.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. ufgator72sb

ufgator72sb GC Legend

Aug 4, 2023
    Pronounced: [ Kuh-val-ess-kee ]

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  10. ufgator72sb

ufgator72sb GC Legend

Aug 4, 2023
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  11. johnny_cakes

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    lol -- thanks guys.
    UF website has each player saying their own name on their profile pages (click on the ear logo)
    Ariel Kowalewski - Softball - Florida Gators

Now if y'all could just solve my remembering how to pronounce it......Prevagen is just not cutting it anymore. lol
    In the meantime, I'm going with "AK."

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Cow ah lew ski
    Johnny gave you the definitive place to go.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. johnny_cakes

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    Got it!
    Untitled3.jpg

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  14. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Kylie Shaw:
    2025s in 5: Florida commit Kylie Shaw
    TOP STORIES Brady Vernon - October 18, 2023

D1Softball continues to expand its coverage in every aspect of the game. As we increase our attention toward the recruiting scene, we continue our new series called “2025s in 5,” asking five questions to 2025 softball recruits who have recently committed.

Florida commit Kylie Shaw
    Position: OF
    Travel Team-Spark Elite Ross/Stewart
    Hometown: Estero, Fla.

God is so good! Im staying home, and I could not be more happy for this opportunity!! Go gators #committed @_TimWalton @Cbarcl2 @Coach_AT @FranEnea10 @GatorsSB pic.twitter.com/WT5oFeOjtn

— Kylie Shaw (@kylie17shaw) October 4, 2023
    What about the environment and culture drew you to Florida?

From a young age, I knew I wanted to compete at the highest level possible and contribute to a championship-winning team. The Gators have a history of success and have produced numerous All-Americans. The coaching staff is the best, and I have complete confidence in their ability to maximize my potential. Their commitment to excellence and attention to detail set them apart. I had the opportunity to watch a practice which included a lot of one-on-one training with instant feedback. The team’s culture is very family-oriented, yet they are very focused on being the best which aligns with my goals.

As a hitter, how cool was it to see the season Skylar Wallace had last season and being a true triple threat?

Skylar Wallace was so fun to watch and a generational player. Her talent is incredible and her work ethic both on and off the field is second to none. She’s a perfectionist who strives for excellence in every aspect of her game. She serves as a role model for many players, and I had the privilege of meeting her during my visit. She’s just as remarkable off the field as she is on it, which speaks volumes.

Are there any softball players you admire or resemble your game after?

When I think of someone who relates to me, Kendra Falby comes to mind. Like me, she plays with a ton of passion and a tremendous love for the game. She excels as a true triple threat, utilizing every part of her game to succeed based on the situation presented. She has great speed, small ball proficiency, the ability to drive balls into the gaps, hit for power and tons of range in the outfield. She’s so fun to watch and is sure to have another great season.

What would you believe are your strengths as a player and what are you most focused on improving on right now?

At the plate, I am able to read the defense and take advantage of opportunities. I can execute bunts, chop slaps, drive balls into the gaps, or swing for power. My job has always been to get on base, any way possible. Once on base, my job is to cause chaos. Defensively, I have good range and am not afraid to lay out for balls. My primary focus right now is on further enhancing my overall strength and explosiveness in the gym. This will lead to increased power, speed, a stronger arm, and overall athleticism, making me a more well-rounded player, so that when I get to UF I can be at my full potential.

What are you most excited about going forward the next few years before arriving at Florida?

In the coming years, I’m excited to play with the top players and face other top players in our tournaments. My goal is to continue to improve, ensuring that when I arrive at UF as the best player I can possibly be.

Previous Article2023 Fall Report: Nebraska

Next Article2023 Fall Report: Tennessee

• Like Like x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sounds like a winner

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. GrandPrixGator

GrandPrixGator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah there is a cranky cuss who sits behind us who just can't seem to control what comes out of his mouth despite parents, grandparents, of players sitting directly in front of us. Just because you have an opinion....

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. gator999

gator999 Freshman

Jun 16, 2019
    I know exactly where you sit. Often, he can be heard next section over, unfortunately.

• Like Like x 1
  18. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Miami to start a softball program?

19. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    I thought this was interesting. Mackenzie Wooten approached the SB coaches to be a manager while she is in PT school. They tried her out and brought her on to
    the roster.

I cannot remember if I mentioned this or not, but November 8 is the signing day for our '24 class.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1