Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Ongoing UF Softball Commentary

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by ocalaman, Feb 20, 2022.

1. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Was she paid or a volunteer? Volunteers frequently, and really the norm, usually don't stay over two years.

2. sweetpotato2

sweetpotato2 GC Legend

May 5, 2023
    Also. let me add. It also could
    She was the assistant coach in 2022 and 2023. So I believe she was paid. another lady Nichole was the volunteer assistant coach both of those years.

3. theemaxpower

theemaxpower Junior

Jun 9, 2023
    Milton, DE
    I don't know if she's the fourth coach or not; BUT, she did tweet (I do believe it was during the Tennessee series) something like ... I think I want to coach. with the little thinking emoji guy next to it. So, I'm just saying she has shown interest. She'd be a good pick up.. she pretty much did it all when she played, pitching, fielding (multiple positions) and batting (although her senior year BA was .229 she batted .308 her junior year with more ABs). Just a thought.

4. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. orangeblue77

orangeblue77 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 19, 2023
    Florida
    Ocasio is a stud but isn’t she still playing. I know she tested the waters in the announcers booth this past season but. Anyways I think it’d be great having her on staff.

6. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    She does play in that pro league, but hat wouldn't detract her from being a 3rd paid assistant. The pro leagues don't play during fall & spring.

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. theemaxpower

theemaxpower Junior

Jun 9, 2023
    Milton, DE
    I just think it would be great if Tim would bring in an ex-Gator to be the 3rd asst. Haeger, Ocasio, Merritt, Gourley, Lorenz ( I know not happening), Enea, etc... I just think an exGator should be in there.

• Like Like x 2
  8. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Keagan Rothrock has this picture on her Instagram.
    Chelsey_Announcement.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  9. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Yep. Keagan retweeted that without comment. Her mother, her pitching coach, and very active on social media....total silence. I'm not implying either means anything...just reporting the facts.

10. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Since I don't believe Amanda is possible at this point, my strong vote of that bunch would be for Haeger. She provides both hitting and pitching expertise and, more importantly, has several years of coaching experience in travel and in the softball academy where she works. The others, great players that they are or were, have no coaching experience. And I say that from the perspective of someone that loves Francesca. I'm not sure what she would bring coaching and, in any event, she is working hard at building a promising broadcasting career. Doubt she would give that up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    True. Tarr in the last couple weeks has filled out her staff hiring Bates, Hayward and Gano. All three play AU. Hayward also plays for Team Canada.

12. theemaxpower

theemaxpower Junior

Jun 9, 2023
    Milton, DE
    I was just throwing some names out there, all great players and I think they all could add a different perspective. I personally, agree about Haeger; but, I think Alishia could also help a lot on the pitching, hitting, and fielding sides. I mentioned Gourley because I liked the way she was never rattled, always cool as a cucumber.. plus she's one of my favorites ( along with Kirsti). AND I threw Francesca in there because her analysis during games are really good and thought it could translate to coaching. I just would like an ExGator in that final coaching spot.

13. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    The only thing about bringing in ex-pitchers is whether would they voice their opinion over the pitching coach. This would not be a good situation.

14. theemaxpower

theemaxpower Junior

Jun 9, 2023
    Milton, DE
    I'm sure there are plenty of coaching staffs that have two ex-pitchers on staff. With your reasoning teams shouldn't have two coaches that played the field or batted either. So why have 4 coaches then. I think having a pitching coach and an assistant that has pitched at a high level would be a plus. Different perspectives are always a good thing. That's just how I see it. You could be right.. who knows.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
  16. 4everaGator

4everaGator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2010
    Central Florida
    Agree that Lauren Haegar would be an awesome choice if she would come. I know that CTW thinks the world of her contributions to Gator Softball. But if she isn't available, what about Hannah Rogers?

17. buffy2222

buffy2222 Junior

Jul 9, 2022
    Hannah Rogers is a new mom and loves it. She also has pitching lessons. I doubt anything would take her away from that right now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Somebody posted a while back that UF requires all their paid coaches to have a degree and that Haeger never got hers. I know that right now Haeger is a pitching & hitting instructor at the Softball Project outside of Charlotte. It's a business started by former Gator Kelsey Bruder and Haeger may have an invested interest. Hannah Rogers Clay is a wife, new mother, life insurance broker and volunteer softball coach at a school in Lake Wales. We've got to remember that most of our ex-players have gone on with their lives and gotten established in careers and communities.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. theemaxpower

theemaxpower Junior

Jun 9, 2023
    Milton, DE
    Ocasio is free and ready to roll. Tweeted that she wants to coach back during the Tennessee series. Just sayin'. lol

20. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    I thought that was an NCAA rule? That’s why Deion had to rush and get his degree from some no name online school before moving to the college ranks.