Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Ongoing UF Softball Commentary

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by ocalaman, Feb 20, 2022.

1. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    but if you try sometimes ,you just might find you get what you need.

• Like Like x 1
  2. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    some are heading for a 19th nervous breakdown

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Mercado played the Batbusters this weekend won by Mercado in a shocking game. Not shocking because Mercado won. Shocking because they won 12-1. Then the Batusters turned around and beat Firecrackers Rico while Mercado turned around and lost to Corona Angels. So both had a good and bad day on the same day. Anyway, Taylor Shumaker for the Batbusters went 0-2. Hard ground out to second and a ripped liner snagged by a high jumping third baseman to rob her of a double. Kai Minor for the Batbusters went yard for the only run. I said a week or so ago that Minor was a sometimes slapper and sometimes puncher. Not any more. Haven't seen her slap. She is a good gap hitter with blinding speed. Still would love to get her commitment this Fall as an entering freshman during Kendra's last season. Would be a great replacement. Of course, everyone else in the country wants her too. As for Mercado, Alyssa Hovermale was on fire. First at bat a sharp grounder in the 5-6 hole knocked down by the diving shortstop with no play for a single and rbi. Second at bat, an opposite field no doubter deep over the right field fence for two rbis. Complete with four Chomps between third and home. Third at bat a sharp and clean line drive single to right. Of concern, for a couple years the Mercado leadoff hitter is a really nice kid committed to Oregon named Kaylynn Jones. She stumbled violently over first base trying to beat out a hit and was carried off the field.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Jordan Roberts has played every season of Athletes Unlimited and she has been between good and very good every season. Every year she has hit monster bombs that have drawn gasps from both fans and players. Did it again tonight with a shot, without a very fierce Chicago wind blowing in from center, would have easily been out but it bounced into the wall and drove in a run for Team Leach. And don't get me started on Aubrey Leach who season after season is simply unsurpassed outstanding.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2023
  5. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Moderator VIP Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Paris, TN
    [​IMG]
    Congrats to Florida Signee, Ava Brown on being named Texas Gatorade Player of the year!!

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Porschegator

Porschegator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 15, 2016
    Canton Ohio
    She deserves every acolade she gets. She might be the best recruit in the nation. Sure would be nice to see a picture of a Florida player from the transfer portal.

7. theemaxpower

theemaxpower Junior

Jun 9, 2023
    Milton, DE
    She is just one of the reasons Tim needs to get this pitching coach thing right.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. theemaxpower

theemaxpower Junior

Jun 9, 2023
    Milton, DE
    Everytime I go on Twitter I see McLeod tweets thinking maybe a pick up or a hire; and I'm right. There are lots of pick up and hires... for other teams. Ugh.

9. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    The more I think about it, CTW is waiting for the MCWS to be over before he announces anything.
    Any announcement before then would be drowned out by all the hoopla going on in Omaha. That is the only rational reason that I can imagine.

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  11. alysb21

alysb21 GC Legend

Jan 8, 2019
    I mean that could be possible. Hadn't even though about that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    But does he have any idea the stress he's putting on me??!! :)

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    As we await the boatload of transfers from the portal headed to UF to be announced......

NCAA Softball Rules committee proposals -- whatcha think?
    *While not in possession of the ball, it is obstruction if the defensive player: Blocks any part of the leading edge of first, second and third base or home plate.
    Isn't the rule now that you just have to give the runner a lane? So this expands obstruction?

* Defensive players would not be called for obstruction ... if they are making a legitimate reaction to the trajectory of the ball after it is thrown.
    Good change, but this probably ends many of the video reviews. Except in extreme cases, "legitimate reaction" is a judgment call that really can't be made from Birmingham.

* Allowing the use of a double first base on the field.
    It's about time.

* Allowing one-way communication devices to be used during play.
    Bad. I like the "synchronized swim" where all the girls head's turn at the same time to the dugout, and look down at their wrist at the same time, then look up at the same time. :)

* Time between when the next pitch must be thrown would be reduced from 25 seconds (10/10/5) to 20 seconds.
    Good -- the NCAA is giving schools the option of installing a clock or letting the umpires keep time. Kinda hope it's the latter.

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. theemaxpower

theemaxpower Junior

Jun 9, 2023
    Milton, DE
    Here's a question for someone. Mia Williams. I know she had a bad injury and she's rehabbed it. She doesn't have any HS stats since 20-21. Has she been playing? Did she play for her HS in 23? Just curious about any recent stats or whatever. Can't find much on her except people saying she an amazing player.

15. buffy2222

buffy2222 Junior

Jul 9, 2022
    I didn’t realize he was so considerate.

16. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    It's definitely not considerate to these rabid fans but is to transfers and new coach.

17. grovegator83

grovegator83 Freshman

Apr 3, 2007
    She doesn’t play high school I believe. Don’t think she ever did. Just travel.

18. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    18u Hotshots National Nelson – Hotshots
    Don't think she's played high school ball the last 2 years. Focusing on conditioning and playing against national-level competition. On the same Hotshots team as Ava Brown, Ariel Kowalewski & Cassidy McLellan, all coming to Florida in a couple of months. If anyone knows anything different, please post it.

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  19. theemaxpower

theemaxpower Junior

Jun 9, 2023
    Milton, DE
    Not sure how your answer was off topic. Lol Yeah, I knew about the others you mentioned found lots of info and stats on them. Mia is kind of an enigma when trying to find recent info on her. Thanks for the reply. Thanks Grovegator83 for replying too.

20. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    She did before the injury, not the last 2 seasons

• Informative Informative x 2