Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Ongoing UF Softball Commentary

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by ocalaman, Feb 20, 2022.

1. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    Perhaps she'd like to step back and be a pitching coach? I think there might be a spot open.

Seriously, you make a good point. And since she's been paid over $1M per year for a while, she probably doesn't need the money.

2. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah, you nailed it. Target all year, anything less than perfection is failure, tough to enjoy that kind of season.....you survive it and feel relief. Credit to OU for building such a monster, but rarely are those type titles the "fun" years.

3. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Agree. Winning gets old, but it can get exhausting with all the unrealistic expectations. I know Nick Saban often looked pained with pressure during his lengthy run. I do admire what Gasso has done. Truly incredible.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Porschegator

Porschegator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 15, 2016
    Canton Ohio
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Well, that would be the perfect karma. Jen leaves for OU. Gasso becomes UF pitching coach. Not going to happen, of course. Jen is in line as Associate Head Coach to take over IF and when Gasso decides to hang it up. I am, however, reminded of the old adage: "Don't be the one to follow a legend. Be the one that follows the one that followed the legend."

7. theemaxpower

theemaxpower Junior

Jun 9, 2023
    Milton, DE
    Does anyone think Tim will maybe hire an Ex-Player? Ocasio? Gourley? I mean they both have to be better than Bosch.. What's everyone's thoughts or wishes to be the new pitching coach?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2023
  8. theemaxpower

theemaxpower Junior

Jun 9, 2023
    Milton, DE
    I think JT will be head coach after Patty leaves. Leaving Jen to still be pitching coach. The kid is a great young coach.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2023
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  9. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Gasso's oldest son is the hitting coach. I would think he would get the nod when she hangs it up.

10. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Sorry, I did not see your post before I posted.

11. theemaxpower

theemaxpower Junior

Jun 9, 2023
    Milton, DE
    Don't apologize. Great minds, ya know.

• Like Like x 1
  12. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Here are some interesting notes:
    Keagan Rothrock-Pitcher
    Enters Fall of 2023
    2022 Gatorade National Player of the Year
    2023 Indiana Gatorade Player of the Year
    Plays for 3rd straight State Championship tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

Ava Brown-Pitcher
    Enters Fall of 2023
    2023 Texas Gatorade Player of the Year
    2022 and 2023 Texas 5A State Champions
    Team lost 1 game in 2 years, and Ava did not pitch.
    [​IMG]

Katelynn Oxley-Pitcher
    Enters Fall of 2024
    2023 Florida Gatorade Player of the Year as a Junior-Bartow, FL
    2023 Florida 6A State Champions
    [​IMG]

The common theme here is champions. You can have all the skills in the world but not the grit or experience of winning championships.
    I like our future with a top-notch new pitching coach.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. emewill

emewill Freshman

Aug 8, 2022
    Here’s a really good discussion of what makes a good pitching coach and who are among the best now….
    Top 15 pitching coaches in college Softball - Robo coach
    You’ll want to go back to page 1 to start it, if interested.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Alyssa "Lou" Hovermale knows her room assignment:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. notexgator

notexgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    A ex pitcher player has reached out. I don't know if the interest is there as Tim may already have someone chosen. Rarely do you release a coach without an agreement in principal with a replacement ready to go.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Things that might deserve notice. Alyssa Hovermale is playing second base today for Mercado. I have never seen her play anything but third. Perhaps she has been asked to get used to playing second for just something that might happen down the road? She also blooped one to medium center her first ab that the second baseman for Warrior Academy made a nice backhand running stab to take away a hit. Edit: Ripped a rope down the left field line for a standup double in her 2nd ab.

• Informative Informative x 3
  18. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Batbusters are playing today. In their first game Taylor Shumaker hit third and played right field. She went 2-2 with one run scored and two rbis. A standup opposite field double down the left field line and a rope double to the right center fence driving in two. She also walked once. She has grown since last year. She has to be at least 6' tall, is beautiful and talented. Good speed - she stole third today. This kid still has another year of high school. Very impressive. She is going to turn a bunch of heads when she hits campus and she is going to put somebody on the bench.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Batbusters second game has started. Kai Minor is a '25 kid I guarantee we want but we are not alone. She slaps at time and punches at times but she absolutely flies. A perfect replacement for Kendra as Kendra would be a senior when this kid gets on campus. She hit a chopper in her first ab that was impossible to throw her out. Stole second by a mile. Catcher could have been given a second head start and wouldn't have come close. Blinding speed. But, that's not the total point of this post. Taylor Shumaker then followed with a chopper over the second base bag grabbed by the ss with no chance to get her. Taylor then stole second. Taylor then stole third. Taylor then scored on a short bloop single to left. If this big kid with power is slower than Kai Minor, it is only by a little step. I can't wait to get this kid on campus. (I shouldn't say this....but she reminds me of Skylar.)

• Like Like x 4
  20. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Get a good pitching coach. With the kids coming in this September and the kids already committed for the next class (and there are likely to be another one or two), let's get ready to really build something here. The future's so bright I've got to wear shades.

• Like Like x 2