Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Ongoing UF Softball Commentary

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by ocalaman, Feb 20, 2022.

1. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    There’s no real rule on how to define them in the program. The designation of “rs junior” or “rs senior” is generally just going to explain where they’re at academically. It doesn’t really define their eligibility right now.

2. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    Yep.

3. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    On another note, there is total silence as far as I can tell in Tuskyloosa. If Montana had an MRI yesterday, and if it was negative and she is day-to-day, wouldn't they have announced it? In other words, no news is not in this case good news. I am not a gambler but I assume you can bet on softball. You can pretty much bet on if the sun will rise in the east tomorrow. Shouldn't Bama softball be taken off the board until such time as Montana's status is known? With a healthy Montana they might get out of the regional. Without her it is questionable.

4. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    HIPAA laws prevent the university, coaches or anyone else revealing a medical diagnosis without the permission of the player and/or their parents. They would be in a lot of legal trouble if an announcement was made without the Fouts' permission.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    Yep, if she doesn’t want it to be public, it’s up to her. There’s way less people involved and also less people poking around for info so you won’t get as many leaks in the smaller sports as you get in some of the bigger sports either.

6. buffy2222

buffy2222 Junior

Jul 9, 2022
    It’s based on a percentage. She was injured during one of those ridiculously easy, run ruled tournaments, trying to steal. Stupid move when there was no reason to steal, especially when she was finally recuperating from the other ACL injury. This is my opinion, others may differ.

7. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    I am fully aware of HIPPA and also fully aware I have no intention of resuming the lengthy controversy we went through a couple weeks ago about disclosing injury status. The fact remains that in many situations, in both major and minor sports, injury information is disclosed. Sometimes specific. Sometimes vague but still discussed to some extent. Montana is a national name so I think the minor sport aspect irrelevant. And there are other issues at play....see the gambling one for instance. To some extent we will find out Friday, if not before, without any specific announcement. I just think the fallback claim of HIPPA is very suspect in this particular situation involving a player of Montana's stature.

8. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    There’s no obligation for anyone to tell you anything, especially when it comes to a player’s health. Sometimes it happens. Sometimes it doesn’t. You will probably know something at the next game whether the coach gives an explanation or not. Not many softball coaches are doing mid week press conferences. Not many members of the press are poking around softball coaches offices during the week digging for info either. No matter how big of a name you think Montana is.

9. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    "Obligation"...of course not. Something approaching standard practice for a big name...yes. Aaliyah Jordan at UCLA blew out a knee. Discussed. Bailey Dowling at Bama blew out a knee discussed. Hannah Adams with her wrist. Discussed. There are many, many, more examples. None bigger or more watched than Montana.

10. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    I would add that Montana's status not only is relevant to Bama and their current chances....let alone the side issues of betting or whatever. But it also is relevant to her status playing for USA National and (I assume) Athletes Unlimited. Montana is a national figure. Silence is not normal or expected.

11. paidinfull

Feb 22, 2017
    The people who need to know more than likely know. That’s all I can tell you. I don’t really care if she starts game one of the regionals or if her career is over, tbh.

12. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    In all of the situations you mentioned, the player and/or her parents had to have given consent. Otherwise, it would have been illegal for their medical specifics to be discussed. No university, coach or administrator is going to violate the HIPAA laws just to satisfy people's curiosity.

Last edited: May 16, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    I've got it figured out-if she doesn't play this weekend..........LOL.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. buffy2222

buffy2222 Junior

Jul 9, 2022
    Covid screwed everything up! It does get confusing, especially when the SEC had the one year sit-out rule. We have to go with the flow!

15. sweetpotato2

sweetpotato2 GC Legend

May 5, 2023
    Tennessee figured out you can't have an ace and 3-4 "Average" pitchers. Alabama hasn't. I have a hard time believing we will see "Fouts last ride" in OKC.

16. sweetpotato2

sweetpotato2 GC Legend

May 5, 2023
    I feel bad for Baylee. She's been injured basically her entire career. If I'm not mistaken didn't Baylee also have an injury before coming to Florida? I might be thinking about someone else though

17. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    I wish the Gators had 1 ace-all we have is 2-3 average pitchers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. sweetpotato2

sweetpotato2 GC Legend

May 5, 2023
    We all do. lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. buffy2222

buffy2222 Junior

Jul 9, 2022
    I don’t recall. But she was having a good freshman year and Covid hit. Sophomore up and down. Past two years injured. Hopefully that will be hind her next season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. sandman70

sandman70 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    My recollection of Baylee was a monster home run that cleared the roof of the left field pitching lab. Think she was the first to do so.