Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Ongoing UF Softball Commentary

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by ocalaman, Feb 20, 2022.

1. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I still don't see UF at FSU, that would be very surprising to me. Clemson makes sense, maybe Duke or Baylor all much more reasonable than Tally

2. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    While I tend to agree with you regarding who is on the "hot seat", different factors are in play with that list. Murph and Beth have earned a long leash for performance over an extended period. I agree it doesn't matter if their fans are unhappy currently. Who are they going to get with a legitimate hope things will be better? Plus, softball isn't football. Big booster money doesn't run away because the softball team has ups and downs. Actually, same goes for Walton although I have never intimated he is on a hot seat as I don't think he is or deserves to be. Trachsel and Anderson are a different situation coaching at places with a different level of expectation and where a truly elite replacement is likely not going to be knocking on their door. Traschel, btw, came in with a ton of baggage from Minnesota. There were very nasty rumors about her and the way she ran her program and several former players spoke out publicly with extreme criticism. And as soon as she got to Ole Miss there was a big scandal regarding her covering up sexual misconduct involving an assistant coach which, as far as I know, was swept under the rug. Which means if you want to have a long and not necessarily deserved leash....coach softball at Ole Miss.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Duke's freshman, Cassidy Curd, just no-hit Clemson. No walks. Two HBP. Curd, btw, is from Port St. Lucie. Just pointing that out.

• Like Like x 1
  4. gators4dawin

gators4dawin Recruit

Jun 21, 2022
    Ole Miss did a full formal investigation, finding all allegations to be false as well as the expulsion of two SA's who admitted falsifying the allegations as a retaliatory measure to being removed from the team.

5. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    I'm not really interested in pursuing this much farther since it is irrelevant to anything that concerns us but I question the "full formal investigation". Supposedly, the player that alleged the sexual coverup involving silence about it and Traschel's effort to bribe others with scholarship money, had confirming text messages of at least some of the allegations. Plus, at the same time at least two of her best players, fled the program. Related or not I do not know. But, again, Traschel and her program rank somewhere at the very bottom of my list of things important to me. I mentioned it only regarding the "hot seat" issue you brought up including her position at Ole Miss and how it seems to lead to a conclusion of a pretty long leash. I would not want a new head coach with the things that came out of Minnesota and the allegations, proven or not, at Ole Miss. Not a pretty sight.

6. gators4dawin

gators4dawin Recruit

Jun 21, 2022
    Ex
    And yet Down the rabbit hole we go. Lol
    Anyways, original response(prior to Ole Miss) was merely acknowledging fickle fan sensitivities based on feelings rather than facts across program social media platform sites in regards to the “Hot seat”

7. notexgator

notexgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Talk to our Recruiting Coordinator (BBF - Aric) about why we did not go after Cassidy after she was discussed on here many times.

8. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    It's amazing that, as of now, we have the daughter of Duke's head coach committed to Florida in the 2024 class. And she's the #5 rated player in the nation in that class.
    Perfect Game Softball

9. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    No clue. Can you provide an explanation? In her interviews today she seemed a lovely young lady. I know nothing else.

10. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    And for another Traschel comment, far removed from the previous spurious posts....in researching to refresh my memory of the prior events, I found an article that said in 2020 she signed for $245,000 and that her assistant budget was only $220,000. I don't know what she makes now if it has changed. I realize comparing her to Walton is apples and oranges but my understanding is that Walton is making, with possible incentives, somewhere in the neighborhood of $700,000. Does anyone know what Bosch and Thomas are making? (BTW...this is important....if we are going to get Monica, Cat or Beth for $500,000...lol).

Last edited: May 12, 2023
  11. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    This was published in the Tuscaloosa News May 8, 2023:
    Full list of SEC softball coaches 2023 compensation
    1. Trisha Ford, Texas A&M - $570,000₁
    2. Patrick Murphy, Alabama - $500,000
    3. Tim Walton, Florida - $460,855₂
    4. Courtney Deifel, Arkansas - $450,000₃
    5. Beth Torina, LSU - $430,000⁴
    6. Rachel Lawson, Kentucky - $405,000⁵
    7. Karen Weekly, Tennessee - $340,000
    8. Mickey Dean, Auburn - $300,000⁶
    9. Larissa Anderson, Missouri - $262,500
    10. Jamie Trachsel, Ole Miss - $255,000⁷
    11. Tony Baldwin, Georgia - $235,000⁸
    12. Beverly Smith, South Carolina - $206,465
    13. Samantha Ricketts, Mississippi State - $176,000
    1. Ford received a $50,000 signing bonus when she signed her contract. A $50,000 buyout payment to Arizona State is not included in this year's total.
    2. Walton received a $90,000 equipment supplement payment and a $4,000 academic incentive payment that are both included in his total. A $75,000 longevity bonus that he will earn if he is still the Florida coach on June 30, 2023, is not included.
    3. Deifel's total includes a $100,000 payment for other compensation for speaking engagements, TV/radio and other sponsorships.
    4. Torina received a $30,000 media participation payment from LSU. If she is still the coach on June 1, 2023, she will get a $50,000 longevity bonus that is not included in the total.
    5. Lawson's total includes a $5,000 media and endorsement payment and a $100,000 longevity payment on August 1, 2022, which is included in the contract year.
    6. Dean's total includes a $25,000 endorsement rights payment and a $25,000 personal appearances payment.
    7. Total is based on salary specified in state contract. Trachsel may be receiving additional compensation under contract with the Ole Miss Athletic Foundation, a private non-profit organization that declines to release such agreements.
    8. Based on total compensation amount provided by university, not an analysis of Baldwin’s contract
    Plus, these are incentive bonus possibilities for UF baseball and softball coaches:
    Here is how the bonus system works at UF with percentages based on their annual base salaries for the given year:

ALL COACHES

SEC Championship: 10 percent for all coaches

AAC Championship 5 percent for all coaches (lacrosse)

NCAA Championship: 30 percent for all coaches

BASEBALL AND SOFTBALL

Participate in Super Regional: 10 percent (Round of 16)

or advance to CWS: 15 percent

or participate in CWS Championship Game: 20 percent

or win CWS Championship Game: 30 percent

Not sure what Bosch & Thomas are paid.

• Informative Informative x 6
  12. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    lol....USC "might" be heading to the championship game. Still to be determined. I'll wager Bev Smith is safe for another year.

Last edited: May 12, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    Thanks. You are a fountain of information. Still really hard to figure out the final total even with these supposed incentives. I don't remember the figure, but one year Saban's salary at Bama was posted at something that would be hard to live on which, of course, was not remotely close to the truth when everything ....cars, houses, endorsements, etc,) were included. That said, how 'bout the assistants?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. rickjs1

rickjs1 Premium Member

Jan 6, 2023
    losing my mind....USC to the finals.

15. sweetpotato2

sweetpotato2 GC Legend

May 5, 2023
    So is South Carolina a top 16 seed?

16. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    No way no how.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    I haven't been able to find out anything about what Bosch & Thomas are being paid. I do remember that when Rocha left for Oklahoma, I read that she was being paid something like $250,000 and it was way more than she way making at UF.

18. Porschegator

Porschegator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 15, 2016
    Canton Ohio
    Great information. How do you find all this stuff?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. sweetpotato2

sweetpotato2 GC Legend

May 5, 2023
    SEC Tournament Postgame 5-12-23
    Post game interview with Tim, Skylar and Kendra.
    3 Things that stood out to me.
    1. Rylee and Elizabeth made some minor adjustments while Rylee added some pitches
    2. No mention of Lexi pitching. Not even in relief. I understand that she's struggled all year long.
    3. Towards the end of the interview.Tim basically saying the team coming out of a regional is to be determined.
    Personally, I know there are times in past seasons when I question if the team will go deep in the post season. But I don't think I can recall a time when Tim is seriously questioning if the team will make it out of regionals or not. ( At least that's the way I interpreted it)
    It's florida gators post game interview after the loss to Tennessee.

• Informative Informative x 2
  20. Porschegator

Porschegator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 15, 2016
    Canton Ohio
    Skylar has now gone from top 25 list of college softball player of the year to top 10. Next cut is to top three which I think she will make. Even though she might be best college softball player I think she has no chance to be number one unless by some total miracle Gator's get to WCWS. If that happened she would be a lock.

• Like Like x 2