Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Ongoing UF Baseball Commentary

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by ocalaman, Feb 20, 2022.

1. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    hmmm, I guess you’re not seeing the overall picture at third base… 158 in SEC play I believe and overall not fielding very well but I see no comments about that.

2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Have you watched the movie Moneyball or read the book Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game?

And understood it?

These guys are going by "eye test" and "we have so much experience".

I would not defer to what they say.

But stats need some perspective and be looked at at a more precise level.

For example fielding percentage as a metric is fubar. If you can't get to the ball you can't make an error. Ron Santo was a third baseman with the Cubs and garnered many Gold Gloves (five straight) but nobody would confuse him with Brooks Robinson.

In the NBA some players will not attempt a long range shot with time running out at the end of the first three quarters because it impacts their shooting percentage. WTF?

Stats out of context are misleading.

One has to use some of the eyeball test and some of the stats in proper context to get a true evaluation. Its like don't get all of your news from Fox news or MSNBC. Each has a bias.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Of course there have been comments....and ample discussion about Deric's struggles. As there should be. You seem to see what you want to see. Your ears go up like antenna at the hint of discussion re the struggles of certain players, others not so much. Perhaps it's you not seeing the overall picture.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Ears up on certain kids getting picked at. Reality is some are cut way more slack than others. There’s not been a lot of talk about his struggles from anyone other than me. I’m sure he’s going to be a very very good one but right now the game is moving much too quick for him and it’s costing us. Maybe you have seen people say things I have not. I have watched 2-3 guys get picked at way more than others.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Exactly...to you it's "picked at" when it's certain players, fair when it's others.

Welp, I tried....you go on being you.

6. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Gonna have to score 6-7 tonight at least. Giving them runs hopefully doesn’t come back to haunt us.

7. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    You tried but again, I will stand on the fact that Josh has been critiqued harder on this board than anybody else on the team by far and all he has done has been a very consistent hitter in the last two years. This year he has improved as a fielder. I read and comprehend what I see and I will stand on the fact that certain people get passes while others are critiqued pretty hard.

8. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Have to disagree with ur first sentence not that it really matters I think KC has been unfairly picked apart by far more folks.
    When we win, flaws are typically overlooked, but when we lose everything gets picked apart. .

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    That’s fine but not by me. KC has been pretty solid in my book.
    At some point we need to make a change at third and get Armstrong at bats.

10. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Meanwhile, UF baseball got walked off by Vandy in the opening game of their series. Hunter Barco was taken out after 2 innings and O'Sullivan said he hadn't been feeling well, wasn't himself and didn't want to take any chances. In those 2 innings he threw 50 pitches, gave up 2 runs on 4 hits (including a HR) and a walk with 4 K's. Nick Ficarrotta pitched 3.1 innings and gave up 2 runs (1 earned) on 3 hits, a walk and 4 K's. Philip Abner pitched to 1 batter and gave up a deep sacrifice fly. Ryan Slater threw an inning - no runs, 2 hits and 1 K. Blake Purnell came in to get the last out of the 7th inning, shut Vandy out in the 8th, but took the loss in the 9th. He gave up a single to lead off the bottom of the 9th. The runner stole 2nd, then advanced to 3rd as Josh Rivera threw high to 1st on a ground ball for an error. An intentional walk loaded the bases and the next batter hit the walk-off single. Jud Fabian go the Gators off to a good start with a 2-run HR in the top of the 1st after Colby Halter walked. When Barco left the game it was tied 2-2, but in the top of the 4th Kendrick Calilao doubled in Wyatt Langford, who had doubled to lead off the inning. They took a 4-2 in the 5th when Deric Fabian led off with a single, stole second and was driven home by Langford. Vanderbilt tied it 4-4 in the bottom of the 6th on a leadoff walk by Nic Fic, followed by a single. After a sac. bunt advanced the runners, Abner came in and surrendered the sac. fly. Slater relived and BT Riopelle was charged with a passed ball that allowed the tying run to score and it stayed 4-4 until the bottom of the 9th.Florida was outhit by Vandy 12-6 and also committed 2 costly errors. Jud & Langford had 2 hits each, Calilao and Deric had a hit each and everybody else had oh-fors. Thompson is struggling at the plate, as his average has dropped to .324, with Langford now the only regular-playing Gator hitting over .300 at .348. Brandon Sproat needs to have a strong outing Saturday, then need to tighten up defensively and the lineup simply has to hit better.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. dimondgator

dimondgator Freshman

May 17, 2021
    We have not won on a Friday in a long time.

12. dimondgator

dimondgator Freshman

May 17, 2021
    I am worried about Barco. For him to only go 2 tonight makes me worry if Sully knows something we don't.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. gator1977

gator1977 GC Legend

Apr 15, 2019
    The player that needs to sit is D Fabian- who at times seems out of his depth out there. Why does Armstrong not get his reps playing third - as in the lineup everyday? He has to be in Sully's doghouse for some unknown reason.
    Sully has his favorites and seems to stick with them no matter the outcomes. I remember when Langworthy started the year 1-20... Sully stayed with him and he eventually came out of it. Armstrong got off to slow start this year had a 4- hit game at Bama and then after 1-2 hitless games was back on the bench and has hardly seen action since except to PH in "hit a HR Kris" situation. A "set-up to fail" situation. Deric will be a solid player in future- but is not at the moment and he's hurting the team effort.
    On the up the middle veterans in the infield- I am disappointed that Rivera and Halter have not played to their potential and Thompson's slump is puzzling as he seems like he's guessing at the plate and doesn't need to because of his quick hands and reaction time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    By that logic you should also defer to the guy who's won 600 games who's filling out the lineup card.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    After last night's game, Rivera leads the Gators with 6 errors and a .951 fielding percentage. Halter & D. Fabian have 5 errors each, with Halter's fielding percentage at .966, Fabian's .921. The team is at .978. Rivera is hitting .274, Halter .284, Fabian .236. Last year the team's fielding percentage was .968 (last in the SEC, I think). Rivera was at .935 with 13 errors & Halter .931 with 11 errors. Halter hit .302 for the year, Rivera .253.
    Last year Thompson hit .301, Jud .249, Guscette .298, Armstrong .289, Calilao .274. This year Thompson is at .331, Jud .282, Guscette .263, Armstrong .232, Calilao .275.
    I'm drawing no conclusions. Just giving facts. Each can make up their own minds.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  16. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    The team was fielding .989 after a couple weeks. Not sustainable of course but I bring it up to illustrate that to now be at .978 means they have dropped a lot. Specifically, the team is fielding .967 in SEC play.

17. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Thanks for the breakdown.
    Gotta get ST and Halter going. I’m not perfect on this number but I would bet alter is down 30 to 40 points from three or four weeks ago.

Shortstops will always lead the team in errors.
    saw where shortstop for FGCU made 4 errors in a game last night.

Errors are subjective. I saw two balls last night that should have been outs in which plays were not made. Both were scored hits. Both were errors 10 out of 10 times. One for us and one for them. Official scorers have to be considered.

18. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    I feel very good that we can take 2/3 this weekend. Hopefully we see an aggressive team tonight that gets after it from the start.

19. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Stats speaking for themselves again.

• Funny Funny x 3
  20. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Kris Armstrong for Guscette at DH is the only change in the starting lineup tonight.