Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Omar Payne, Darris, Locke and others. . .

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Nov 9, 2021.

1. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    To me it is all about why did they transfer. AN seems to have found a better fit to finish his college career and that is fine. I don't think his game has much in common with the current version of the NBA.

Payne seems to have never really listened to the coaches on what is holding him back. Methinks he is still not listening.

2. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    As to the “why”...

AN was truly a mutual parting... it just never meshed, and Florida wanted to hand the reigns to Tre.

Locke wanted to play pg and be the primary scoring option.

Omar wanted assurance he would start.

Quez knew he would have greater opportunity elsewhere.

Scottie didn’t transfer, but his departure was also mutually embraced, with the thought that he needed the humility and mindset that comes with fighting for an nba spot.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Interesting that AN was constantly looking to go pro his first two years. Taking time away for NBA scout evaluation, taking time away to play with Canadian National team, and never putting in the time bonding and practicing with his UF team. Now he has spent 2 years at Gonzaga and seems to have matured.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Late to the conversation but whatever shooting percentages aside and for all his reputation as a shooter, Locke never seemed to hit the open shot at key points in a game. It was o e of the more frustrating aspects of our game last year. We could be on the cusp of stretching a lead or closing a gap and we could rarely hit an open 3, many times Locke being the shooter.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. sHiNeR2

sHiNeR2 All American

Apr 3, 2007
    i think he's benefited from having more talented players around him, as well as a better coach (fyi, im one of the mike white supporters, but just being honest).

it just was a better situation for him and his style of game. really happy for the kid. seems like a good person with a solid family background.

6. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    AN is a pure pass-first PG but with decent shooting %’s. That should work in any system really. Seemed like a perfect Billy D PG, kind of similar in body type and style to Nick Calathes. Under White, it always felt like he played slow here for whatever reason where he would excel more if fast break tempo were pushed more. Maybe playing in a faster system is good for him, but his individual stats were actually DOWN slightly last year and he seems to be off to a somewhat quiet start this year too. Albeit obviously on a higher ranked team than we have been lately.

7. sHiNeR2

sHiNeR2 All American

Apr 3, 2007
    sheer numbers were down, but his offensive efficiency made significant jumps. from his field goal percentage to his assist-to-turnover ratio.

8. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    updating this . . . Darris got beat by 22 versus Virginia, but played even in the second half. Radford plays va-tech tomorrow.

Mincey is 2-0 after beating North Carolina A&T. Osifo had 6pts/7rebs in the game.

Samford beat Spring Hill. Glover has 12 points, but a tough game . . . 3-11 shooting and 4 turnovers.

Omar got the start in a win for illinois, but inexplicably fouled out in 6 minutes. That has to be a record. He did have 5 points in those 6 minutes.

Noah Locke was high scorer in an upset loss to furman. He seems to be a huge piece of the offense . . . taking 19 shots! He isnt a pg, though . . . 3 turnover, 0 assists.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. tim

tim Premium Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Ocala, FL

Sounds like they got what they wanted. Omar started but was still Omar. Locke is the centerpiece of the offense but you lost and aren’t showing any PG ability.

Still wish Omar had a different attitude and stayed. Could be something if he doesn’t get in his own way.

10. 33hoop

33hoop GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    I think Payne transferring was addition by subtraction. Doubt he will ever develop into a capable offensive threat.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. g8tr80

g8tr80 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I think all those guys are exactly where they need to be….not here.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Glover scored 24 points last night against a good San Francisco team. Payne looked pretty good last night against Marquette. He is finally starting to develop. He would have been the backup center for us. Nembhard looked tremendous against Texas. I expect him to play in the NBA next year. These guys are all better off for having transferred.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. russ21

russ21 Premium Member

Dec 25, 2013
    I think Payne is the only one who maybe should’ve stuck around. 15 minutes & 5 ppg to start the year at Illinois is comparable to what he got here and set to drop, possibly sharply, with Cockburn returning from suspension. Although I also thought White could’ve had his back a little more after the elbow on Fulkerson and he was blindsided by Cockburn’s late decision to return

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. gatorstevelp

gatorstevelp Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Payne’s elbow on Fullerton was not his first dirty play.

15. russ21

russ21 Premium Member

Dec 25, 2013
    I still personally think that publicly you back your guy up and, if not suspended, let him play in the next game. Give him an ass chewing and punishment behind closed doors

• Like Like x 2
  16. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    Imagine the Michigan, Penn State, Virginia Tech, etc. boards' threads tracking the guys that transferred here!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    it was the right move for all three. I guess you could argue Payne maybe should’ve stayed, but he would’ve been fighting for scraps, behind CC.
    So far, the transfers out and the transfers in ... have worked out pretty well for all parties, wouldn’t ya say?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Samford, led by Ques Glover’s 16 points and 9 assists, upset Oregon State last night. Ques appears to be emerging as Samford’s best player. He had 24 points in the previous game against unbeaten San Francisco.

• Like Like x 6
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  19. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    That's legit wonderful news. I haven't agreed with your take on him and the others vis a vis CMW. But I kind of like the kid and hope he becomes one of those college basketball jewels, and you get some measure of validation on your points.

20. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Thanks for the update.

I say this knowing nothing of samford’s roster, but I would be surprised if Glover wasn’t their best player... at least offensively.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1