Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

OK school boss announces all teachers will have a Bible & teach from it

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by ursidman, Jun 27, 2024.

1. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I haven't read every post, and someone may have made the point: the superintendent's action is a stunt meant as a provocation. In a diverse and multicultural nation of over 350,000,000 citizens, there can be no other reason for commanding that only one religion be taught in public schools. It's shameful, but it's indicative of the narrow-minded and intolerant Christian nationalists. They must be opposed and called out at every turn.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2024
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I have a feeling we ain't seen nothing yet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    So turn them into Christian national madrassas? How about Muslim madrassas? No longer believe in separation of church and state?

4. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    That isn't what is being proposed. All Christian, all the time. Get in line or be excluded

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Well if that’s what’s being proposed I’m firmly against that.

Even though I identify as Christian the separation of church and state is one of the most important tenants of our constitution. Regardless of the idea that the US was founded on Christian principles we are not and should never become a Theocracy…

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    I guess these kids could use some spiritual inspiration and maybe some grounding. The faiths are probably close to the same.
    I’d be ok with Old Testament, mixed with basics of other faith that you mentioned. Im not trying to be wacko here , just maybe some grounding fundamentals.
    If we can maybe install truthfulness, integrity c, respect for others etc.. That wouldn’t be a terrible thing . Would it. Might help but we are so far the other way I doubt we could make a dent

7. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    I agree fundamentally with you. But these kids could use some help in other areas

• Like Like x 1
  8. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    I believe that all religions teach basic values of decency and doing the right thing . I’d be fine with a conglomerate curriculum or insertion in basic curriculum.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    One problem I see: who would be qualified to teach the Bible ?

10. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    But that isn't what is being implemented. This is straight up Christian teachings only.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I think... it's possible that some teacher's hands will instantly be set ablaze if they touch a Bible. That will be interesting for the students to see. :D;)

How many devil worshiper teachers will move away from Oklahoma now? Lol.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2024
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    About 25 or so years ago, our local high school held an open meeting for parents to discuss what we wanted taught in the school. We sat around tables of 8 to 10 people each.

After most of the people around my table mentioned stem subjects with a few people standing up for liberal arts, I mentioned ethics. I was immediately shot down by people who feared that was really a secret way to get in religion and cried separation of church and state.

A few months later the Columbine massacre happened.

13. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Sad thing is we all can agree that with a few exceptions (based on beliefs), the 10 commandments are a good way to live one’s life.
    Leave out 1-3 and who can argue with those tenets?

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Thing is, ethics are taught all day every day in schools. In an elementary school children learn ethics like sharing, being respectful, and taking turns, etc. In secondary schools students are taught not to bully, how to respect individual differences, and how to support their peers.

So I agree with you that ethics should be taught and encouraged. "Teaching" ethics occurs in just about every class, not to mention in the hallways, the cafeteria, and at the bus loop. Should it be a class? That's a good question. I'd argue that students learn ethics in classes like music, drama, chemistry (lab), government, and in assemblies.

• Like Like x 4
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  15. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    #4 Remember the sabbath day to keep it holy? How is that important in any way whatsoever from a standpoint of morality?

But hey 60% ain’t bad!

Only one rule is needed. The ethic of reciprocity. The golden rule. Treat others as you would want to be treated. That’s it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    Forgot that one, however many are pushing for a 4 day work week so ya get 3 sabbath days.

The golden rule just happens to be the second commandment of Jesus.

17. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    More like two honey-do days & (maybe) one day to rest. :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    The golden rule just happens to transcend most religions on earth and pre-dates Christ by thousands of years. If they wanted to hang that on the wall I’d be fine with it.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. gatorjo

gatorjo GC Hall of Fame

Feb 24, 2024
    LOL. The Columbine massacre would have been most easily prevented with rational gun legislation. That was an 18 year-old buying multiple weapons for younger HS friends unable to purchase them. That *may* never have happened if rational gun laws existed; a class on gun safety may have scared/educated that young lady out of making said purchase. Or possibly limiting what she could buy in a certain time frame.

In any case, it's interesting that; you probably regularly cast votes for the people who ensure that this gun violence continues......but then you want the schools to do the job of the parents by teaching the things that would prevent this.

• Like Like x 1
  20. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    To be clear, when Jesus was asked what is the greatest commandment of the law, it is recorded in Matthew 22 he replied it was to love God with all your, heart, soul, and mind. And the second is like it. To love your neighbor as yourself. Which is essentially another iteration of the Golden Rule. Matthew 22:36-40.

Mark 12:28 - 34 (KJV) has it worded differently.
    28 And one of the scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, and perceiving that he had answered them well, asked him, Which is first commandment of all?

29 And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments (with no mention of the law) is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:

30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.

31 And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

32 And the scribe said unto him, Well, Master, thou hast said the truth: for there is one God; and there is none other but he:

33 And to love him with all the heart, and with all the understanding, and with all the soul, and with all the strength, and to love his neighbor as himself, is more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices.

Both of the replies referenced above reflect passages found in Deuteronomy and Numbers.

Whether the word used is 'greatest' or 'first' it seems clear Jesus regarded it as the pre-eminent commandment.