Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Ohio cop shoots and kills golden retriever after she ran towards him

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by orangeblue_coop, Jul 12, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016

[​IMG]
    A golden retriever was shot dead by a police officer in Ohio and dramatic bodycam footage caught the controversial moment - as cries for the cop's firing from the bereaved family grow.

The July 2 footage showed Lorain police officer Elliott Palmer shooting three-and-a-half-year-old Dixie and then leaving the dog dying on the sidewalk. The dog ran up to the responding officer at the scene, and while it did not appear aggressive, it was coming towards Palmer when he opened fire. That sparked outrage from people who witnessed the killing and now family and social-media observers are calling for the officer's job.

'After she was shot one time in the street, he should have just let it go and let us get the dog and take her where she needed to be treated,' the dog's owner, Tammie Kerns, said to 3News, in tears. 'But he didn't do that. She was crawling — useless, helpless — in the street. He continued shooting her. She was trying to come to safety, and he just kept shooting her three more times after the first time,' she added.

Shocking moment Ohio cop shoots dead golden retriever running towards him | Daily Mail Online

Poor dog sat there stunned in its final moments, wondering why the lunatic cop shot her. Let's see how the Blue Lives Matter, dog-loving contingent feels about this.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  2. dave_the_thinker

dave_the_thinker VIP Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Milton, FL
    Geez, could have let her off with a standard neck knee.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. AndyGator

AndyGator VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    What a total moron. That is flat out animal abuse.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    That’s more likely to get him fired than killing a black person.

#merica

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    A Golden Retriever??!!!

what a wuss.

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  6. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    That cop was seconds away from being licked and rubbed up against by a tail wagging dog. He’s a moron and could have shot a person in his panic.

My dog is never out front off a leash, fence in your backyard. Irresponsible owner, but the cop is totally out of line there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    He'd never make it at a tough job like UPS or being a meter reader.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2023
    • Like Like x 5
  8. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I’m not saying the dog should have been shot, but one thing I’ve learned over the years is you don’t play with unleashed dogs in neighborhoods where people park their cars on their front lawns. And that does not look like a Golden Retriever to me. Would love to hear audio from the beginning of that clip. Was the owner communicating with the police officer about the dog? Was the dog sounding aggressive? As a dog owner, there has to be personal accountability involved as well about how people might react to your dog running at them (never mind applicable laws).

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Like Like x 2
  9. ValdostaGatorFan

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    Lorain Police Department deactivated its social media accounts, considers app to engage residents | Chronicle Telegram

The Lorain Police Department’s Facebook and Instagram pages have been temporarily deactivated.

He said one of the department's posts was about taking children fishing, and the comment writers brought up an incident in February when officers attempted to stop a group of teens for jaywalking on West 27th Street, resulting in a complaint from one of the teen’s parents, Morris said.

In his email to City Council on May 31, and shared with The Chronicle-Telegram, McCann said officers had been reading comments and “are becoming demoralized and the lack of open support from Council members and the residents of Lorain, who are not the ones flooding our social (media) with slurs and derogatory statements. All the derogatory comments are from outsiders who know nothing about our issues in Lorain,” he wrote.

“Our cops are aggressive and they look for criminals before they can victimize our residents,” he wrote.

-------------------------------

Waaaaa! The public said mean stuff and we just can't take it. We should be able to do what we want, like offing pets, without the public having a say. Waaaa.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Gator515151

Gator515151 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 4, 2007
    I am as big a dog lover as anybody but I would want to see the whole video and hear the whole story before making a decision here. There were multiple dogs off leash, we don't know much about what happened in the edited video. What was the officer called for? Too many unanswered questions.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    I love how he immediately calls for backup. He knew he f’ed up. Those people were ready to crucify him.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. orangeblue_coop

Nov 19, 2016
    They always manage to make themselves out to be the victims. Anyway, this is the type of cop you don’t want around when real shit goes down. If that idiot was shook enough of a dog to start carelessly shooting, it’s only a matter of time before he starts carelessly shooting at people with his scared ass.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. ValdostaGatorFan

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    I saw the video about this yesterday. I figured they had removed the ability to comment on their FB page, but when I went looking for it, I couldn't find it. That's when I found they had deactivated it. I did see there was a petition to fire that officer which already had a ton of signatures. The officer has been named and his address has been posted online.

Also, that puss fired at that dog 7 times. If you go to about a 1:10 in this video, you can hear it:

I hate to be "that guy," but I would have lost my shit had that have been my dog. Dogs are a gift.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Every cop becomes that American Sniper guy whenever a dog is around

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Thanks for the daily dose of racist rhetoric. At least you're consistent.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Although he seems to be really obsessed with the rating, a note to @Orange_and_Bluke, logically the original post in a thread cannot be "off-topic" since the OP defined the topic. By the way feel free to rate this post "off-topic" since it actually meets the definition.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 4
  17. ValdostaGatorFan

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    What's edited?

18. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    For folks who want more government, police are government.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  19. orangeblue_coop

Nov 19, 2016
    Typical behavior from that contingent

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. orangeblue_coop

Nov 19, 2016
    Harsh truth

• Agree Agree x 5