Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Oh My....Judge suspends all transfer rules

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ApexNC, Dec 13, 2023.

1. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Watch out, that’ll be the next thing the court rules on, unlimited rosters

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    That would be the third choice, for sure.

3. TrueGator

Nov 11, 2014
    I would actually take that a step further and say that fans might be an equally important part of the game as the players. Without fans, players don't touch the field. Without players, there is no entertainment for fans to see. Even during COVID, a significant portion of season ticket money and booster donations stayed invested in the program and kept the machine rolling.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    Oh, now you're starting to hate it. Could have told you this a year ago. Tighten your chinstraps because it's only going to get worse from here.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    IDK. I used to think this but I think the 12-team playoff will bail it out as there may be enough TV money from that to overcome the loss of booster money. But I do see the boosters bailing out eventually both willfully and due to old age. I'm sure most if not all of the big hitters are boomers. They're on the way out and I'm not sure their millennial kids are going to be as willing to give money or give in the sums they did.

But I suspect this playoff is going to be a big money maker.

6. wyldcrocodyl

wyldcrocodyl Sophomore

Nov 29, 2014
    When the boosters bail (and CFB had no plans for a post Boomer world anyway), I think the sport will cannibalize itself by allowing the athletic program to pay the players, but I do not think that fan interest will sustain that model, either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    I just think they'll trade fans like us for jocksniffers and TV deals. . . just like the NFL. You can already see this with the Deion dynamic at Colorado.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Easier to say than do. Kinda like an addicted smoker saying he hates cigarettes, and telling him ‘then stop smoking’

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015

Ships are limited to 85 per year. If you have enough NIL money who cares if you’re not on a ship. I envision teams with money having well over 100 players on their team. Players they want and players they don’t want another team to have. Bear Bryant did that with ships before there were limits.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

True. It’s how I recently started watching the MFL again as I steadily drift away from college ball - watching the game purely for entertainment and not really giving a damn who wins.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Total roster spots are 105. And no player that is worth big NIL will pay there own way through college. It just won't happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    Two, why not three or four?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Unless schools drop academic eligibility all together than no.

14. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Unless Sante Fe college begins to field a team....lots of UF students also are enrolled there to take classes. Maybe they could play on both teams at the same time!

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Clearwater, FL
    This is EXACTLY how I feel. When I was a kid, I liked the NFL. I really didn't start watching much college football until I went to UF.

It wasn't long after that, with all the player salaries and egos in the 80s, that I pretty much stopped watching the NFL. I was turned off by the NFL because players were constantly changing teams and getting paid without performance and there was so much turnover. It was just hard to really get invested with a team. To this day, I really don't have a favorite NFL team.

I liked college football because kids signed with a school and usually played their entire college career on that team. They may only be a major contributor for a season or 2, but I always enjoyed being able to watch a depth chart year to year and see these players develop in the program. Players almost always played in a bowl game, even a bad one. Coaches usually stayed with a team for 4-6 years. It was just fun to see a team develop. I was always totally invested in the Gators, but I enjoyed college in general.

Now it seems it's just a free-for-all cluster f%&k. Kids opt out of bowl games. Your team can be totally decimated overnight by key players leaving for the portal. Player, in my opinion, may never really play in a system for more than a year because they transfer or coaching changes. I don't feel like the players play together long enough to even learn how to be a team. Everyone is looking out for themselves and it doesn't look like the players really enjoy it like they used to.

I've gotten to the point now where I'm probably back to following the NFL on the same level as college football. But I'll always support the Gators.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  16. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Without fans, there are zero dollars and no football at all.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Yep - you pretty much nailed it.

We moved to Ft. Lauderdale when I was 13. I became a Dolphin fan. Obviously they were a great team to be a fan of back in those days. Like you, I didn’t really start following college ball until I went to college — UF.

When Shula retired I slowly drifted away from the Dolphins and as I moved around I never attached myself to another pro team. I was still a casual fan of the sport — until they totally lost me when they started turning football games into stages on which to make political statements. But I always remained a big fan of college ball, until about a year or two ago.

Interesting that I now find it easier, and often more enjoyable to watch NFL games than college games. For me, college ball has become more about hating teams than liking them. I find myself with more negative vibes than positive ones. As Bill Engvall would say, “ there’s your sign”.

I have absolutely no dog in the NFL fight. I can watch two teams go at it and enjoy watching sport without being clouded by personal feelings. I can watch the refs do their thing and shake my head without getting pissed. Because none of it really means much to me. Will I pull for the Jags or the Dolphins? Sure, but I don’t lose sleep if things don’t work out as I wanted.

In short, I became too emotionally involved in college football. And in the past 2 years they’ve made it easy to walk away.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. TrueGator

Nov 11, 2014
    For me, I literally can't watch a game unless I care who wins, or at least, who loses. That's where the college football passion has always come from for me. And, yes, I was also a Dolphins fan as a small child back in their hey-day. But, I kind of drifted away from the NFL when I arrived at UF. And, now, with all the social rot in the NFL, all I care about there now is how former Gators do. But, I will admit that the semi-pro free agency situation in college football today is definitely siphoning some of the passion away.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015

NIL will pay the way for those that are needed for depth and to max out the teams. There are only so many 5 star players. I see the 105 limit be eliminated. Actually see the NCAA eventually eliminated for the big schools.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    I don't see any player of quality((even depth players) willing to use their NIL money to pay their own way. What's the point. Someone will give them both. A schollie and NIL.

Not everyone is getting big money. Most guys on the team are only getting 5-10,000 a semester and that is not paying for school and giving them spending cash.

• Agree Agree x 2