Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

OGT-Florida vs. Texas A&M Amalie Arena | Tampa, Fla. SEC Tourna

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by GatorGrowl, Mar 9, 2022.

1. GATORJV

GATORJV GC Legend

Oct 10, 2014
    You should take a 27% three point shooter taking that shot while being guarded perfectly. That's the second best outcome you could ask for. The first is a turnover.

One of their worst three point shooters taking a shot guarded in position by a player with a long wing span in his face when tied with a second on the clock? I'd take that over and over again. He happened to hit it. You tip your hat to that one.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Respectfully disagree. I think this team needed more toughness thrown their way to get them ready for the grind of SEC ball. As it stands, we faced two top 100 RPI teams in the pre-SEC schedule. Ohio State (#42, close win), and Oklahoma (#70, somewhat close loss). This team was in no way prepared for SEC play by their pre-conference schedule.

I would also add that playing a light schedule leads to false hope and unrealistic expectations. Much better to have a hardened team that is ready to do battle, just my opinion, of course.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. garygator27

garygator27 All American

Mar 28, 2017
    Keep thinking about Florida’s last possession compared to TAMs. Florida ran ball screen but Fleming didn’t even attempt to get downhill. Then Reeves ghosted a screen and Fleming didn’t even look at him. Then his defender gave him a bit of space and he chucked up an awful shot. It was like he wanted to be the hero no matter what. He was going to shoot that long three. The better options in a tie game would have been getting it into the paint, or using his mid range jumper, or if you have to shoot a 3, make it be Reeves off some penetration/kick out action. We got the worst shot imaginable.

TAM on the other hand got the exact shot their coach drew up. The players said so in their interview after the game. It was a difficult shot, but it was the one they wanted.

I think hero ball hurt Florida a lot this season, and it seemed to hurt them on that play as well.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Agreed. In the era of advanced metrics, as long as you stay above the minimum threshold, teams are rewarded now properly for a tough schedule. We didn't play one this year (we can say that we were a little unlucky, but we certainly weren't scheduling teams that we could have counted on being Top 20 type teams with the possible exception of FSU, who we play every year).

5. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I feel sorry for the players. They played with a lot of grit the last ten minutes of regulation and almost pulled it off.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    The progression was a bit baffling. We were rolling until we ran into Oklahoma. Then every team back-door cut us to death (see mighty TX southern). Castleton went down and the season appeared to be over, but they rallied and the guards improved significantly. Today, the guards (I'm referring to two in particular) were awful. It was a really nice group of kids who played with tremendous heart, but who lacked offensive skill and muscle. Where was our PF today? Or really where was he most of the season? I'm ready for the next group of players and hope that Jitoboh, Lane, & Reeves are part of it.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Gatorhead5

Gatorhead5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    It definitely won't be. At FSU and BXII, Oklahoma at home, PK80 game(s) in Portland, probably UNC & Michigan in Charlotte (since we already play Oklahoma), probably OB Classic, and then 3-4 "buy" games.

8. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    it happens every year. Other teams adjust to us, and we have nothing to respond with.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. phideltdj

phideltdj GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    I agree...if you are going to call taunting a technical it shouldn't matter how much time is left on the clock. Either taunting is a technical foul or it isn't and you aren't going to get a more obvious taunt than that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    Our players were not giving effort and were getting called out for it by the announcers for much of the first half. How many times did you hear "one gray shirt and multiple blue shirts and the gray shirt just wanted it more?" Fantastic effort down the stretch, but it was definitely lacking early.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    We’ve played hero ball for 7 years. Kevaughn Allen may have just chucked up another contested three five seconds into the shot clock.
    There’s never been repercussions from the bench, so why stop?

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Honestly, I haven’t been on the MW bandwagon for years, but also recognize he is a good man, so I take no pleasure in hoping this comes to pass for everyone. He isn’t the answer here.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. bigDgator

bigDgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I may be late to the party, but why isn't Felder playing?

14. GatorKP

GatorKP All American

Jul 30, 2011
    It’s easy to blame the refs for the changed call. But our guy clearly made contact and that is a foul. Yes, the refs should have called it a foul first and not had a change of mind. But to be fair, if their guy does that to us and it’s not called a foul, we’d all have a fit. I think it was the right call.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. HeyItsMe

HeyItsMe GC Hall of Fame

Mar 7, 2009
    Ole Miss? Lol, good luck.

16. GatorTodd

GatorTodd GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    injured or sick

17. wa_gatorfan

wa_gatorfan Senior

Oct 3, 2019
    I feel like this hits close to home. It seemed like guys got more interested in getting theirs as the season progressed, and when those guys had success hitting tough shots, the Gators thrived; conversely, when they didnt ......

18. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee Moderator VIP Member

Sep 15, 2007
    What you started with is technically true but there was a LOT of contact made by TAMU players pushing and shoving Castleton and reaching and slapping the arms of our ball handlers to create turnovers . . . and I don't recall any of that being "reviewed" and called after the fact even though it would've been the right call in each one of those instances. When the only such call came like it did then all Gator fans are rightfully howling about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Gatorhead5

Gatorhead5 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Meh White is a perfect fit for Ole Mehss.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

Well, that was something.
    What a perfect metaphor for the season.
    The oddest combination of gritty play, dumb play, toughness, lethargic play, timely shots, lousy shots.
    I have pulled for this group all year. They are a blast to watch when they are dug in, but.... when it is ugly it is painful to watch.
    Good luck to all these guys in the future. Good luck to MW whether here or not. I think not.... so best wishes unless he is playing against the Gators!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1