Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(SB) OGT-Florida vs Missouri 3/17/2023 6:00 pm Game 2 SEC+

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by GatorGrowl, Mar 16, 2023.

1. MCB51

MCB51 Moderator

Nov 23, 2015
    FL
    Whew..pulled that out

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    The way Delbrey was hammered today I would go with Elizabeth.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    I'm going to temper my expectations for this team with the inconsistent pitching and batting. I have a feeling the Gators are going to see a lot of rise balls.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Just wondering why she got pulled early today. I suspect we see pitching by committee on Sunday, unless the starter can be a whole lote more effective than anyone was today.
    Need the bats to be a lot more clutch as well. Timely hitting is an issue. 3 of our 4 runs in this game were unearned/gifted.

5. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    I would like to hear from our posters who were at the games today.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    You mean me? lol :)

I think the Gigante four-hole experiment is over. Or should be.

People have commented how Delbrey has fewer walks and wild pitches this year. My guess in that thread was that as a new thing, she is trying to pitch to contact more. That worked well with teams that couldn't really hit but today she faced a team that can hit. Even many of her outs were long balls. It was Bender time pretty early in the first game.

One positive takeaway is the damage we did with two outs. I think most of our runs were scored with two outs. Even if we didn't score, there were rallies with two outs and we kept the line moving.

Likewise, it seemed like most of our hits -- especially the clutch hits -- were with two strikes.

We got passed Missouri today because after the first four batters, their batting average is much much lower. If an inning started with the top of their order and no outs, it was trouble. Once we got into the lower part of their order, we could get consecutive outs. But that worries me for when we play teams that don't have a "easy out" group.

OTOH, this year it seems like we have fewer "easy outs" on our team than in years past. It's been interesting to watch CTW platoon certain positions (RF, catcher, and a few others to a lesser extent) to try to create chemistry in the lineup.

Kendra Falby is a joy to watch. She induces errors on the opposing team and, even if not scored as an error, induces bumbles because teams know that they have very little time before she is crossing first base. That said, she seems to be struggling a bit at the plate in the last few games.

Skyler Wallace is a beast. Of all the players on the team, she is the one I would least like to meet in a dark alley for a fight. I might be stronger than she is (probably not), but she is so determined and gritty, I'm sure she would kick my a$$, no problem. Truly the heart of the team.

Baylee Goddard is introduced each game, but is not in uniform and I haven't seen her. Surprised that she isn't at the games in the dugout supporting the team. But maybe that's not something injured players do in softball. Dunno.

Long post .... but you asked!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    In reference to Delbrey, the HRs she gave up were right down the middle. We do not have a shutdown pitcher and beating good teams will be difficult. The Gators have problems with the rise ball and will be seeing a lot now that other teams see that. Keep in mind Mizzou did not score a run against UK and they hammered Delbrey.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. johnny_cakes

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    Agreed. Last year, she nibbled the edges...and often missed badly, getting the dirt in front of home plate, the backstop with wild pitches, the batter's elbow, etc. It was ugly but somehow she sort of got the job done, more or less. Seems like this year, she's being told to just throw mostly strikes and don't worry about being fancy. As you say, the HR were right down the middle, as were most of the many balls hit to the warning track.

I'd put change-up in the same category as rise ball.

But I'm still optimistic about this team. Last year we had some early struggles with good teams and many were saying "the sky is falling." We righted the ship and ended up in the WCWS. I expect no less -- and much more -- of this team.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Porschegator

Porschegator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 15, 2016
    Canton Ohio
    I don't understand why Sam Roe isn't playing all the time. She is batting around 350 and only 3 k's in 51 at bats.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I tend to agree, but she had slumped just a bit of late. Also she doesn't have a home defensively right now, and they seemed to have decided they needed the power option with Gigante. Hoping they back off the Gigante project a little

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    I was there, but I can't add much more than has been said. Gigante was certainly exposed yesterday. Roe, in my opinion, should be moved back to DP.
    Pal for Pollard looked like a good swap, but Pal got somewhat exposed. Pollard did get a single on a redo for an illegal pitch. She is the better fielder than Pal, but they seek power.
    The quandary at catcher is real. Em is the best defensive catcher and takes charge behind the plate. She started hitting a few games ago but has gone deathly quiet.
    Sarah did get an RBI single yesterday in the first game. But her average has plummeted in the last couple of weeks. Sarah is in danger of falling below the Sipos line. She is a decent catcher but does not catch balls cleanly too often.
    Sam is a decent defensive catcher, but her throw to second is too slow as she has to stand up.
    Those are my for what it is worths. I would be interested in yours.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. buffy2222

buffy2222 Junior

Jul 9, 2022
    Baylee Goddard was mentioned in an earlier post regarding her absence in the dugout. Maybe she is recovering from surgery.

13. johnny_cakes

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    That made me laugh!

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. GatorsOTK

GatorsOTK Senior

Jan 19, 2012
    I’d like to see Gigante get another 15 or so regularly schedule ABs, be it in the 4 while or not before I say she needs to be out of the regular lineup. Let’s give her time to adjust, because her power potential is worth it. I’d like to see Pollard in the lineup because she provides good defense and solid power. I’d like to see Egan in the lineup because she brings power and brings some energy and enthusiasm to the game. Problem is there are only so many spots. I like Avery and Kistler, but they don’t provide any pop with the bat. I wouldn’t hate them getting the occasional day off to get others in the lineup. I also kind of want to insert Walsh into RF and Pollard at 2nd for the next 4 years. I don’t envy Coach Walton.

• Agree Agree x 1