Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

OGT-Florida vs. Georgia 1/27/2024 12:00

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by GatorGrowl, Jan 26, 2024.

1. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    And she wasn't Beth Mowins!

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. bigDgator

bigDgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't understand why he isn't doing it. He has the players. If he had been doing this all season the bench players would be much more seasoned by now.
    His mentor Bruce Pearl doesn't play any of his players into the ground so they can bring their A game any time they are in.
    Player - Avg minutes
    Broome - 23
    Williams - 23
    Holloway - 22
    Baker-Mazara - 20
    Jones - 20
    Johnson, KD - 18
    Donaldson - 18
    Cardwell - 15
    Johnson, C - 15
    Moore - 15

You not only want them fresh at the end of games, but also at the end of the season.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. GatorMcCluskey

GatorMcCluskey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't know the answer to that, but I really don't care, murph. I know what I saw while he was here and that was a coach who continually failed to maximize his talent and whose performance continually declined as we got further and further into his tenure and away from Donovan's influence on the program.

I'm not trying to be a jerk to you, I know you like the guy. Maybe I'll feel more charitable towards him a few years down the road when he's coaching for somebody else, but not now.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    I know you are being sarcastic about ZP.. please say yes

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    No. We need him to lead to have a chance at the tourney.

6. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Thanks for mentioning this, she was fabulous, @manigordo !

Very good grasp of basketball fundamentals, good timing with her comments, and best of all.....what @ocalaman said! ^^^

Her name is Brooke Weisbrod. That info was provided by @GatorGrowl in Post #1 of this thread.

Her bio:

Brooke Weisbrod joined ESPN in 2003 as a college basketball analyst and covers men’s and women’s basketball telecasts across ESPN platforms. In addition to her analyst role, she has also covered college basketball and football as a sideline reporter.

Before joining ESPN, Weisbrod was most noted for playing college basketball at Coastal Carolina University, where in 2001 she was named the Big South Player of the Year, the Big South Scholar Athlete of the Year and the NCAA Woman of the Year for South Carolina. She is the second player in school history to amass at least 1,000 points, 300 rebounds and 200 assists.

Weisbrod also lettered in softball and tennis before playing basketball professionally in Germany for the Marburg Marlins for one year. Weisbrod was graduated from Coastal Carolina University in 2001 cum laude with a degree in marketing.

Easy on the eyes as well! :D

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    Is that really fair? Billy Donovan is an all time great. Of course White and pretty much any other coach will fall short of Billy’s benchmarks.

No offense taken, but it’s not really about whether I like him or not. The fact is, he was very successful at UF by any objective measure. We cannot be expect consistent Elite 8 and Final Four appearances as the standard. It’s unrealistic.

8. unclerob

unclerob Junior

Aug 14, 2015
    it seems like every game someone turns in Steph Curry Jr.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. GatorMcCluskey

Apr 3, 2007
    no, Donovan's influence - players, recruits, culture, etc - not his benchmarks. I agree Donovan was an ATG and new coaches shouldn't be held to that same standard.

White definitely did some good things early in his career, we just disagree on the overall level of success he reached.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    I hoped he would be that vocal leader to lift everyone. I am glad he's playing so well. He's fun to watch. Still a bit mystified he didn't start the first game available. I think we might be further ahead. Feels like we may be about to turn a corner. Certainly felt that way treating uga like fsu but we're not at a level where we can keep a 20 point lead against stiff competition.

Having players have career games against us shows the defense has a ways to go.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. GatorMcCluskey

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree that ZP is our most valuable player - I think we might be getting a little better overall (edit: like fox said above, maybe closer to turning the corner as a team), but he's the one guy we can't afford to lose.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    We were on par with any elite program that didn’t win a championship during the years he was there. At least with respect to making the tournament and winning games in it. We lacked in regular season dominance and SEC Championships, admittedly.

• Like Like x 1
  13. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    The offense definitely seems to click when they are pressing and looking for openings. Once they start slowing down and moving around the 3 line it all gets out of synch.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    monty python my brain hurts - Google Search

15. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    I like Mike White and think he's a good, but not great, coach. It's always tough following a coaching legend at the school. After that 2nd year run to the Elite 8, his SEC records were 11-7, 9-9, 11-7, 9-7 and 9-9 and they never got past the NCAA Round of 32. Not bad, but not real good either. At The University of Florida teams are expected to regularly compete for conference championships. That was not happening, we had stagnated as a program and after 7 years, I think the AD, UAA, most fans and even Mike himself agreed that it was time for a change - for White himself as well as for the program. Is Todd Golden the answer? Can he do better than White? Time will tell.

• Agree Agree x 5
  16. beechgator

beechgator GC Legend

Aug 31, 2007
    I thought she was really good and very natural in her delivery. Fwiw

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    He is our leader .. he is our best player, we do t win without him .. please just stop with the insanity

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

The good thing about this game is that we won with people who are capable of stepping up not having to. The deeper into the season that we can rely on a combination of different players delivering on any given night, the more success we will have. This was Hanglogten's most impressive game in my opinion. He was a great acquisition by Golden as was everyone new to Florida this year.

Why Linardi is sheepish on us is baffling. But it is great motivation for the program to go out every night and prove that each game is necessary to get into the tournament. He has Miss State, Georgia, and FSU basically in the tournament and us nowhere close, and we beat all three teams.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. wci347

wci347 GC Hall of Fame

Okay I thought they were Q2, but you are right they are Q3 for us at home.

20. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    Football and Basketball have had flashes of great success . It’s been a while that we could count on top tier excellence. I don’t think our fan passion or program excellence should be that high of an expectation . We are a middle of the road program with pretty solid baseball. Just trying to be real here, not looking to piss anyone off

• Agree Agree x 1