Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

OGT-Florida vs. Georgia 1/27/2024 12:00

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by GatorGrowl, Jan 26, 2024.

1. bigDgator

bigDgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    We screwed up not getting the bench players more minutes in non-conf sched. Now it seems Golden is afraid to play them. Giving Aberdeen 1 minute does absolutely nothing to spell our ball handlers. Our guards are playing too many minutes and it is affecting their defense and ability to break the press. Aberdeen and Haugh can't get in the flow of the game with 1 and 5 minutes of playing time. All they are trying to do is not mess up, which is no way to play basketball. Rishwain never plays and Shimmy is healthy and should get some minutes.

This many minutes takes the aggressiveness out of players in the 2nd half. Pullin isn't the same driving to the basket after playing 35+ minutes as is would be if he were fresh.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    There were also possessions where he would catch the ball in the halfcourt...and then stand there holding it. Not passing. Not moving. Not dribbling. Just holding it, maybe hoping something would happen for no reason. Sucked the air out of the possession.
    Very disappointing. The last few games I thought he was beginning to get it and gel within the the team play. Nope.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Aberdeen needs to play better to deserve more minutes. Sorry.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. GatorMcCluskey

GatorMcCluskey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    bruh come on with this - over his seven years here Mike White's teams consistently underachieved relative to talent and expectations. His biggest success by far was the 2017 Elite Eight with a team full of Donovan recruits, and he lived off that season for the next five years with steadily diminishing returns before UF finally cut bait.

he was a good guy but far from a great coach and chose to be a Georgia Bulldog now, so he's Gator bait as far as I'm concerned.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I held off posting as to not take away from our "soft" hoops team and their OT win over an SEC rival, but this brilliant insight deserves notice.

Yes.Let's call out the soft men's athletic program!
    -Golf team was paper soft in one of the most epic runs of match play I can remember on the way to winning the natty
    -Same could be said for Shelton and the tennis men on their run a year ago for the national championship
    -Men's swimming has only won 11 SEC championships in a row, 23 top 10 in a row, currently ranked 3rd. When are they going to tough up.
    -Don't even get me started on Mouse and the Mens Track program....I'm sure everyone applauds calling them soft, I won't even list the record:rolleyes:

Let's tag yet another hall of fame post!

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. deathroll

deathroll GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Excellent, absolutely necessary win. Gotta congratulate Handlogten. A career-high in points with 23, on an incredibly efficient 10-for-13 shooting, and 17, count ‘em 17 rebounds. Oh my, that’s some good stuff right there.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. pigpen

pigpen All American

Aug 30, 2023
    What a game by Handlogten. 17 rebounds is not easy to do unless your a young Wilt.
    Give him another 15-20 lbs and he can be a NBA first rounder in 2 years

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    And then….lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    How many years of eligibility does he have left?

10. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    I had to get on the road at halftime so listened to the second half on the radio. So glad I wasn't able to post in the game thread during the collapse, but eager to see the gnashing of teeth that occurred. Should be entertaining reading.

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. pigpen

pigpen All American

Aug 30, 2023
    I think 2

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Yep, Micah is a sophomore, and still getting better. I'm hoping he gets a lot of offseason work in in the weight room and in the gym on low-post moves. And free throws. He could be a beast every night. He already has that 6th sense that great rebounders possess.
    We lose a good one in Tyrese, but I really like what we're gonna have back with Handlogten and Condon. If Shimmy becomes the player I expect, we'll move Haugh out to the small forward position more.
    Olivier, I think, will be a project that will take a couple of years.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 3
  13. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    Only he can improve his shooting. It’s mental.
    He looks like he could care less, what happened to smiling, looking focus. He needs to make the most of his time on the floor. Good defender, great driver of the ball, situational awareness not good, throwing the two lazy passes in a row would have him on the bench. His shooting this game was bad. A twenty point lead and he started the sloppy play. I don’t know what’s going on with him but he hurt the team tonight when everybody on the team, coaches and fans are pulling for him. I am sure CTG is exsasperated…….

*on a side note the last five minutes our offense for the second game in a row was forwards and wings just stand around and give it to the guards. Everyone just like Georgia circle around, see picks and keep moving till someone is open. A half court game, which we need to tell our players keep moving around or you will be on the bench…

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    That’s the problem with the whole we were up big then lost the lead narrative. Just like you can be up big, the other team can go down big. Just because the other team comes back it doesn’t mean you lost the game or they win the game. You can’t have it both ways, where you are allowed to go up big, but they aren’t allowed to come back… or vice versa.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    Yeah ok.

How many coaches in all of college basketball did better than Mike White at Florida during his tenure?

16. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    Handlogten had a great game. Like you said weight room for legs and chest/shoulders. Work on shooting threes and ft’s. He needs to push big centers out with his hands and arms and move his feet. I can’t complain. I wish Haugh could hit some shots mid range and threes, hopefully getting stronger and playing small forward would help him make the sophomore jump. We can run and push the ball but coach needs to install a movement half court offense. We got the win which is good but we didn’t stay focused when we got up.

On to horse track land then Texas on the road, two very tough games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. bigDgator

bigDgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Then play Rishwain. My point is these guys are playing too many minutes and it is taking away their explosiveness at the end of games. In the last four games we have had guards go off on us for 39, 36, 26, and 35 points, and I think it is because our guards are playing too many minutes to play effectively on defense.

We are already not great defensively, tired legs makes us absolutely terrible.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    You said it and completely agree. Love Sully’s mentality when ahead.

19. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Great post. Maybe an ncaa tourney team. If defense was better a good ncaa tourney team.

20. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 GC Legend

Nov 26, 2013
    Micah also had thay ankle injury earlier in the season and it took a whilr (a month imo) to get back to moving the way he was at the start of the season.

• Agree Agree x 1