Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

OGT-Florida @ South Carolina 1/15/2022 1:00 pm SEC Net

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by GatorGrowl, Jan 13, 2022.

1. MCB51

MCB51 Moderator

Nov 23, 2015
    FL
    Highlight of basketball (one of many) was the tennis ball story up at Vandy-my friend retold the story...and of course all the Captain Ahab stories too

• Like Like x 2
  2. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    I recall Playboy running an article on Namath when he was still in college. I won't say anymore than that but if what they wrote was true he was quite the lady's man. Like all men I just bought it for the articles.:)

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. HallGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    I remember taking the old transistor radio to bed when I was a teenager. Had to rely on feeds from stations like WBT out of Charlotte, WLS out of Chicago or WOWO out of FT Wayne. It depended on which one was getting the better skip that night. Actually picked up WABC out of New York a couple of times.

• Like Like x 2
  4. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    John Clougherty made the technical call and Sloane sent Dwayne S to the line to shoot the two free throws to tie the game and send it to OT. I always thought that we a cool move, but maybe not the smart play.

Vandy most likely would have been SEC regular season champions if not for that game.

• Like Like x 2
  5. gatormonk

gatormonk GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    My first Gator basketball game was in Alligator Alley my sophomore year. I think Stormin' Norman was the coach.

Edit: actually it was John Lotz. Sloan came later

• Like Like x 4
  6. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    The first Gator BB game I saw was on TV from Alligator Alley and Neal Walk was playing.

I played a lot of pick-up at Florida Gym when they still had the stands.

It must have been really loud for a game.

My first live Gator BB game was when I was a new prof at UF and we were playing Georgia with Vern Fleming during the season that Georgia went to the Final Four. My wife wanted to go and from my experience as a grad student at Illinois you couldn't get tickets for a game. We walked up and got two first row level one tickets.

They still did the "Who cares" chant whilst reading the Alligator then. That was really cool.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Singaporegator

Singaporegator GC Hall of Fame

As a grad student at a game at the Alley against Bama. As usual every one was pretty close together. Out cheerleaders did a cheer “Roll Tide Roll, Around the bowl and down the hole!” Everybody cracked up, including the Alabama cheerleaders! :)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. gatormonk

Apr 3, 2007
    Haha, I think I remember the " who cares" chant.
    True, it was incredibly loud in there and a lot of fun.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I was an undergrad at IIT in Chicago. The gym (Keating Hall) was steel and glass and they played their home basketball games there. At that time they were NAIA Div III which is the lowest of the low. I used to go to games with some other guys and made a racket. Most of the guys on the team were friends of ours. Truth be told the coach wanted us to play on the team, but we were more interested in first studying engineering and getting to know young ladies, but we did like to play ball.

But with glass walls it was really easy for just a few of us to make it really loud.

I think there are some youtube videos of Bo Jackson taking batting practice in Keating Hall when he was a White Sox player. IIT is just across the Dan Ryan Freeway from the old Comiskey Park.

Added in edit: We all had to take two semesters of PE and one half of each semester was swimming. The swimming instructor was a world class distance swimmer. The first day of swim class he made everyone jump off the 3 meter board. An African American student made a great dive and the coach asked "What is your major?"

He answered "Architecture" and Coach said "forget it".

Everyone knows that engineering students need a lot of study time, but at IIT the archy students needed even more.

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Good to get a win over SC, been tough in the past.
    Wasn't able to watch, but looking at the length of this thread and the second half posts was worried for a bit tho Thanks for the updated.

• Like Like x 3
  11. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Solid win! Hope this helps turn things around. Kowacie showed he deserves more minutes going forward. There's a reason he was a 5-star

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
  12. gatormonk

Apr 3, 2007
    Nice stories. College was a great time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Not enough women where I went to school, but Chicago is a very large town.

• Like Like x 1
  15. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    My housemate was on the receiving end of the Schintzius tennis racket. Was a wild week.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  16. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Your housemate was a rearview mirror?

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. FranceGator

Apr 8, 2007
    He was at a bar downtown, drunk, things got weird. Swung the racket at my friend, missed, fell down. 8 hours later, I’m answering the phone with Sports Illustrated.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. HallGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    Schintzius caught a lot of flack for that. Opposing fans loved throwing tennis balls at him from the best I recall.

• Like Like x 2
  19. FranceGator

Apr 8, 2007
    Just to make double-triple sure, before I watch the replay. At the end of the game...our score was HIGHER than their score, right?

• Funny Funny x 3
  20. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    That’s hard to mess up Hall