Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

OGT-Florida SEC vs. Mississippi State 1/24/2024 8:30 pm SECN

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by GatorGrowl, Jan 23, 2024.

1. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    He came back and looked absolutely fine. Even fist bumping teammates with the hurt hand.

I thought he broke his hand for sure. Whew

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. GatorRider

GatorRider GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Thanks Exiled! I thought the same, that he broke his wrist or hand.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Nice win for UF. Almost a tourney elimination game IMO.

Need to win 2 of the next 3 for sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Zyon Pullin - 35 minutes, 0 turnovers. Solid. Thought we could have been more aggessive after breaking the press. Too many times Tyrese would get the ball at the free throw line in a two-on-one situation and didn't even look to score or even face the basket, just tossed it back to Pullin to eat clock. Hopefully they learn from this and stay aggressive and make the defense pay for pressing in the future so we don't burn a big lead. Otherwise, I thought Golden had a good gameplan for dealing with Smith and the guys played aggressive defense, which was the key. Especially Will, who was everywhere deflecting balls, blocking shots and getting rebounds.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  5. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    When Will Richard plays well, the Gators are a much, much better team. Pullin is a great ball handler. Assist to turnover ratio is one of the best in the nation and he's just the glue to the offense. Clayton is a gamer. And what I most most impressed with last night was how well they played defense until the last 5-7 minutes of the game. Best team defense in a long time for the most part.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I believe that was the #14 defense in KenPom coming in. So, let's not get too down about the dry stretches.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. ufstrong57

ufstrong57 Junior

Nov 13, 2023
    Not by design. First, we had issues getting the ball past half court. The guys by themselves wanted to protect the lead whereas coach didn't want them to throw up quick shots but also didn't want them to stop being aggressive. There's a fine line between not helping msu with quick missed fgs to let them back in and losing aggression. I think should UF get in that situation again they will handle it better. As msu started to make a run, I believe we got tight offensively thus kept missing shots.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    Damn we are still digging on Mike White. I thought he was a damn good coach . Do a hell of a job so far at UGA. I think the SEC standings reflect that. I know I’m in the minority here but I didn’t want him to leave , but only my opinion. We are allowed to have one . Just like rear ends .

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    you talking about his missed FT attempt where he looked like he was thinking more about his post-game snack and just wanted it to end already. He shoots all FTs like, very poor concentration/focu.

"just enough", c'mon man. Had it not been a made 3 with less than 10 seconds to go, it would have been a 12-point margin, that's much better than "just enough"!

Agreed, especially when they just grab the guy, which is obviously an intentional foul; shoot FTs and get the ball will end that. You gotta at least disguise the late fouls with an agressive attempt for a steal.

10. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    I was referring to their 10-0 run that got them to within 6, then a Richard 3 and numerous missed 3s from their 5’10 guard. if you don’t think it was a nail-biter when they closed to within 6, then you either you weren’t watching or you have a lot more confidence than the rest of us. We could have easily continued to meltdown and lose, but we held on

11. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    I will gain a great deal more confidence in this team and this season if we show the same defensive effort and cohesion against Georgia.

UGA is another middling offensive team. Slightly less efficient than MSU. MSU scored their season average road points on us, but I think that's still a win given our pace gives more opportunities. Do the same or better to UGA and buy into the D and each other. That's what we need to take the next step.

I don't see the guy I'm too afraid to talk about anymore coming back to 1st round form this year. Minimal growth to be eeked out of our Freshmen this season. We already ball the F out on the offensive side of the ball. Keep improving the D so we make real noise come tourny time.

12. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    I know!!! The player knows when to time it !

13. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    Thank god for Cliff Richard and Vern Lunquist . Our young fans have no idea whom I’m talking about.. lol

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You are right on the rule, but technically, it did reach its highest point. :)

Seems like a poorly written rule:

It is a violation when...

It may also have been a bad toss:

Given the requirement of the latter, the former should probably read something to the effect of the ball must begin traveling downwards before it can be touched.

Goal tending uses "downward" rather than "highest point," it makes more sense that way.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

15. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Powerful!

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

16. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I looked at it on replay and from the high camera shot from behind the alumni it was borderline on the call when viewed on my Surface Pro but you know where I sit and it was quite obvious that the MSU player hit the ball on the way up from my seat. We used to call that stealing the tap. I gave the ref that initiated the jump ball hell (and you know that they can hear me from where I sit) but really the call should have been made by one of the other two officials since they have a better view.

With alternating possession it isn't a huge deal but I want the refs to get things right. The great baseball ump Ron Luciano said that umpires were supposed to be perfect on opening day and improve all season. I just want the refs to remember that they blew a call and it get it right next time.

Added in edit: This is how I know that the refs can hear me. Many years ago when Gerald Boudreaux was still calling games I caught him scoping out The Dazzlers during a time out. I yelled "Hey Boudreaux. Watch the game that closely." He turned to me with a very sheepish smile.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    FTR, the basketball gods have never, ever, ever never ever, heard my plaintive plea before.

• Like Like x 1
  18. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    See Golden's postgame interview. He's a very candid dude and doesn't play games. He said his focus the first part of the season was getting his guys to play at a high pace on offense. The last couple of weeks he's been focusing his guys on 3-point defense. He was pretty pleased with it for most of the game last night.

• Like Like x 3
  19. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    One problem is that many years ago they used the term intentional foul for what we now call a flagrant foul. To me there is no problem with fouling on purpose to stop the clock and either give the opposing team an inbounds, 1 and 1, or two shots. That is part of the game and sometimes teams are penalized for not being called for enough fouls earlier so that they have to make a couple of fouls to just get to the bonus for the other team.

Now a foul to the face or intent to injure is a different thing. One of the MSU fouls late was to a Gator face and I was shocked that they didn't at least review it. I thought it was inadvertent so not a big deal but a review was warranted.

20. thenazz

thenazz Senior

Sep 4, 2017
    Albuquerque
    I too am a Mike White fan (except for the Georgia part). But he had his quirks and faults, and the premature slowdown was one of them.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1