Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

OGT-Florida at Wake Forest 11/29 7:15 ESPNU

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by GatorGrowl, Nov 29, 2023.

1. rtgator

rtgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree that we shouldn't blame this loss on the officials. It was our worst game of the year.

But, it's fair to say that the bad officiating impacted the game. We played much of the 2nd half with all our inside players in foul trouble. And the officiating affected the pace of the game to our disadvantage.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. bigDgator

bigDgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    This was a bad loss if for no other reason than LSU and Georgia have beaten this team and neither of those teams will make the tourney.
    Also for everyone saying that our big man was out, so was Wake’s big man. Which is why they basically play a 7 man rotation. Their 8th player got 2 minutes playing time.

Golden seems to be trying to play an NBA style of game where you out score teams and defense is an afterthought. This is going to make us a perennial bubble team just like we were with the last coach.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  3. Gator40

Gator40 Avada Kedavra

Apr 3, 2007
    This is my thought. I seem to remember the same sentiment last year and probably the year before.

It actually never really helps. They just pile up as losses, some of them bad losses that really hurt our resume.

We have good talent, but it just needs to stay healthy to get the team to gel.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. beechgator

beechgator GC Legend

Aug 31, 2007
    Basically, we're a team that is one injury away from mediocrity and missing the tournament. Just like the last few years. Sigh...

Last edited: Nov 30, 2023
  5. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 GC Legend

Nov 26, 2013
    I know you were being sarcastic and me as well becsuse that is how they treated it. Was that really a technical foul worthy play????

6. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    May be simplistic but the team seemed to accept what was coming to them in the Last 10 minutes. Wake snatched it and credit to their effort but we should have matched their intensity. Someone needed to step up and light a fire in the huddle. I'd prefer it be Pullin, now worried he's not vocal enough or maybe not alpha enough. If not it needs to be someone else. Maybe Clayton or Kugel.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota
    I think we still should have won, but it is hard to watch that game and say officiating didn't play a role. Hopefully no one expects all the calls in a road game, but the way they started officiating to start the second half was ridiculous and definitely shaped the flow of the game.

8. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Generally speaking… I agree. But this game, the officials had a very significant impact… And possibly a decisive one.
    Yes, Florida could’ve played better. But I’m not going to shy away from calling this a horrifically officiated game.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Perhaps but did you play basketball? If you played you know away refs when you see them. Ever heard of Rupp. Refs are human and there is the occasional bias. Yes blaming the isn't a valid excuse a lot of the times, but bad officiating definitely does happen and it did last night. Saying they had no hand in the outcome of the game is incorrect - yes we played bad and didn't defend well in the 2nd half, but it was most definitely exacerbated by the officials. Teddy Valentine is a notoriously bad, biased official. You think he just got that reputation out of thin air?

10. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    I played basketball in high school and have watched literally hundreds, if not thousands, of games. I know officiating can be erratic and inconsistent. And the officiating of last night's game was that for sure. And I know all about Ted Valentine. But officiating is NOT the reason we lost the game. We lost the game because Pullin & Clayton shot the ball terribly, we didn't get the offensive rebounds and second chances we've been used to getting, we didn't execute well on the offensive end, played terrible 3 point defense (again) and our freshmen big guys got schooled by their big guy, Carr. Did officiating play a role? Of course. But that is not why we lost. None of the post game analysis says that officiating was the reason we lost. To blame the refs is just not addressing the real issues with this team that need to get corrected if we're going to have a good season. And there's too much talent not to win a bunch of games this year.
    Loss To Wake Forest Illuminates Issues Florida Must Address | GatorCountry.com
    Wake Overtakes UF With Big Second Half - Florida Gators
    https://247sports.com/college/flori...cap-gators-riley-kugel-wake-forest-221797440/
    Florida Basketball: 5 takeaways from Gators loss at Wake Forest

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Since I don't get ESPNU even on ESPN+ we went out to watch the game.

First we were at Gator Dockside. Big mistake. It was trivia night and we were relegated to a corner with the trivia PA blasting us. We did get to see the game but could not hear the game. We had to get out of there.

We then decided to try Ballyhoo Grill where we could kind of see the game but it was a live music night so we couldn't hear the game either. At least it wasn't as horribly loud as was the case at Gator Dockside. The grilled mahi tacos were OK. I got them with slaw on the side so that I could add slaw to the tacos. Smart move.

Seeing and not hearing the game was quite confusing. It seemed like several times the Gators scored and even deserved an "And One" but they didn't get any points and Wake got the ball instead. At first I thought that the score on the TV was slow, but it wasn't. Were the Gators fouling away from the ball and I didn't see it? With no replays of such fouls I have no idea.