Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(SB) OGT-Florida at Kentucky 5/6/23 3:00 pm ESPNU

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by GatorGrowl, May 6, 2023.

1. sweetpotato2

sweetpotato2 GC Legend

May 5, 2023
    On top of having off season surgery and Florida changing Lexi from a swing and miss pitcher to a contact pitcher I think she's in her head too much. Considering the fact she's going to be the most experience pitcher on the staff next season that's definitely something I hope Lexi and Florida will work on during the off season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. 1990Gator

1990Gator VIP Member

Dec 30, 2013
    As to your first comment - exactly. What I mean. We have two natural catchers on the roster (Roe and Wilkie), they have played the position and know what to do. Point - Have you seen 52 frame a single pitch this year? I have not and I’ve seen almost every home game live from row 2 - less than 25’ away. All games have the perfect camera angle from center filed and you never see her help the pitcher by framing the ball.

Watch experienced catchers, they frame it all day long.

As to your second comment, do you notice how nonchalant 52 is when a ball passes her? She never seem to run after a passed ball, she casually looks around and then trots to the ball. Also, you hardly ever see her shift her body to block the ball - once in a while you do but on most cases the throws the glove out there and waves at it. An experienced catcher will jump one way or another to get their body in front of the ball and try to shield it.

(Maybe the lack of development as a catcher is the reason the catching coach (Cassidy Brewer) is no longer on the staff)

Last case in point - if you can rewatch the FSU game, have a look at one of the passed balls - you can clearly see her eyes close when the pitch hits the plate and bounces up to her chest - an experienced catcher knows the mask will protect her eyes.

I give 52 tons of credit, she plays every position asked of her to the best of her abilities - it’s not her fault that for some reason Roe or Wilkie are not behind the plate. That is a coaching decision and thankfully next year the current coaches cannot make that decision as that will not be an option next year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. MCB51

MCB51 Moderator

Nov 23, 2015
    FL
    Wild pitches happen no matter who the catcher is...even in mlb..

4. Porschegator

Porschegator GC Legend

Aug 15, 2016
    Canton Ohio
    This is now becoming a moot point. The season is just about over and she is leaving. Not sure Roe and Wilke will be the regular catchers next year. The #13 recruit Ariel Kawalenski, a catcher is coming to Gainesville next season. She batted 657 for her HS team last season. I'm sure she will be in the mix.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    It is what it is, there are so many things we don't do very well.

6. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    There is a difference between a WP and a passed ball.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. MCB51

MCB51 Moderator

Nov 23, 2015
    FL
    Yes-thanks-the score was on a wild pitch-which both happen in mlb-I was responding to his comment that was made after I had said a score was done on a wild pitch-which is charged to the pitcher not the catcher-

8. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Probably worth noting...a good catcher can save a pitcher from some wild pitches. And the "scoring" of WP vs PB is often in the eye of the beholder

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  9. MCB51

MCB51 Moderator

Nov 23, 2015
    FL
    I checked and indeeed even pro catchers have had both...I guess I was just pointing out that it happens...

10. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Oh it absolutely happens....just pointing out the deeper dive that can be conducted on the topic

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. MCB51

MCB51 Moderator

Nov 23, 2015
    FL
    Of course..I did look up some stats...on current players ..errors etc..some might be surprised