Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

OGT: Florida 3-1/0-0 SEC vs. Pitt 4-0/0-0 ACC 11/22/2023 (9:30 PM -- ESPN2 or ESPNU)

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by GatorGrowl, Nov 21, 2023.

1. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    yeah… I dunno how it would impact riley. I tend to think he will prove to be a guy who performs best when he is “the guy” … and this is likely a team that doesn’t need one. That doesn’t mean we don’t need Riley… we do. But he will have to adjust his game to something different than a high volume player. The early going may be a frustrating, but I’ve been encouraged by some really nice passes, and his recent defensive efforts. He is super talented, but will have to adjust to letting the game come to him, as opposed to being the game. The latter was the role he excelled at after Castleton went down.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  2. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Micah rolled his ankle, per Chris Harry.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  3. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    Happy Thanksgiving, NBN family!

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
  4. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Yep. He's strong on defense, struggling on offense. I think we need to design specific plays to get him in the paint early in the game. Make a layup or two, hit some free throws, and maybe he'll figure this thing out.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. bigDgator

bigDgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Associate head coach Carlin Hartman spoke briefly to Lee Humphrey after the game and gave no additional info on Hangloften. Said if he can go on Friday that is great, and if not it is the next man up.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I think that Pullin needs to start. I would have Richard coming off the bench.

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    Being at the game I’d say it was a 90% UF to 10% Pitt crowd. Really felt like a home game in NYC. Was pretty empty also.

• Informative Informative x 10
    • Like Like x 2
  8. 108

108 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    NYC
    not sure yet what’s the best rotation in that way..

9. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Damn nice win. It will be interesting to see what is the vibe for the Baylor game. Methinks some of the minutes were dispensed to have enough drive for the 2-day turnaround. Kugel is struggling, but I saw his demeanor look very good as opposed to what I saw in the last 2-3 games. I do think he is learning his game as well as what his role is with this team. Richard was sort of meh. Good strength to play defense against a 4, but otherwise kind of Kugel-esque.

Man, are we thin in the front court with an injury. The freshmen did not disappoint but they are picking up fouls when they need to give the other player their due when it is a 3-man rotation. That makes them marathon runners instead of 400-meter sprinters. Different mindset. We shall see whether we are still 3 bigs or 4 on Friday.

Glad that Aberdeen got some real minutes. I see him have a real role this season as long as he keeps up defense and no silly turnovers. Would have liked to see a Rishwain sighting. Oh well, maybe Friday. Clayton is SO good as Robin.

This is FUN!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    I saw a good bit of the Baylor/Oregon State game. Baylor is easily the best team we will have faced so far. We're going to have to play a solid 40 minutes.
    Richard was off-target yesterday. Waaay off. But he's Mr. Consistency and I don't think we'll see him having two consecutive off-nights all season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. GatorRider

GatorRider GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Damn! Fell asleep with about 3 minutes left in the first half. Woke up this morning and immediately went to the sports sites to see who won. Glad for the victory, and hope Hangloften recovers quickly. Go Gators, good solid win!

• Like Like x 2
  12. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Man, you missed a great game. Try to find the replay on YouTube or something. Worth watching more than just highlights.

• Agree Agree x 5
  13. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    Yankee calling the game with a southern team playing excellent basketball after an injury to a key player, no respect for us just like the national media. This is not a Mike White team, this team is talented and deep when everybody is well. We can run, score, more boxing out then I have seen in years from our bigs, Samuel is a warrior, Alex and Thomas look like school boys compared to the clowns from Pitt, but I guess they are talking to themselves now, damn, those guys are tough!
    That’s music to my ears, LOL

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. oneatatime

oneatatime GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    looking at the stats from the Pitt game, other than the win, totally opposite of what we saw in the first four games.

while outrebounded by 9, the assist turnover ratio was an amazing 24 to 8.

With all due respect to Micah, ball movement and floor spacing was better without him. Samuel had more room and our two headed freshmen bigs contributed 18 points and 11 rebounds in 46 minutes. Nice to see that nobody played more than 31 minutes despite using only 7 guys most of the way.

They show a lot of versatility. Imagine when Kugel gets going

• Like Like x 1
  15. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    In Florida with family for Thanksgiving. Watched the game at the beach on a large screen, large family of rabid Gators, we were screaming at every bad call, rebound, block or score. This is a great memory! Bring on the boyz’s from Baylor, another war, another lesson as this team grows and still finding their way. Injuries like Castleton’s last year have plagued the Gators for years. Symyck look huge standing by the freshmen at timeouts. Soon we will have two more whoppers back as we head into the conference wars looking for conference paybacks, Goooooooo Gators!

• Like Like x 7
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Spot on. I said this after the game yesterday. He's going to have to figure out his role on a team that really excels at sharing the ball and taking good shots. Don't need hero ball when your point guard can share the ball and get open looks for easy shots.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Let's do what we can to contain Ja'kobe and bring our A game. Baylor will be a true test, but think we can pull it off

• Like Like x 1
  18. jeffphillips21

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Agree, it's just better basketball. We're far more balanced this year. Hoping he finds his role and gets his groove back

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Yeah, that guy was looking like a top-10 NBA draftee yesterday. Really talented and athletic.

20. jeffphillips21

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    They have him as high as #3 in some draft boards

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1