Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(SB) Official Thread South Carolina vs. Florida - Weekend Series

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by ocalaman, Apr 19, 2024.

1. 407king

407king VIP Member

Dec 8, 2018
    Nice comeback

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. bigDgator

bigDgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Heck of a win for the ladies, great job!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. MCB51

MCB51 Moderator

Nov 23, 2015
    FL
    Wooten did a nice job holding them down

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    I just finished watching the game recording. The Gators had everything go wrong that can go wrong for the first 3+ innings and showed tons of character by hanging in there and battling back to get the win. In spite of all the offense we showed today, I think Mackenzie Wooten was the MVP of the game. She came in with USC up 5-2, Keagan having given up 3 straight hits, no outs, 1 run already in and runners on first and 2nd. She got out of that mess without giving up another run and then threw 2 more innings and only gave up 1 run. That had to fire the Gators up for the bottom of the 4th when the bottom of the order came alive to get us going and then the top of the order put us ahead. I feel so bad for Skylar Wallace. She is the unquestioned leader of the team and they need her going forward. But the team had her back today and she was probably the most excited person on the team when AK caught the final out of the game.
    They have their work cut out for them the final 8 games of the regular season, but no matter what happens I will never doubt or question the competitiveness and grit of these young ladies.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. johnny_cakes

johnny_cakes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    I hope it's just finals, cuz those end. Hope its not the distraction of graduating, college softball career over, and "rest of my life" concerns. Whatever she's dealing with (we can only speculate) I hope she finds answers and tranquility. The world is bigger than softball.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Skylar is coming out of that slump. She hit the ball hard today, but right at someone.
    I hope she busts out against FSU on Wednesday!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. johnny_cakes

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    Great post.

The phrase "snake bit" comes to mind. It seems like we get a lot of bad breaks, fluke plays, just things not going our way. The team has shown great resolve to battle through, snatching wins from the jaws of defeat. But luck has a way of changing and when we start getting some breaks going our way, sky is the limit.

I like Wooten, but she kinda got rocked today. Gave up a HR that Kistler brought back into the park and another of her six outs was an at the wall hit to left. CTW subbed Brown in, probably for that very reason. Wooten hadn't seen the entire lineup yet, so it wasn't a matter of not letting them see her twice.

Not understanding Kistler seeing limited playing time in this series...any theories?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Wooten faced 12 batters, so those hard hit balls in the 6th were from batters seeing her for the 2nd time. I think bringing Brown in for the 7th was the needed move because of what happened in the 6th. I would like to see more of a staff approach going forward and Wooten can give a solid 2+ innings helping in that way - probably Miller, too. I think both can help keep from stretching Rothrock & Brown too far.
    The only thing I can think about Katie is that her batting average in SEC games is only .146. Even Mia's SEC BA is .194, so maybe that's the reason. She's a class act and gives her best whenever she's out there and is a tremendous right fielder.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. johnny_cakes

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    What was the deal with CTW stopping the game in (maybe) the fourth inning and seemed to be dealing with some emergency in the dugout? At least that's what we were speculating -- we couldn't really see what was happening.

10. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    On TV a young red headed girl/lady looked like she was just outside the dugout in or near the cameraman box. I don't know whether she was part of the team staff, camera crew or a fan in the area, but it looked like a couple of team and staff members assisted her into and through the back of the dugout. They never mentioned what her problem was and didn't talk about it again on the broadcast.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. buffy2222

buffy2222 Junior

Jul 9, 2022
    Thank you, Ocala/Weatherman! Sometimes there are too many assumptions!

12. buffy2222

buffy2222 Junior

Jul 9, 2022
    If there was an award for “Most Improved at the Plate/Utility Player”….Reagan Walsh! Can’t say enough great things about her. Reagan has taken her role to another level.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Just watched replay and can't recall a team overcoming 4 DPs before. Also SC hitting was a lot better than advertised. They've lost a lot of close games.

Totally impressed that Otis scored from first on Erickson's single. Not Falby speed but close.

Lot of other positives including Kistlers HR denying catch, Wootens shut down pitching, Wilkie on base twice off the bench, AK's HR, Brown with the save and of course Erickson's clutch hit.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. alysb21

alysb21 GC Legend

Jan 8, 2019
    That hr by kowalewski was big by the freshman.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. johnny_cakes

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    Great minds think alike!
    She has almost tripled the rate at which she is hitting HRs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  16. johnny_cakes

Apr 2, 2017
    KSP Stadium
    So tripling her HR rate gets a "come on man?"

Tough crowd.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1