Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Norvell Was 'Close' to Taking Bama Job; Kiffin Was Eyed by FSU

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Mar 6, 2024.

1. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    This is college baseball and we can’t complete a 1-6-3 … Didn’t in the UM series either!

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  2. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    He appears to have grown up quite a bit since those days.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    Not me. I’m already maxed out and into a multi-decade hate deficit that dates at least to that criminal institution (posing as a university) covering up Jameis Winston’s crimes to keep him on the field. It would take 20 years of winless seasons and having Doris Day as its head coach for SWAC to even break even at normal level of anti-rival vitriol for me. Them hiring Kiffin at this point wouldn’t make a dent.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2024
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    Sexton is Norvel’s agent. Norvel got a raise. There’s your source.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    I think Kiffin would take the UF job in a heartbeat.

I wouldn’t be upset.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. 2oldgator

2oldgator GC Legend

Jul 14, 2021
    Dunnellon fl
    I am in step with you most of the time Skink, but I don’t agree with you on Kiffin-entirely. I do think he was pretty slimy early in his career, but seems to me he has matured and even cleaned up a bit after being under Saban. Also got a huge wake up call at Southern Cal.
    I will agree that I will hate FSU even more (if possible) if they are ever able to hire him and whatever benefit of the doubt I have given him will be off the table at that point.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Swampville
    Kiffen would likely lock down Lagway too. Guy gets the most out of his QBs. Also I would have absolutely no gripe with Kiffen acting as our o coordinator...they guy is Spurrieresque with his timing and play calls. As for Norevell being offered by Bama...hell if they offered he would be gone from that Tally shit hole so fast I doubt he would take his family pictures off the wall. Love the idea of Lane if we stink it up this year but Im not sure of Lanes arm length.

8. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Andy Kaufman level commitment to beating the dead horse about arm length....

9. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole Premium Member

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    I’ve been told by people that would know, that Norvell was seriously considering the job. Bama wanted him and were in discussions. Was the job offered? I do not know but believe the people that told me there were serious talks.

I have no doubt DeLoach is a good coach but I think there are questions about if his coaching style will translate into the SEC and the South. That is a big risk they had to take versus grabbing a coach that proved they can recruit and win in the South.

Have a couple big Bama fans that weren't thrilled about the hire but realized that DeLoach was probably they best they could hope for to replace the most successful college football coach in the modern era.

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    I was close to a Mega Millions jackpot but went to Publix at the wrong time.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  11. iam4uf

iam4uf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Gainesville
    Just their agents creating stories in order to puff them up for more money in their next contract.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Absolutely. Let me get this straight: the Gumps offered Norvell the day after Saban retired, but hired Deboer 2 days after Saban retired?

Uhhh.. no.

Norvell talking trash.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. incoldblood

incoldblood GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2016
    Norvell would have crawled on his hands and knees over broken glass to get out of f$u and take the Bama job. This is bs.

• Agree Agree x 9
  14. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    No, Sexton talking trash.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I can see how the conversation went now:

Bammer AD: "Hey Jimmy, God...oops I mean Saban just retired! We need a new Coach ASAP"
    Sexton: "Well, holy moley you don't say! Let me flip through my rolodex of clients and pick you out a good one [long pause because its a big rolodex]....well here's one, Mike Norvell is always is looking to get out of that craphole Tallahassee."
    Bammer AD (after dropping phone and laughing uproariously): "C'mon Jimmy, you gotta be kidding!"
    Sexton: "Sorry Greg...just a little joke between friends! (snicker). How 'bout this hotshot new guy up in the Northwest? He got his team into the playoffs in his second year in the program!"
    Bammer AD: "Well now we're talking, Jimmy....what's it gonna take to sign him up?"

That my friends is the story of how Mike Norvell got on the short-list to be Nick Saban's successor at Bama.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't know if Norvell wanted to leave fsu. I doubt it. It's a good gig for him. Would he have left if Bama actually offered? Most likely.

His miraculous season was because he plays in the ACC. That's it. Bama's AD had to have known that and georgia removed all doubt. fsu's starters would have made little difference. The one thing I give Norvell credit for is identifying then executing acquisitions in the portal, and he did it again this cycle, and did so without the sizeable task force our HC assembled here. I would believe he was on Bama's list to court, but doubt he would have been higher than third on their list. The idea that he was close to being hired by Bama seems unlikely, especially since Bama hired Deboer 48 hours after Saban departed. How much discussion and negotiation could there have been?

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I would be optimistic if he were hired. His team's weakness was mostly Defense and he hired a new DC. That says something. But he just signed a four year x $9 million deal. Why leave that? We pay our HC $7. So we would have to pay more than $9 to get him or guarantee that number at more than four years. There's likely a buyout UF would have to pay, and that's on top of Napier's BO. Lotta money. Weird to me is that he received a four year deal after establishing an upward trajectory but our AD felt compelled to indemnify UF with a 7 year deal for Napier.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. iam4uf

iam4uf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Gainesville
    Does anyone really think that Bama would want a coach that has won only 64.5% of his games in a weak conference?

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Kiffin in Tallahassee would be tabloid heaven.

20. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    No. Now ask me if I think would have settled for Norvell if their top targets all said no.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1