Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

No, Slaves Didn't Build This Country

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by studegator, Feb 15, 2023.

1. 108

108 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    NYC
    The resident righties taking DeSantis’s lead on AA history..

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Slavery was recognized as being wrong (as in, immoral) at the time, by the people who had the power to make it illegal. Both Washington and Jefferson recognized that slavery was wrong, but they made too much money from their plantations to give up their slaves. They admitted it. Of course, had they made it illegal, they would have had a fight on their hands with all of the other slave owners. But the first step would have been giving up their own slaves, which neither one did while they were alive.

3. studegator

studegator GC Legend

Feb 24, 2008
    The Founding Fathers and Slavery
    By 1781, however, Franklin had divested himself of slaves, and shortly thereafter he became the president of the Pennsylvania Abolition Society. He also went further than most of his contemporaries by signing a petition to the First Federal Congress in 1790 for the abolition of slavery and the slave trade.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Its a figure of speech... Like saying Pell and Hall built the foundation for Spurrier.

Spurrier built Florida into what it is known for today, but history knows there was impact from others.

Slaves did not literally build America, but the figure of speech makes sense and honors them in an appropriate way in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Ok, should we say that slaves and also cheap exploited labor built this country?

• Like Like x 1
  7. pkaib01

pkaib01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bingo!

It's arguing semantics without acknowledging the pragmatics. It is a tactic we see here over and over again by those trying to justify otherwise reprehensible positions. It reminds me of the "All Lives Matter" response to "Black Lives Matter" that attempts to distract from concerns of systemic, disproportional violence against the black community.

Also, as @saywhatgator pointed out, this is just a horrible strawman. Who said the slaves built this country and what was 'their' point? What did 'they' mean by 'built'? The OP is arguing against a person that doesn't exist and cannot defend himself.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    C'mon, you know why

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    There may be one, but I don't understand the ultimate point you're trying to make. Does it matter whether we enslaved them given that, a minimum, we kept them enslaved?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    We can't let those damn wokes give the slaves more credit than they deserve!

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007

Also, the Europeans initially enslaved the Indians and only turned to African labor when they basically wiped out the natives. So they basically did do the conquest and capturing of free people before they turned to another labor source due to market demand!

12. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    By this logic, only slaves came to America. No free people were enslaved. But we know from historical records that this is false. Do you really think white slavers distinguished free black people from slaves?

“If the Confederacy had been a separate nation, it would have ranked as the fourth richest in the world at the start of the Civil War. The slave economy had been very good to American prosperity. By the start of the war, the South was producing 75 percent of the world’s cotton and creating more millionaires per capita in the Mississippi River valley than anywhere in the nation.”

Today Mississippi is the poorest, dumbest state in the union. Did all the brilliant folks beget morons? No, their wealth was built on cruel enslavement, and when that ended their economy tanked.

Further, while “slavery” in west Africa was common, it often resembled fuedal Europe. Slavery before the Trans-Atlantic Trade · African Passages, Lowcountry Adaptations · Lowcountry Digital History Initiative. People lived/worked on land owned by local leaders. Servitude and slavery are not the same.

But ultimately you seem to excuse (is that really your point) slavery because “they did it too.” They killed each other in wars, so if we kill them in a war attacking them, they were gonna die? That is your logic!

This ignores that England and much of Europe outlawed slavery earlier. As early as 1776, the House of Commons debated a motion 'that the slave trade is contrary to the laws of God and the rights of men' and it was abolished in 1807 by royal decree.

In summary, the early US southern economy and wealth (yes, of the few and white males) were built on slavery and denying that is lying. Almost every southern state that left the union in the civil war SPECIFICALLY cited slavery as the reason for their treason. Denying that literally means you cannot read. But justifying annd explaining away slavery because “they did it too” harkens to all the excuses southerners traditionally used for discrimination: blacks were uncivilized, lesser, etc. A war had to be fought against people who excuse rape, enslavement and degradation of people. There is no explanation other than evilness and greed.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Pretty much. There’s a reason why that contingent is hellbent on stymieing history lessons in school, they want to rewrite it in their favor before they all pass away.

14. jjgator55

jjgator55 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah they pretty much did, and hate, fear, bigotry, antisemitism, and racism has held this country back.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  15. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    The post i replied to said they were "brought here and enslaved"--i was simply pointing out that they were already enslaved.

That doesn't exonerate or excuse the institution, but I think it does mitigate to some extent, and as I pointed out in my next post, especially when juxtaposed against what our nation did to the native Americans, and on particular, in context or reparations (the endgame of the 1619 project, which was likely the impetus of the OP).

TBL, IF anyone can state a case for reparations against the United States, it's the native Americans.

The descendants of African slaves maybe could state a case against the tribes that enslaved their ancestors, against the slaveholders who benefitted from their ancestors (assuming thet could be identified, and isolated from the nonculpable...), but the case against the entity--the USA--that shed blood to free them? Quite dubious, and definitely subordinate to any such relief due the native Americans.

Ultimately, it's a counterproductive exercise in futility, that oughtn't be permitted to gain traction, imho.

Jmho/fwiw

16. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I’ll give you Franklin, Hamilton to a lesser extent. He was talking about Virginians.

17. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Europeans enslaved them in perpetuity. African slavery was just war captives put to work or domestic service temporarily, not full blown chattel slavery, their kids didn't become slaves by virtue of birth as the property of others. European demand basically created a war economy in Africa based on capturing people to sell to Europeans, where previously it wasnt some kind of lucrative industry, just something that happened as consequence of small scale conflict.

18. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    You mean unity, and moving forward? Wasn't that ultimately why the civil war was waged? To preserve the Union?

Seems those hellbent on reopening the wounds of yesteryear are the ones seeking to 'stymie' history--by rewriting it, and reliving it, rather than making new history be moving forward.

I thought y'all fashioned yourselves 'progressive '.

Sounds quite Regressive to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    I think part of the issue is the lefts terrible messaging
    Black Lives Matter - came out during marches and protest against police where individuals in BLM gear where filmed shouting die pigs - people immediately pushed back
    Defund the police - many here claimed that. Really didn’t mean defund the police… but people are going to push back on that…
    Slaves Built America - only place I’ve seen it is in a kids cartoon ad… and again, it isn’t great messaging … of course people will push back on it.

These three examples show that even though the “good Brent” might be honorable when you package it and brand in a way that is a firebrand… you can expect push back.
    In this case, a kids carton making this claim would definitely get peoples attention.
    Slavery is the darkest most horrible part of countries past. There is no ignoring it or sugar coating it. But many act like USA is the only nation with such a past. That white people are the only ones to blame. That great strides have not been made in the last 60-70 years.
    I cannot change what happened. I’m not responsible for what happened. All I can control is how I live pray. And that is truly all anyone can control.
    Revisionist history will not help
    Removing history will not help
    Replaying history will not help.
    Learning from it, improving from it, moving forward from it is all hat will help.

• Winner Winner x 3
  20. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    Well then that is ok I guess…

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1