Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

No excuse, Napier needs to go

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by largartos, Aug 31, 2024.

1. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I’d guess the search is on as it became obvious without a shadow of a doubt yesterday. We have bought on single
    most schools want their coaches to win and they look the other way if the bag is delivered in a gray area. Then you want to mess with his money for doing his job? Paying millions for sucking at his job is a totally different Dabo doe
    snt have the horses to play with Georgia but he has proven he can given the talent. How much he misses his old staff is questionable but given the money to hire a staff, he would probably get it right eventually.

2. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Idaho? That ain’t Kirby and puppies. More like kiddy pool. Much more talent and still struggling

3. tec68

tec68 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 12, 2010
    Vero Beach
    23-5 at Oregon is probably like 40-12 at Louisiana.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    Don't need bodies, need players.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. swamp life

swamp life All American

Aug 12, 2017
    Jacksonville
    talking with one of my buddies a week or two ago. I told him that even though we are playing the hardest schedule. I just wanted to see us battling the top Teams to the end. We could be a better team than last year and have the same or even worse record. I just wanted to see improvement. I was extremely let down on Saturday. It seems like we have Regressed. I have been a supporter of Billy until now. It may be time to look elsewhere.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    That's been the case for years now hence why we are "satisfied" with bodies though.

7. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    It is a terrible positive that this has gone so exceedingly poorly that we will get a new coach. Eeking out a close loss and 5 wins might have divided Gator nation but everyone can see (especially money guys) that BN has failed. Regardless of our AD and interim president.

Who will it be? Who knows. People saying kidding is unrealistic ignore that he is very unlikely to win a nattie at ole miss. Guy has money - he doesn’t have titles. But who knows.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. magnafides

magnafides GC Hall of Fame

Aug 1, 2009
    South Florida
    No thank you. Dabo has not adapted to what College Football is. Clemson has ZERO transfers in the past 3 years. We don't need another stubborn HC.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  9. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    we were always saying this in the other forum about how he shoulda hired an OC. Nothing was gonna change play calling wise this year

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. lizardbreath

lizardbreath GC Hall of Fame

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    I'm going to try to refrain from hyperbole this morning, but there are some things I really need to get off my chest:

- Billy's single-minded reliance on "process" and analytics has served as a crutch for a good person who is pretty much devoid of native coaching acumen or instinct. That crutch was kicked out from under him for good yesterday and revealed a good man as a bad P-5 HC.
    - There will be another round of the frustration and turmoil that come with trying to lure a proven winner to a badly broken "has been" program - which is exactly what we are at this juncture. It won't be easy or pleasant, but it absolutely has to be done, period.
    - After yesterday's display of ineptitude and fecklessness, uncertainty and the fear of failing once again are preferrable to the misery of the status quo. This ship hasn't just sailed, it is lost at sea without a competent captain.
    - The only hint of light in this bleak picture is that we should have no illusions about the nature of our situation now. The only question is what will we or can we do about it.
    - Billy has lost much of the fanbase after another shockingly poor performance at the worst possible moment. We have officially passed the point of no return with this staff.
    - I was wrong about Billy, but now I just want to own the mistake and move on. Que sera, sera.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  11. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    His stubborness to remai “process-oriented” is what has him in this hole.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. cheatng8tr

cheatng8tr Junior

Dec 10, 2021
    Point taken about the transfers. However, when it comes to Xs and Os, he is light years ahead of Napier. It would be much easier for Dabo to adapt to the transfer environment than to have a guy who just doesn't have a clue how to run an SEC team. Also, don't take this as I'm against Kiffin. I recognize his offensive brilliance but he's just a guy who has that vibe around him that makes you feel uncomfortable. You can't quite put your finger on it but you know something is off. I want to win but not at all costs.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. devincdoss

devincdoss Senior

Aug 9, 2017
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I mean this is the definition of insanity. What do we think is gonna change? It’s been the same thing for 3 years now lol.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Terrible effort by George

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. doublewhammy

doublewhammy Junior

Nov 19, 2016
    Although said in derision, the more I think about it, the more this seems like it has some possibilities. Let the world know that Napier will not be here after 2025. Sure our program would disintegrate, but we're not far from that now. If we retain him until 2025, we would have honored our contract and saved a lot of money by not executing a buyout. That money would go to a new contract for a new coach. It would give Napier the option of resigning gracefully without us having to buy him out. That would say something about his character. It would signal that the job is open and would have a full two years for a coaching search. Napier has killed this program and recovery in this era will take a unicorn hire. If one just happens to show up before 2025, we can fire Napier and execute a buyout then.

P.S. FIRE STRICKLAND

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  16. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    This reminded me of two songs... Grand Funk Railroad's, I'm Your Captain and Kansas, Point of No Return... Lol... better memories than I'll have of this coaching staff.

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    "may be" o_O

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I'm sorry that you are hurting Liz. I can tell you love your Gators. I was concerned that this might be Napier's Waterloo moment based on the past, but was willing to wait and see. I didn't even envision that it could go this poorly.

Please, the next time I post that we should be improved because "the Defense can't possibly be worse, can it?" will someone slap me.

19. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Why don’t we start with hiring an AD that actually went to UF and is a true Gator. One that bleeds Orange and Blue

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  20. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Respectfully....

We're not dealing with a corpse.

The talent is there. We're dealing with a capable aircraft with solid engineering, that can't seem to fly. You say burn the aircraft... I say hire a @#$%n pilot that knows how to @#$%^n fly a plane.

I could pilot a Boeing 747 with a .2 BAC better than Napes can coach this football team to play close to its potential (I haven't so much as a private plane, or even a drone, license).

We hired an engineer--who did a fine job of engineering.

We need a pilot.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1