Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

NIL - Will Florida hoops compete?

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Mar 29, 2023.

1. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    as fyi this is incorrect. The state NIL law applied to all college athletes in Florida regardless of public or private. There was zero distinction. Indeed, Miami womens hoops was put on probation for NIL violations.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. gatorific

gatorific VIP Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Of course, no argument - but like I said, for me it was more a feeling that his teams didn’t reach potential
    There was no tournament, but for example, the Blackshear, Nemb, KJ, Mann, Lewis , Locke, etc… team that was preseason #6 underperformed during the season.
    And the 2020 tournament featured a near “snatch defeat from the jaws of victory “ vs Va Tech , and the Oral Roberts game

The signature Wisconsin win was very similar to Va Tech in that we had a decent lead ( maybe 8-10 ish points in the last 2 mins , dont know for sure, but definitely led by 3 with under 5 sec like VT) and needed Chiozzas buzzer beater to get the win.

Pretty sure we blew a 15-18 point lead vs Nevada as well before eking out a 1 possession win

I liked the White hire initially- was excited about his youth , ability to relate to players , and family ties to the one of blue bloods of college hoops - had visions of eventual home and home with Duke ( another blown late lead)
    Was firmly in his corner until the aforementioned Blackshear team

anyways , enough said ,crossing my fingers for Coach Golden and hopefully deriving some pleasure from being a diehard Gator hoops fan

3. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    As long as the schools - you know, the place where professors and grad assistants teach you for perhaps three to five years before you pass enough coarse work to graduate with a degree - are willing to prostitute admissions FBO of a business that borrows their name and likeness it's relevancy to student anything for athletes is a farce.

The past wasn't perfect. But. the present seems worse and is a strain on my interest and I'm sure many others.

• Winner Winner x 2
  4. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I don’t have a problem with the current transfer portal rules, but the NIL, which allows colleges with huge NIL funds to buy teams, is going to ruin college sports.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Irony is a fickle bitch
    Thanks for the correction. My mistake, repeating something I didn't confirm.

• Like Like x 1
  6. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Yep, my interest is already beginning to wane.

7. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Source?

8. Singaporegator

Singaporegator GC Hall of Fame

Please….?

9. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    Transfers on the whole are good for kids that fell into a situation where they never got the PT they wanted or they just don't care for the people in the program or just want a fresh start in another town or state. I guess my biggest problem is with the once and done guys - either playing pro or transferring - that are students only by the most liberal interpretation. Eventually, I suspect being a professional in a sport at one time will no longer hinder play in that sport for a UAA.

10. DuvalGator

DuvalGator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Last 5 years conference record: 9-9, 9-7, 11-7, 9-9, 11-7

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    What are we paying Yale kid?

12. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    He's getting the Dill NIL Deal. Compensated with top-quality pickles.

• Informative Informative x 2
  13. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    My wife is the former president of the Gainesville Yale Alumni Club. I’ll see if maybe he can have dues-free membership

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    Where did you learn this?

15. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    NIL has done a number of college sports. We're going to have to step it up if we want to field competitive teams.

16. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    You can’t just declare that we will not win under the current dynamics. You don’t know that. Golden has a very nice squad shaping up for next year. Aberdeen, Kugel, Jarvis, Haugh. If that doesn’t get you excited, then I don’t know what to tell you. I was a big Mike White fan, but I have embraced Coach Golden, and ultimately I think he will do us proud.

• Like Like x 3
  17. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    The roster has a good nucleus in Richard, Kugel, Jarvis, Fudge, Aberdeen, Haugh, and the Aussie, but there need to be more good pieces before we can get back to the NCAAT. Too many question marks right now. I haven't seen enough of Aberdeen to know what he can do, and Fudge is up-and-down. And we can't count on incoming freshmen to be SEC-ready.
    In my view, we need an experienced point guard and big man. The next few weeks are huge for Gator basketball.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Add Shimmy. That makes 8. We seem to have 7 high IQ players who are all unselfish, plus Fudge. Hopefully, Fudge learns to be a high IQ team player. He oozes with athleticism. The film on Haugh and Condon looks good. If TG wants 13 scholarship players, it seems to me that we should add one more player who can play the 5, one legitimate point guard and a few swing men. I don’t view Clayton as a true point based on what I have heard about him, but I have not watched any film of him.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. bike1014

bike1014 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2010

The original post was about UF competing on the NIL front, not on the court. So my comment is that I don't think we'll compete with other NIL deals.

Regarding on court play, it's way too early to determine one way or another how we'll look this next season.

Overall, I really like Golden, but if we don't compete with NIL - then he simply has his hands tied. That's just my opinion.

As far as being very engaged as a fan - my only requirement is that we don't underachieve (based on whatever talent we have) and that we play really hard. I thought the team did that this past season (far better than in previous years). Like AKA said, we just didn't have the dudes....I agree, and that was obvious very early on for me.

20. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    I understand your point was about NIL. My response was in that context of the team you can assemble with our current level of NIL execution. Also, NIL didn't determine thi year's Final Four. It also didn't get Bama or TAMU to the playoffs in football. Don't focus on NIL, focus on the talent.

• Like Like x 1