Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Nick Saban Retires

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 62gator, Dec 31, 2023.

1. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    Transfer portal and NIL say hello.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    The grind is real, college football coaching is a younger guys game now.

"There's no illness. Miss Terry's fine. I'm fine. But it was the 'Can you sustain the season from just a mental grind standpoint?' When I was young, you know, I could work till two in the morning, get up at six and be there the next day and be full of energy and go for it, but when you get a little older that gets a little tougher and I'm sure a lot of people can relate to that," Saban said Thursday on "SportsCenter."

"I just have a high standard for how I do things and if I don't feel like I'm living up to that standard, I'm really disappointed," Saban said. "I wasn't disappointed in the season. I wasn't disappointed in the team. I wasn't disappointed in the players. In fact, this team was fun to coach and they came a long ways and I was really proud of the way everybody bought in and did what they did to have the success that we had. But at the same time, I felt like I could have done a better job if I was younger."

He’s gonna be miserable in retirement though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I agree. How has running off our last three coaches worked for us?

We need to stay the course with Napier. It will only be an extra year or two to see if things work. That will hardly set the program back significantly, and we can at least feel like we gave him a fair opportunity. And, if we do part ways, prospective coaching candidates will be more likely to come, knowing that they will get a fair shot at succeeding.

This new coach every three years or so is going to kill the program and the fire everybody right away crowd is incredibly short sighted.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  4. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    That statement is based on a large assumption: that it needs to be done eventually.

And when is "eventually"?

5. ufstrong57

ufstrong57 Junior

Nov 13, 2023
    Sounds a lot like BN :D

6. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. gatormonk

gatormonk GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    If we had a coach that for 16 straight seasons won 6 NC and at least 10 wins every season, we'd probably do that too. Heck, we almost did that with Spurrier and Saban's record is 5 times that of Steve.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. RealGatorFan

Apr 3, 2007
    My $$$ is Bama will hire no one in the Vegas Top 8. It'll end up being a DC/OC with almost zero coaching experience to hand Bama 2 or 3 seasons of mediocrity until they land Lanning. No one in the Top 8 wants to follow Saban and no amount of money will woo them. It's about egos and to follow him means 100% certainty they will fall short of his shadow.

And Dabo is not on the list at all. Bama fans would rather take a chance on Deon than on Dabo.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. Gatorfred

Gatorfred GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2012
    Apparently Eli may be coming
    https://footballscoop.com/news/update-at-alabama-kalen-deboer-mike-norvell-tommy-rees-nick-saban

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Pour out a little liquor…

12. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    Ah, thank you for that glancing blow. And I will riposte with “In the event of a third disastrous season — Heavens forbid — then perhaps what we really need is a coaching staff with proven aptitude in the Portal and NIL departments.” So the principal remains the same: if it legitimately comes down to a decision next year, then trying to keep recruits is not an excuse for accepting poor coaching. Let’s just get someone who knows how to coach and how to manage talent. I would love to be proven wrong, but right now I’m seeing neither.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  13. RealGatorFan

Apr 3, 2007
    I put $500 on Rees.

14. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    You posted that and I responded to that specific statement.

I’m sure players would have bolted when Zook was fired if it happened in the current landscape. That’s all I was saying. Don’t care about whatever else it is you are going on about.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    He talks here about having to spend more time on the defense this season and how it took away from all the other things he needs to focus on as the HC, interesting. I wish Billy would take notice.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2024
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. CadGator

CadGator All American

Nov 17, 2008
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Not surprised, he looked completely overwhelmed this last season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. cyberdyne

cyberdyne GC Legend

Sep 8, 2007
    Our last 3 coaches were WM 4 years, JM 3 years, DM 4 years. The only person who runs off coaches is the AD, unless you think cyberdyne has that power.

We waited one year too long on WM. Agree? JM lied so got canned. You dont like that? DM got fired by SS. What on earth are you talking about? BN will get his 3rd year. If we dont make a bowl yet again he will be gone. If he does, he will likely get a 4th year. Its up to BN. Its not up to the fans. You have delusions that fans decide ANYTHING. What will kill a program is having very little talent on the roster when looking for an exceptional coach to come save our program. Good thing we havent done that before.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2024
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  18. terminator3

terminator3 Sophomore

Sep 27, 2014
    At 54 years old he would be about a 20 year coach there. Perfect fit for Bama.

It would be very difficult for him to lose very often. Bama would keep rolling. Along with UGA.

19. terminator3

terminator3 Sophomore

Sep 27, 2014
    A much different situation now than during Zook's time.

• Agree Agree x 4