Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

NFL Scouts Suggest AR’s Poor Performance Was CBN’s Fault?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by uftaipan, Mar 6, 2023.

1. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    Lamar turned down 45 a year FULLY guaranteed.

• Creative Creative x 1
  2. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Well he’s an idiot then because that’s pretty much top 5 money and…. Guaranteed. I’d never guarantee that kind of money to a running qb tgat spent so much time on the bench going into the contract. 30 year old running qbs don’t happen often. You’d more than likely end up paying for a bunch of bench time and a qb similar to the last few years Cam was in the league.

3. DeepPurpleGator

DeepPurpleGator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 13, 2007
    I would not have thought this a month ago, but I could actually see the Colts pick Anthony Richardson at #4. if Detroit takes him at #6, it's a much better situation for him, because he can learn from Goff and be a situational athletic weapon for an improving Lions team. If he lasts until #8 and Atlanta doesn't take him, there's no telling how far he falls then. Will be interesting.

4. staticgator

staticgator GC Legend

Nov 27, 2016
    A lot of draft people are settling on the Colts for him.

5. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Tallest midget? All kidding aside, your statement is true and a truly sad situation for UF to find itself in considering our long history of excellent QB play. Only 1.75 years of outstanding QB play in 13 years. You probably have to go back to pre-Spurrier to find an era as ugly as the current one.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

And thank you too buddy, for explaining to me that this in fact a message board. I might have to push back though on the ridiculous notion that not everybody needs to think like me :cool:

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
  7. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Similar I guess, except Campbell played longer and better, hence he is a HOFer.
    (Big fan here).

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Loved Campbell. Lived in Houston at the time he graduated from Texas and was drafted by the Oilers (side note - I went to the Cotton Bowl when #1 Texas with Campbell was beaten by ND). The Oilers with Campbell were fun to watch and he was truly an amazing running back. Had the combination of upper body strength and acceleration that few ever have. Don’t know if you recall a MNF game in Houston against my Dolphins. An iconic game. All the blue and white Pom poms in the Astrodome. One for the ages. Earl Campbell may be the best running back I ever saw play the game.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Campball was pretty much a shell of himself by 30. Don’t remember exactly but with the Saints, he wasn’t all that anymore

10. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    I actually lived in Houston in the fall of 77 for 3 months and became an Oilers fan. Don't recall that mnf gm but I was living in Miami when Houston came to town in late 78 or 79 and saw Campbell in the OB literally carry the Oilers to victory. Think he carried 30+ times in a defensive battle. Pastorini was the QB.

11. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    No doubt, probably should have said played longer better, not just longer. I just don't think of Campbell and Newton as being in the same conversation. Yea, I'm a bit biased. :cool:

12. urbangirl

urbangirl VIP Member

Oct 15, 2007
    You left out back flips on sidelines.

• Like Like x 1
  13. bigkid12

bigkid12 All American

Sep 18, 2007
    So a guy who's about to go top 10 in the draft, as a QB, is not talented as a QB? My god. Can you guys just quit while you're behind.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. bigkid12

bigkid12 All American

Sep 18, 2007
    Those are abilities you work on to maximize your talent. Foot work, film study. Those aren't talents. Coaching and systems are huge for QB's.

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  15. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Yep Dan Pastorini.
    Bum Phillips ran Earl Campbell into the ground in less than 4 years.
    Remember Billy White Shoes Johnson ?

The Houston Oilers we’re the best team to never make it to the Super Bowl. Why? Because they were both in the AFC Central and therefore had to play the Steelers 3 times every season - one in Houston, one in Pittsburgh, and again in the AFC championship game - which was always in Pittsburgh because the Steelers had the better record - and oh by the way were the best team in the NFL those years.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Houston was a fun place to live in the late 70s. Place was booming

17. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    We will see. There have been many.

18. 31g8r

31g8r GC Hall of Fame

Oct 20, 2013
    According to Oxford languages:

Talent is natural aptitude or skill.

Therefore you are incorrect AR neither possessed or demonstrated talent at playing the position. He is blessed with athleticism see post #261. In order to demonstrate talent he needs to excel at the finer points of playing the position. Others have enumerated those ad nauseam in other replies to this thread.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Wasn't there long, but have always thought of it as a great sports town, with college alums there from all over. Lot of Gators there. SW version of Atlanta in that regard I think. I saw the Gators run over, through and around Rice in football. Also caught a couple baseball games in the old Astrodome.

Unfortunately, I was there at the end of the recession, so no jobs. I will say Houston is the only place I've lived with worse humidity than Florida and flooded on a regular basis.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. novagator

novagator Junior

Jun 20, 2014
    I guess that I’m an idiot then. I’ve never seen a Gator QB try <insert opposite of try hard here>.