Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

NFL Scouts Suggest AR’s Poor Performance Was CBN’s Fault?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by uftaipan, Mar 6, 2023.

1. LS1

LS1 All American

Sep 9, 2015
    Marysville, OH
    Napier and the staff obviously see something in Mertz. They do what good coaches do; they identify talent, recognize certain traits, and see potential in players to fit the mold of what they want to accomplish. All Mertz has to do is play like he's capable of playing and if the fit is right and he gets the support, it'll all work out. His numbers within Wisconsin's offense, whether you look at general stats or the advanced stuff, really doesn't matter at this point. You look at the player's background, the projections, the film, and you hope for the best.

Anthony Richardson was our most valuable player last season, and I don't think you'll hear many folks suggest otherwise. Yes, he showed flashes of brilliance. Yes, his measurables and elite talent both running and throwing are undeniable. Yes, Florida's receivers were below average. Yes, the defense was absolute trash. Yes, it was a first year coaching staff. But that's not what this thread is about.

The bottom line is that AR was far too inconsistent throwing the ball, and I'm really not sure if his lack of accuracy came from his mechanics or something mental (lack of confidence) or both, or what exactly. I'll never say he didn't try hard enough or didn't care enough or any of that. Like many others (Brantley, Driskel, etc) he just didn't live up to his potential for one reason or another. If you actually watched him play this year, you would realize there's a lot of "what could have been" moments.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  2. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    sure his numbers are better but we still wouldn’t win enough games bc of the D

If he had a good D, good pass catchers and better short accuracy we probably win the national title

3. LS1

LS1 All American

Sep 9, 2015
    Marysville, OH
    Agreed.

I'm glad to see you are capable of understanding context instead of just throwing around numbers like it's fantasy football.

4. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Better short accuracy is paramount in actually meaning being a better qb

• Like Like x 2
  5. northgagator

northgagator GC Hall of Fame

The bolded comments high light were mentioned in the weekly game films that were posted on this forum.

AR was not trash. On the other hand he constantly misfired in games. Even in games were he was having a great game.

It would be safe to say that his misfired moments are what lead a lot of people to say that AR did not live up to his potential.
    The question that should be discussed is why did AR have these moment of misfiring?

My guess is that AR issues were related to his first two years at UF were during Dan Mullen's inept running of the program (a lack of focus, coaching, and retaining players). Thus AR was not fully ready to step up into the starting QB job with Napier.

AR was clearly the best QB on the team and Napier had to go with him. I do not know if any coaching staff could of coached up AR in one season to reach his potential. Especially when there were 100 plus other player that need coaching up as well.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I’m not high on zmullen as a head coach but qbs have done just fine on his watch. I don’t buy that ARs faults are from Mullen.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Matthanuf06

Sep 13, 2007
    Of course. Nobody said he was great and nobody said he is a finished product.

This thread (see title) is making it seem like he had a poor year and poor performance.

8. Matthanuf06

Sep 13, 2007
    Numbers are the objective reality of performance. Far better than just some random eye test

9. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    He’s extremely gifted and average at this point. I hope he’s all pro in a few years.

10. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    I don’t know about that. Throwing him out there against UGA for his first start just because the fans were on his ass … it felt like a “I’ll show you” moment, so he could prove to everyone that he’s the smartest guy in the room. And we know how tender Anthony is …that didn’t help, and I think it made it worse.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. LS1

LS1 All American

Sep 9, 2015
    Marysville, OH
    Numbers can be very useful when proper context is applied. None of the stuff you said about Mertz needing to do this, that, or the other made any sense whatsoever.

That "random eye test" is why NFL scouts see Richardson as a top-10 pick. They have the intelligence to look beyond the stat sheet.

12. Gatorborn

Gatorborn GC Legend

Jul 11, 2014
    South Carolina
    I agree, I blame Mullen for giving up on recruiting and leaving behind a mediocre supporting cast for AR.
    The exceptions, mostly, being players that Napier brought.

13. grouchygator

grouchygator Central Florida Basement Dweller VIP Member

Jan 6, 2019
    As the season progressed and well before Vandy, everything you saw was apparent in AR's play.
    The unwillingness or inability to bench him is totally on CBN, he is leaving the AB room too thin.

• Creative Creative x 1
  14. Matthanuf06

Sep 13, 2007
    Im sorry it doesn’t make sense to you but it’s pretty clear. We know ARs production had him as an average/good QB. We know Mertz doesn’t run and we have his passing history. It’s just basic math to figure out how much Mertz has to improve to = AR.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. northgagator

If you comment is accurate, then please explain the why AR had the misfires that we saw? Napier only had a few months with AR, while Mullen had two full years.

• Creative Creative x 1
  16. cyberdyne

cyberdyne GC Legend

Sep 8, 2007
    can u elaborate on throwing the program under the bus?

17. thom1507

thom1507 All American

Oct 13, 2019
    The average time in the league for a first round pick is a little over 3 years. It really doesn't matter how good or bad ARs stats were or could have been. The odds are certainly better to be 1st round, but it is hardly a guarantee to a long career. Most do not.

As bad as AR was against KY, I have to also give him credit for playing very well against UT. I just think AR would have a better chance for a longer NFL career had he come back for another year (or transferred). He needs more experience in game as a qb. I think in this class, Stroud, Young and even Bennett have shown it is in their mental makeup to perform or thrive in the moment where AR struggled maintaining focus. AR did improve in that regard as the season went on, IMO, but he is behind. I am not certain he really has the mentality to be a qb, but time will tell. One thing for sure, the spotlights will be even brighter in the NFL.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. northgagator

I understand you feelings but please tell me who did Napier have in the wings to step in and play QB. The likely option was Jalen Kitna but he got arrested. The next QB (Miller) standing was not ready for prime time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    His lack may be his own fault? Give it a Fred years and see. Maybe he just needs more time, it’s not necessarily coaches. It’s not like you and me coached him. He was at UF, not some scrub organization.

20. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    That would be the part where he suggested if his receivers could catch, he would have done better. It’s true but….