Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

NFL Scouts Suggest AR’s Poor Performance Was CBN’s Fault?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by uftaipan, Mar 6, 2023.

1. LS1

LS1 All American

Sep 9, 2015
    Marysville, OH
    Did you watch the games, or the box scores?

AR missed a ton of throws, period.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  2. Gatorborn

Gatorborn GC Legend

Jul 11, 2014
    South Carolina
    You were the one quoting stats.
    Did he miss throws? Yes
    Did the receivers drop throws? Yes
    Was this a good OL? No
    Did we avg over 30 points a game? Yes
    Did the defense help much? No
    Was he the best player on a pretty bad team? The bowl game and the mock drafts seem to agree.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. 31g8r

31g8r GC Hall of Fame

Oct 20, 2013
    Your supposition doesnt hold water. BY might have recognized the pressure presnap and hit the hot route. Guaranteed he throws a more catchable ball so his comp % would have been higher. BY also has better situational awareness thereby keeping numerous drives alive

FTR im not comparing AR’s performance against others simply against his historical record, its nondescript at best.

4. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    Many of you are getting too caught up in the numbers minutia. I never thought he was “bad” last season …and I think the vast majority who have been critical of his play don’t think he was either. A few have thrown out the term “disappointing”, which is pretty accurate. Most of us can live with mistakes… but the sullen attitude and the absence of leadership was obvious and alarming. Especially for a team that was starving for it.

A lot of people on here gave Franks a ton of shit over his starting years here. Myself included. But he was in the middle of every sideline huddle, grabbing face masks, smacking helmets and slapping asses. He was 10 times the leader Richardson was. Which is the most discerning part of AR’s game. If he is uncomfortable putting a team on his shoulders and leading them through a tough game, all the physical attributes won’t matter. He needs to get his head right.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. 31g8r

31g8r GC Hall of Fame

Oct 20, 2013
    See bold

refer to point #1. No they dont, best player or best athlete/most athletic? Clearly the latter had he been the best player we would have been better than 6-7

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Good as in an average sec qb at best. Potential but not a good qb if your talking the upper echelon of college football. He was quite average.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. LS1

LS1 All American

Sep 9, 2015
    Marysville, OH
    OK, cool. What's your point?

I think some of you have a lot of trouble following along with the actual points being discussed.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I just believe the facts. He was a decent qb for tge one year he played. He will get drafted high and make a ton of cash. He is extremely athletic and probably has the highest ceiling and lowest floor of all qbs being considered a the top of the draft.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Good points!!

10. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Great Post.

• Like Like x 1
  11. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Really well said with an interesting and accurate look at things.

12. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Haha, nope, Believe it or not there are more than a few that think AR was a good quarterback.
    It’s interesting when you say we are focusing way too much on numbers. I remember one year when chipper Jones had a pretty good year on his way to becoming a great or one of the greatest switch hitters of all time. I remember people saying he hit home-runs when it didn’t matter or padded stats when up or down by a lot. My answer never wavered… I said a homerun is still a homerun and this guy will be one of the best ever. Numbers are important and don’t lie. You and I also can’t quantify what his athleticism did to free up our running backs. Again go ask and defensive coordinator who they worried about on Florida’s offense the most. The answer is always the same in unanimous fashion.

I don’t think AR will be one of the best pro quarterbacks ever. Heck, I just hope he starts for a couple years in his career. That to me would be major considering Trask can’t even dress out and I am a huge Trask fan.

• Like Like x 1
  13. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    I don’t know how anyone who isn’t in the locker room or in the huddle can make such a definitive statement on a QBs leadership ability. Grabbing helmets and facemasks and slapping asses is performative stuff that doesn’t mean much if you’re not ultimately leading your team to wins.

14. StrangeGator

StrangeGator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Don't know how many of you were following recruiting when AR came up but he was a very raw HS QB, high three-star to low four-star even accounting for his athleticism. We're talking borderline Antwan Chiles and not even nearly as good as Cam Newton who was behind Brantley his redshirt freshman year and wasn't even allowed to throw a single pass that year. '23 was always going to be his breakout year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    or a fouth, he didn't ahve 300 lb lineman running at him at the combine. sterile environment throwing on air to known routes

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Maybe, but that's not what I recall. I recall many posters in 2021 saying he was a Heisman candidate in 2022 after his USF relief performance. Overhyped imo.

17. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee Moderator VIP Member

Sep 15, 2007
    Well, I wasn't in the locker room and can only speak to what I saw in front of me the entire game in Nashville. AR was distancing himself both when the D was on the field and in huddles with Coach Napier and the rest of the offense during TV timeouts. I saw a surprising lack of interaction with his fellow Gators. I guess you're right, he could have been a monster in the locker room and completely different on the field . . . but I seriously doubt it. Then there's body language after a play which is something else. Others who went to others games can also chime in but you get a completely different perspective from the front rows of an actual game.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    I was saying he may be first overall this year back then and I was proven right. Heisman is a team award.

An average pass catching group + an average D and he’s in NY for the ceremony

• Funny Funny x 3
  19. LS1

LS1 All American

Sep 9, 2015
    Marysville, OH
    ^ fixed

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. LS1

LS1 All American

Sep 9, 2015
    Marysville, OH
    No, they aren't good points, because those "points" were completely irrelevant in our discussion.

Not really. As good as AR's rushing numbers were, they could have been a lot better. Common theme regarding AR. Was he elite when running the ball? Yes, but he was also far too hesitant to run at times when he had the opportunity.

No, not well said at all, and quite frankly it's an absolutely ridiculous "look" at things.

These numbers don't make a lick of sense. Like I said earlier, you can't just plug and play stats and assume production would be working from the same parameters. Need an example? OK, let's go with AR's rushing stats. What would have happened if he didn't have all those carries and all those gains? Go ahead and subtract them from our total stats. Without AR, would we have just punted the ball on those downs? No, a lot of that production would have been made up elsewhere, either in AR's passing yards or rush yards to one of our tailbacks. Would we have been as effective? Very unlikely, but it's just an example of another false equivalence.

My other point about all the variables between different teams, players, coaches, and situations? Let's take a look at Wisconsin in 2022. Mertz threw the ball 286 times. Wisconsin ran the ball 474 times, not including the "carries" from Mertz (half of which were sacks). So unless you think Paul Chryst is coming here to run our offense, what the hell does Mertz's 2022 stat line matter? Mertz, Miller, or any QB under the sun should greatly exceed those passing numbers under Napier just from sheer volume alone. The key will be executing the offense and throwing an accurate ball, no matter who is under center.

Yeah, I think he was a good quarterback too. Never said he wasn't. I just said he didn't live up to his insane potential, and was wildly inaccurate far too often. I think that's a fair assessment. Go watch the Kentucky game again if you still disagree.

Because you're focusing on numbers without factoring in any logic. Focus on some numbers that matter, and that's a completely different conversation.

• Like Like x 2