Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

New System

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by atlmover, May 25, 2024.

1. G8tas

G8tas GC Hall of Fame

Sep 22, 2008
    I'm all for it but I wouldn't watch it. If my son was given the option of the two I would tell him to go and get paid

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. ufmc84

ufmc84 All American

Aug 13, 2017
    I long for the purity of the sport too. The face mask and forward pass have ruined the game.

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    In a way, yeah. Hopefully it wouldn't be too bad, but there would be nothing to stop the professional league from poaching players from the college league. Best hope would be that limited rosters and limited number of teams would keep that to a minimum. But I'm sure the professional league would come up with myriad other skeevy ways to ruin the college league.

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2024
  4. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Especially with fantasy football drawing peoples’ attention to the MFL — RedZone and all the trappings

Last edited: May 27, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    No player with an option picks this hypothetical league. The ship has sailed on playing in front of 10's of thousands of paying customers with frequent commercial breaks and not getting shit for it.

6. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Yes. It would really hurt the schools not in the super league. Good for players I guess but would suck for fans and coaches and players left behind to be getting poached regularly. One of the reasons I don't like the NFL taking college players after 2 years.

7. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    The portal is doing that already actually, it’s helping Vandy and Mississippi State

8. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    Perhaps, but before giving that advice, consider:
    - 1.6% of college football players make an NFL roster (out of 1.1M high school football players, 250 make an NFL Roster)
    - Average NFL career is 3 years with median earnings of <$1M/year for those that make a roster. If 3 years is the average, many players have 1 or 2 year careers.
    - 80% of NFL players report “serious financial trouble” or go bankrupt after retiring

Like school? Top computer science folks earn $125k+ early. New York law firms start associates at $240k/year (risk a mental health breakdown or NFL CTE?). And you don’t have a 2-3 year earnings clock or fear being 1 injury from not working. They don’t like school, HVAC contractors make $70k and well over $200k if you are experienced (and can run a business). If they are such a great athlete, push them to golf, baseball or basketball. All of which offer better earning opportunities with longer careers and lower risk.

Sure, now a kid can make good cash on NIL in college so that evens things up a bit, but I would still steer a kid toward most paths other than the NFL. Statistically it is a high risk sucker bet.

One other observation in all this. Folks keep asking “what is the effect of all this money going to football/hoops players going to be on other sports/athletes (minor sports)?” My response is “what about them?” Yes, Tim Walton is unlikely to make millions and not sure our softball team will fly everywhere or get another new stadium. So what. Women’s softball, track, etc existed long before all this money and can continue to exist after. The teams may actually ride buses (yeah, the whole coast to coast conferences for football will likely have to be modified for other sports). This all is abstracted from Title IX b/c who knows how that plays out. Anyway, if a swimmer only wants to come to UF if they get a bunch of benefits derived from football/hoops TV money, I’m betting another kid will come swim for a scholarship (kind of the whole idea originally). Sure, we may not be national champs, but we’d have some student athletes.

• Like Like x 2
  9. foot

foot Senior

Mar 24, 2008
    I think colleges and universities should get back to being colleges and universities and focus on Higher education. There is nothing non profit about college football any more. A whole lot of of people are making a whole lot of profit from state funded institutions. If they are to continue a "non-profit" status they need to put salary caps on ALL including the coaches and admin and if they don't like it go pro. Baseball and basketball have a B league so can football.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Football generates its own money. Our football team isn’t hitting up the university for lunch money

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. gainesvillegreen44

gainesvillegreen44 GC Legend

Nov 5, 2015
    Omnipresent
    I have never known , nor will I know… what a kids GPA, study habits, career goals, classroom habits etc are.
    None of my business. I wish them luck and hope they succeed but DON’T CAAAAARE. 99% of us want a good product on the field

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. foot

foot Senior

Mar 24, 2008
    Yes, but it is all interconnected. Scholarships, the land, facilities, stadium, logos, the education all belongs to the university. The very things they are offering and selling. Didn't FSU get a bunch of tax payer money to build or remodel there football facilities? Yet, their players and coaches are getting that profit?

13. foot

foot Senior

Mar 24, 2008
    I agree, but it was the college game and atmosphere which made me fall in love with it. These entitled kids who could careless which logo is on their helmet is kind of killing that deal. I loved the idea of once a Gator always a Gator it made the game mean so much more.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    People need to be part of something bigger than themselves. Unfortunately, more and more often they think it's money.

15. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    The players are getting booster money and the entire sports program is being funded by football?

16. foot

foot Senior

Mar 24, 2008
    Then FSU's renovations should be funded by football. I'm trying to find a way to legally kill that program.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Sure it should the the school takes tgat cash too. We should be pissed at tge players though

18. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    If UF played in such a league, I would watch 100%. There are layers to this stuff. Talent isn’t the end all of football. I haven’t watched an NFL game in years. There would an audience for this kind of league. Just bring in schools with big enough fan bases.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    That's pretty much what the poster you quoted said. The aside would be that w/o the university, the football team wouldn't be profitable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Sure there would be an audience. Just not one large enough to generate the TV money it would take to maintain the facilities and pay off the debt that has been incurred by the schools that have a big enough fan base.

If UF broke away to play "amateur" football, it would lose the 60 million it gets from the SEC media rights deal.