Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

New Florida law requires high schoolers to take financial literacy class

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by studegator, Jun 23, 2023.

1. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    Forget Macro and micro. Personal finance is all you need in high school. It’s all most kids will ever need.

In fact, the only thing kids really might need is to be taught “don’t sign on the dotted line until you read and comprehend the terms.”

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Although you are powerless to negotiate the terms

3. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    Correct but you are not powerless to refuse to sign them. That is a form of negotiation.

4. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    ...the value of a buck...

...where money comes from (ie work--as opposed to mom n dad, the State/govmt, borrowing...)...

...how to, and the importance of keep(ing) books and balanc(ing) budgets...

...the importance of saving...

...the power of compounding interest...

....the notion of financial slavery, and financial plantations via interest rates...

....the potency of entrepreneurialship, and adding value to products/services...

So I'd submit a fair bit more than *read the fine print before signing* (though that's certainly a fundamental point).

5. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    Plus I think that folks are best served by having *some* basic understanding of economic policy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. dabigunit

dabigunit GC Hall of Fame

Apr 29, 2007
    The education system is basically controlled by the left. Go be a conservative and go on campus and see how it goes for you. Mobs of brainwashed left wingers will try to silence you and your right to speak. It's worse now than ever though.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  7. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Oligopolies in necessary or desirable industries say otherwise. My Spectrum Wi-Fi

8. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    We leftists have conspired to cleverly manipulate the educational system to make our opponents sound incredibly ignorant in their public musings, and we are plainly being successful

• Like Like x 1
  9. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    You would be correct if the Ben Stein/Ferris Bueller approach was taken for this subject matter. But with today’ simulation and modeling software it would be very easy to interweave some very real decision/outcome/consequence into the curriculum.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  10. swampbabe

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    I’ve spent 41 years working with teenagers of all ability levels. Trust me on this

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    Have you spent any time with simulation and modeling software? Will all get engaged? No. All are never engaged, and that’s not just high school. But I guarantee that 18 weeks of basic economics and personal finance with simulations will give the majority of students the proper foundation for success. If nothing else maybe they can learn that AT&T isn’t giving them their iPhone. That taking our student loans has a consequence that their degree may not support. And that leasing cars you can’t afford to buy is never a good idea.

You should open your aperture on this by a few stops. This is not traditional subject matter that lectures, homework, and tests lend themselves to.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. swampbabe

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    Thanks for explaining my job/expertise to me. You truly are a renaissance man. You appear to know everything about everything. Kudos

Economics is ALREADY a required 18 week class. This class would be in addition.

Instead of me opening my aperture a few stops, perhaps you should close your mouth a few stops. Deal?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. AgingGator

Apr 24, 2007
    In an earlier post several weeks ago I acknowledged that I had been disrespectful of you and apologized. I see now that that sentiment was misplaced on my part. Trust me, I don’t make the same mistake twice. Your closed mindedness deserves no respect.

My wife and one of my daughters are both teachers. You will not find anyone who supports good teachers more than me, nor someone who loathes poor ones and the unions that protect them. That said, your approach here to this matter sucks. I don’t care what you think your credentials are. You want to use the same old, often failed tactics that you always have. You’re “I’m the expert here, you’re wrong” is a bunch of hogwash and is doomed to fail. 6-8 weeks won’t teach these kids shit and you will lose over half by week two of your lectures.

I’m no renaissance man, but I do know how to recognize a problem, and get outside expertise to resolve it. Often times that means a change in people, approaches and methods.

I bet you are just a joy to work with. Do you bring the caustic personality to the classroom? If so, I truly feel sorry for your students who dare to question the self anointed Queen.

As for telling me what to do, I think you know what you can do with that. Glad my kids were educated in Seminole county and not Brevard.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2023
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  14. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Now they need financial literacy for all adults

• Like Like x 1
  15. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    18 weeks sitting at a computer running simulations? No thanks and you expect 15yr olds to dig it? You should trust babe on this. It's not about educating your one or two or three kids. It's a class of teenagers.

16. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Which makes you as knowledgable as a person with 35+ years of teaching experience? :emoji_thinking:

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. swampbabe

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    You don’t think that you insulted me? Please.

Again, you’re way out of your lane here. You have no idea what I did in the classroom, although there are posters here that do.

You are clueless about scheduling, curriculum, and standards. How much simulation do you think that you can do with a shitty Chromebook?

You’re pissed because you were wrong about the course.

And BTW, I was a joy to work with.

• Like Like x 1
  18. swampbabe

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    Someone who doesn’t know squat telling educators how to do their jobs? Yawn, what’s new :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Rude. What did Chromebooks ever do to you?

• Funny Funny x 2