Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

New age CFB: pre NFL with no caps

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Rkb75, Dec 15, 2023.

1. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Nope. Clearly there are caps there.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  2. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Who knows but Fred talked about it.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Watched Josh Pate's latest video and he says Chip Kelly nailed the solution and called out all coaches for not having the balls to speak about it. Kelly did at his pre-game conference before their bowl win and spoke at length and slams every P5 HBC for not even bringing it up. Here it is:

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. atlmover

atlmover GC Legend

Feb 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    I would rather watch less talented AMATEUR athletes as long as the playing field is level then the SS that college football has devolved into

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    The Ivy League is there for you

6. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    True. Both FSU and Notre Dame sucked in 21 but still put on a good game.

7. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    As has been mentioned, there is plenty of that in D2, D3 and the Ivy league. They need you to take up space in their empty stadiums. UF is big time football, it will never move down a division or go back to what you pine for.

This new CFP actually offers more parity than anything we have seen. Teams can build up quickly and compete. Sure there will always be a few power teams in the sport but there have always been power teams since college football's inception.

Now more than ever lower-upper level teams can bring in pieces to allow them to take on the bluebloods. Bottom D1 can now build up with the portal to take on the middle of the pack and give some excitement to their fans. Just look at K state or Oregon St, how they improved. Duke and Mizzou are other examples that where good players that would have been stuck, barely seeing the field can now shine when they portal.

These are exciting times for college football as a whole.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  8. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Welcome to Division 2, and our pleasant 15,000-seat stadium!

9. partdopy

partdopy GC Hall of Fame

Feb 1, 2012
    Agreed. Paying kids to play for a college team should be something to be ashamed of. If you're going to do it I'd hide it too. Imagine being a competent adult and paying a high school kid to play football at your school.

NIL was a great idea. Nothing wrong with kids getting a revenue share of the schools merchandise that they represent, or getting some money for being in video games, commercials, autograph appearances. It was obvious from day 1 it would just be pay for play though which isn't compatible with what college football was. Rivalries, traditions, unique schemes, vastly different styles of football to compensate for differences in talent, etc... Now we're basically just going to get 15 or so teams that all run the same offenses and defenses with the same level of talent. Not to mention that they're professional athletes not student athletes which is kind of a foundation for college football.

Manufactured rivalries like the NFL (no more rivals then Apple and Microsoft employees), schedules to maximize revenue rather than traditional matchups and conference integrity (southeastern isn't Missouri or Oklahoma or Texas). The only difference is teams can't switch cities but since 90% of a team does free agency after a season it's the same thing really.

On the positive side I've stopped drinking since I stopped watching a bunch of football every Saturday. It's crazy how much stuff I can get done now.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    You illustrated perfectly what I meant about people liking the facade but being upset when they see the reality. I’m thinking folks have always been willfully ignorant as they like the fairytale. The only thing that’s really different that is affecting us fans is the constant free agency . The dollar amounts have gone up because NIL has brought it into the light but if you’re not the one paying, it really doesn’t affect you. This ship jumping of such a large portion of rosters with no regulation whatsoever is the only thing different from what you’ve been watching all along.

11. partdopy

partdopy GC Hall of Fame

Feb 1, 2012
    It's not willful ignorance as much as accepting people will cheat the system. No matter what you do that will happen. Acceptance is key there as the alternative is being frustrated with reality.

12. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Heating has gone on since the beginning of time and the money guys at the top don’t really want the rules enforced. It’s always been a political mess as to who they punish and how severely. I’ve always thought that pat of college ball was filthy. If you win, you were cheating, it just the way it’s always been. This is the most honest system we have ever had and it sucks too. If they could at least have contracts to stabilize the teams, it would be much better than what we have. That way if Presley and EN wanted to leave, we get something in return. Before at least they had the one year that they had to sit as some kind of deterrent of just jumping roster to roster. I am on the side as far as being compensated, but this shit is ridiculous.

13. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    It has to end up as a pro league with rules and caps and a limited number of teams. Capitalism rules.

Side note: I've been to Heavener a few times recently and the lot is full of new Chargers.

14. atlmover

atlmover GC Legend

Feb 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    So what's uf's excuse then?

These are transitional times from "college football" to something else. It may or may not be "successful".

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    This take is a bit too far. In the past, the "Phillips" or the "Winstons" were there for the duration of their "learning". Nowadays, it can be one-and-done with impunity. Once the "rules" have been established in the future, because to live like this WILL bankrupt plenty of universities, then it will be plain as day that what we have is a minor league. And THEN comes the fun: do you root for the young guys because you always did or do you find something else to do on fall Saturdays? I think the non-alumnus fans will continue but the alumni who are attached to those who experience the same things as you once did are going to dwindle.

It isn't a good thing, but it is going to be real.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I totally agree with everything you just said

17. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007

BINGO! YAHTZEE! NAILED IT!

18. librarywestpatron2005

librarywestpatron2005 Senior

Jun 29, 2020
    Yes heating has happened ever since cave people learned two sticks rubbed together can generate fire.

19. Rawpimple

Rawpimple GC Hall of Fame

May 10, 2007
    Think of the changing team dynamics too of some kids on the team that were paid a bunch, get in more ads, but maybe not as productive or even engaged as others. The pressure from the school, collective and fans on the players paid but not producing. With payments, come higher expectations and pressure. Add in social media and everything will be amplified even more.