Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Netanyahu tells Israel ‘We are at war’ after Hamas launches an unprecedented attack, killing at leas

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Gatorrick22, Oct 7, 2023.

1. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Hamas Covenant [Excerpt]

"The following is excerpted from the Hamas Covenant:
    Our struggle against the Jews is very great and very serious. It needs all sincere efforts. The Islamic Resistance Movement is but one squadron that should be supported...until the enemy is vanquished and Allah's victory is realized. It strives to raise the banner of Allah over every inch of Palestine...It is one of the links in the chain of the struggle against the Zionist invaders...

The Prophet, Allah bless him and grant him salvation, has said: "The Day of Judgement will not come about until Moslems fight the Jews (killing the Jews), when the Jew will hide behind stones and trees."

I think your next thread should discuss why we shouldn't paint the Nazis under the broad brush of anti-semitism.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Previously posted this link. Rather than the Warsaw Ghetto , a more appropriate analogy for the eradication of Hamas from Gaza is the liberation of Mosul from ISIS.
    Iraqi Forces Liberate Mosul From ISIS > U.S. Department of Defense > Defense Department News

3. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    Just a matter of time before RFK Jr is at the border making videos of Palestinians crossing over.

Sorry, I just had to attempt to add some levity to this terribly depressing situation.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    I think he just wants to send them Hallmark Cards, and hope they’ll all then be friends.

5. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Nice use of sarcasm. :D

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    That’s good to read, and I hope you’re right.

7. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    I think you completely missed the context of the reference. Resistance groups hide arms in places occupiers find objectionable, this is not particularly revelatory of anything. I dont think there is anywhere Hamas could place weapons the Israelis would say "ok, that's fine." Just the basic stupidity of the "human shields" argument. Israel has no objection to bombing civilians they have done it and will continue to do so.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  8. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    I find it pretty objectionable that people are saying Judeo-Christian morality invites evil, particularly when people say those values are what make us great or just. Seems kind of confused!

9. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    I truly think you know literally nothing about what Israel thinks or doesn’t think. I know many Israelis. Not a single one of them “has no problem” bombing civilians. Their morality of human life is very Western and exactly the same as most of us in the United States.

• Winner Winner x 4
  10. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I can't see who you are responding to, thankfully. But in judging Hamas as an organization, I don't care about the speech from 12 years ago. Rhetoric. All I need is to look at what happened over the weekend.

That doesn't solve the issue of proportionality in response and the risk to noncombatants. I don't for a minute think Hamas equals noncombatants in Gaza. And there's every moral duty in the world to distinguish the two to the greatest extent practicable.

I would advise not to engage idiots who have no real understanding of facts and are not serious in their moral reasoning

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I have little doubt that Hamas has hidden caches of arms in Gaza just as ISIS almost certainly did in Mosul. If the Israeli military does attempt to reoccupy Gaza the battle will be very with significant causalities on both sides including the Palestinian civilians and Israeli captives that Hamas is using as human shields.

12. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Lots of Americans oppose killing civilians too, that doesnt stop our government from doing it in their name

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  13. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    You get confused easily I suppose.
    You shouldn’t go through life by abiding by a philosophy that is hard and fast.
    There are gray areas and some are open to interpretation based on the situation.
    You just love to hear yourself argue.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  14. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    It’s also incredibly stupid strategy when dealing with Islamic extremists or terrorists. “An eye for an eye” doesn’t work against people who don’t value human life. It actually gives them exactly what they want. Israel could kill 50,000 civilians in retaliation for 1,000. If they don’t root out Hamas, then they will have lost. A bloodlust driven error like that would be existential level, if it cost them popular goodwill from allies and caused other neighboring states to more fully turn against them or reverse recent normalization of ties.

The mission is to root out Hamas and (likely) to establish a new civilian government in Gaza. It isn’t “revenge” or to engage in the holy war against Islamic fundamentalism.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    It does if they no longer exist. The terrorists can't kill you if they're dead. Who cares if death is what they want. The goal is eliminating the threat.

I also know you can't negotiate with these people, and you can't leave things as they are, so what options does that leave Israel with?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    When I went to church, they never told me "you cant abide by this hard and fast, there are gray areas" about what Jesus said. I dont expect people to be Jesus, but it is surprising that people who think we've lost our way as a civilization morally are like "that Bible stuff, you cant take it literally, people gotta pay for what they did." Perhaps I shouldnt be.

17. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Terrorism isn't people, its a tactic. Cant kill an ideal or a tactic.

18. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    I don’t disagree with you. Proportional isn’t eye for an eye which is what I was correcting Rick on. Proportional for killing 600 civilians may be 2 years of hunting down Hamas leaders and shooting up training bases in Iran or wherever. Not sure.

19. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    What church did you attend?
    I was raised Catholic and I can remember listening to the priest one day sometime in elementary school as a kid thinking, no chance this is all literal.
    I know you don’t think so either.

20. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    No, but you can root out specific groups as you go. In fact, that's all you can do. What's your solution? Negotiate? Do nothing?

• Agree Agree x 1