Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Netanyahu tells Israel ‘We are at war’ after Hamas launches an unprecedented attack, killing at leas

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Gatorrick22, Oct 7, 2023.

1. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Even if you want to believe that, do you think dropping bombs on those places is a good way to get back hostages?

2. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Israeli design too, if they choose to fight by Hamas's rules

3. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Not that it changes much of anything, but it appears,at least according to one of the hostages, that the Gazan homeowners are paid a handsome fee for hosting the hostages.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The difference is and it's rather significant is that Iraq played absolutely no role in the 9/11 terrorist attack. After initially trying to tie Iraq to 9/11 even the Bush Administration gave up on using 9/11 as a pretext for the Iraqi invasion and instead used the largely unsupported myth the Saddam was developing weapons of mass destruction. The October 7 terrorist attack on Israel was launched from Gaza and it was an operation of Hamas, the governing authority of the Gaza strip. In fact, the leadership of Hamas actually took credit for the attack of October 7.

5. gatorjo

gatorjo GC Hall of Fame

Feb 24, 2024
    To varying degrees, depending on varying tactics.

For example, one might have questioned my hypothetically punching your wife in the face in order to get to the criminal. One might have advocated different tactics. This might have included the very emotionally unrewarding necessity of a bit of waiting. But debating my tactics would seem pretty rational to all ,no?

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    If I had a suicide bomber vest with a detonator in my hand and my wife was preventing authorities from neutralizing me, then she’s fair game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. gatorjo

gatorjo GC Hall of Fame

Feb 24, 2024
    Great. And now make the analogy more realistic, please.

If there were a suspected terrorist who fit a profile, but probably hadn't been confirmed to have actually done anything, and was NOT wearing such a vest, then it might be reasonable to employ different tactics than physically harming your poor wife, just to enjoy the immediate satisfaction of doing something right NOW.

And next we can expand the analogy to children. Shall we chop the heads off of children behind whom criminals are physically standing?

The point is clear; there are rational amounts of tolerable collateral damage.

8. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Hamas as an organization carried out the attack. There weren’t some lone wolves.

Are you denying this happened?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    @l_boy auditioning for that lead role in "I'm gonna bury my head in the sand, sucka!!"

10. gatorjo

gatorjo GC Hall of Fame

Feb 24, 2024
    LOL, denying what happened? That Israel killed 10s of thousands of civilians, including women and children, in retaliating to a brutal terrorist attack?

What a weird question. Since when does questioning the tactics of an event equate to denying that an antecedent to that event happened? Odd.

11. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    So as long as your pretext is not a complete fabrication, you can pursue your colonial/imperial ambitions? Lots of nations have suffered terrorist attacks, very few have pursued war in the way the Russia (in Chechnya), US or Israel have. In either case, it didnt matter. The US can act in violation of international law (or lie to get around it), and so can Israel, because they are a client state of the people that will allow them to violate international law.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  12. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    When you attack enemies there is collateral damage, especially if the enemy is imbedded in the population. This isn’t difficult.

Why do you hold Israel to a different standard in war?

13. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Do you think the people critical of Israel are like "but its ok when we do it?"

14. gatorjo

gatorjo GC Hall of Fame

Feb 24, 2024
    There's no evidence to make you think Israel is being held to a standard different from anyone else. That's simply not a rational thing to say.

Let's get back to our analogy where a criminal is standing behind your wife. I am justified to punch your wife in the face several times in order to get to the criminal because there IS some collateral damage in fighting crime, correct?

Or we could avoid my analogy and your arguments justifying the Israeli war crimes and get right to the heart of the real argument; just like in my analogy, the collateral damage is excessive, indicating a need for different tactics.

15. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    What is Israel’s goal here? If it’s to create another generation of Terrorists hellbent on destroying the Jewish state. They are succeeding beyond belief.

16. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Is it excessive? Maybe. I don’t know. Collateral damage numbers I’ve seen are similar to other wars. The Gazan quoted numbers are likely bullshit.

The question is how many Israeli soldiers would they sacrifice in order to be more surgical in their efforts?

Also is not as if the Gazan population are innocent bystanders.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    perhaps. What is the alternative? Just leave Hamas be?

18. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    There are any number of alternatives and ways to delegitimize Hamas without killing anyone, its just that they aren't palatable to a Zionist/nationalist government that has rejected a two state solution and has the blank check backing of a world super power.

19. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    what are they?

The opposition in Israel also supports the war.

Palestinians are not interested in a two state solution

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  20. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Their goal is two-fold: (a) return their people from captivity; and (b) remove Hamas as the governing power in Gaza and ensure its citizens are safe (so, for example, that they don’t have to worry being near bomb shelters at all hours of the day and night).

I can appreciate those who think the goals are unattainable, but those are the goals. I’ve yet to read any realistic argument or plan by our experts on this Board as to how Israel can meet its objectives through any other path than the path of War. As someone who abhors War, I sure wish there was reasonable, realistic alternative to return the Israeli ( and other country’s) hostages and to ensure the safety of the Israeli border.

As for “creating generations of terrorists,” I can only surmise you’re unaware of the “education” of Palestinian youth, since they are literally indoctrinated at birth that Israel is the Great Evil that must be destroyed and removed.