Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Netanyahu tells Israel ‘We are at war’ after Hamas launches an unprecedented attack, killing at leas

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Gatorrick22, Oct 7, 2023.

1. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    Just because Hamas is lying does not mean Israel is being truthful. Again with the binary shit. It’s so bizarre. The world is not black and white.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    That wasn’t the question. The question was why would anyone believe Hamas was being truthful. The question was never why people question Israel. Why people want a cease fire or anything else. You just want to find fault where there is none. Why is that? Why can’t you admit that what I said was a truthful
    Absolutely correct answer that shouldn’t ( and I’m not sure why it does) trigger you. Some people choose to believe the evil barbarian rapist because they are in fact anti semites. True or false?

3. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    Again.. not the question or the issue at hand.

4. BigCypressGator1981

Oct 11, 2011
    True! Again I fully concede that some of them are straight up jew hating anti-Semites.

Now your turn: There are millions of people who are simply upset by what Israel is doing to civilians who are not in any way shape or form anti-Semitic. True or false?

5. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    Absolutely true and with a good reason. No one wants to see the innocent harmed. No one likes seeing children killed. For many many of those millions I understand. For the Palestinians who only complain, march, and protest when something bad happens from Israel( and not when Hamas , their elected ruling govt treats them as meat shields, steals their humanitarian aide to build tunnels, launches rockets at innocent civilians in Israel, ect..)… I am far more skeptical, and ha d hearted due to their lack of care and compassion ver the last decade. NOW they care? NOW they march against atrocities? No
    Now they march and cry and complain because ii is the hated JEWS doing it instead of their own people.
    Please note.. that is not a blanket statement. I HATE what is happening to women , children, fathers, in Gaza.. but not for a minute will I place more credibility on their “news release” their “numbers killed” etc when we have seen over and over that they lie straight out.

6. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    Notice also
    I’m not the one who called horseshit to what is now being called a true statement. In fact.. I think you will find it hard to find where I ever said dissent equals anti semetism across the board. I did say outright calling it genocide leads me to believe the person calling it that is anti semetic… because I can see no other reason to do so when it is clearly not ( unless you start really twisting the definition of genocide…)You never called it genocide and I never called you anti semetic.

7. BigCypressGator1981

Oct 11, 2011
    As long as you’re willing to concede that there are many protesting Israel’s actions who are not anti-Semitic, I’m good. Thanks for answering.

8. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    1. “That’s a lie! You’re antisemitic!”
    2. “They obviously deserved it!”

9. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2016
    Boulder Colorado
    He's not going to concede anything. He is obviously a very religiously observant Jew, and as such, is far too biased to engage in neutral critical thinking on this topic.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  10. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    Except I’m not and I did.
    Is reading comprehension a lost art? Home schooled? Grew up in the Alabama public school system? I mean.. it’s right there…

• Winner Winner x 2
  11. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    I'm curious why the people who say Hamas are dishonest make so much of their charter or various statements as being truthful and accurate reflections of their motivations. It seems the idea that they are liars is pick and choose. Zionists certainly take Hamas at their word about some things. They would certainly have to concede they are capable of honesty in that case, and that the anti-Semitism isn't also propaganda.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  12. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    WOW. New angle. This was a plot point in at least two thrillers, including the recent Hijack on Apple Plus. But real life

13. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    Perhaps it's similar to how we typically view admissions and statements against one's interests to be more reliable/credible than statements which are self-serving or even neutral. Probably not a perfect analogy, but I thought about an argument I have seen previously. A critic of Trump pointed out an alarming statement or admission made by Trump. One of his supporters asks why the critic assumes the admission/statement to be true when they otherwise consider Trump to be a habitual liar. I don't think most of us find that sort of argument very persuasive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    I think stylistically Trump is regarded as "honest" even though he lies all the time about pretty trivial stuff (like crowd sizes). His lack of decorum and ideological/political unsophistication makes him seem more truthful, even when lying. Hard to apply that to an organization of many people who likely believe different things. I think in organizations you get a mix of true believers and people who see it as a means to end, and don't get caught up in the ideological battle, and just go through the motions.

• Like Like x 1
  15. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    Putting aside Hamas for a second, I've thought about what I perceive to be a distinction here with respect to Trump specifically. I think what people sense with Trump is a certain degree of authenticity, which I think is different than honesty. He knows who he is and is unapologetic about it. He mostly comports himself in a way consistent with his nature - not only the need to be wealthy and powerful but also needing to be perceived as such. This authenticity/honesty distinction always reminds me of the line in Scarface when Tony said, "I always tell the truth -- even when I lie." I think that was a really great line.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I think Hamas and Trump are "honest" in parallel ways as follows: They reject the "rules". A big part of DT's appeal is that he will "go there" even if everyone else says it will do damage (Leaving NATO, debt default, rounding up enemies). His supporters are convinced that those who raise the dangerous consequences of "doing x are self-interested deep staters.

Hamas can be believed in their charter while still being liars because they have rejected he international view of sovereignty and international order. They reject all the rules - they say so in their charter, and they are not going to be worried about the consequences, whatever they may be, or "lying" about official statistics. (mind you, all nations do to an extent - a lot of "don't believe what Hamas says" is really "I don't want to believe what must be trus, even if we quibble over numbers").

Mind you, I think the lines Trump is ready to cross should be observed, and I think Hamas has shown a far more practical worldview in many cases (Bibi believed they were rational actors that could be incentivized), but ultimately were unrestrained by normal considerations. They do ultimately object Israel as no more than a "Zionist entity", not a nation.

I'm rambling. But they are both willing to what others will not.

17. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Yes thats a much better word

18. ATLGATORFAN

ATLGATORFAN Premium Member

Aug 10, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    This is SOOOO dangerous and provocative. Really no words. I think they want conflict

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. BigCypressGator1981

Oct 11, 2011
    Ugh yeah that’s not good.